MMR vaccination study - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I don't usually post, but I read the forums most days. I wanted to ask for some opinions about a letter I received today.

It says: "The University of Stirling and NHS Forth Valley are working together to understand parents views of the MMR vaccine, and the influence of information from health professionals on the decision. We are writing to parents/carers of children born between 2001 - 2003 in Forth Valley. We hope to interview several parents who have immunised their child and several parents who have decided not to immunise their child with the MMR vaccination."

They want to do a 20-30 minute interview, which will be taped. The tapes are destroyed after they are finished with them, you are covered under the data protection act etc. It has been approved by the ethics commitee. It says this will be one of the first studies actually asking parents views on the vaccine, not just whether they have decided to vaccinate or not.

I'm quite interested in taking part. It feels like a great oppertunity to say how wrong and how useless vaccines actually are. I'd like to do a bit of reading and research of my own and see if I can come up with some good points.

TBH I've not really done a huge amount of vaccine research. It just felt wrong to me. I didn't want to have my children vaccinated. When i had my first child, they pretty much said I HAD to have her vaccinated, and the nurse took her out of my arms and brought her through to the doctor. She fell asleep straight after getting the DTP polio HIB and whatever else they gave her. She then slept for about 4 hours, which was extremely abnormal for her, being only 2 months old. Then she woke up and screamed and screamed for about 4 hours. There was nothing I could do to console her. She also had a lump in her leg where they'd injected her for several months after that. I never took her back for the rest of the vaccines. My two boys are completely unvaccinated. A few years ago I read a story about a baby who'd had her vaccinations, fell asleep for hours, then screamed for hours. She eventually fell asleep, and never woke up again. That could have been my daughter!

So, if you had a chance to give your views on the MMR vaccine, what would you want to say?

Sarah - from Scotland, UK, mother or 3, aged 5, 4 and 2.
#2 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
EVC

I would say that the risks of the MMR vax vastly outweigh the benefits. Measles, mumps, and rubella are NOT deadly diseases. Unpleasant, yes, debilitating, no. Then I would mention the autism connection. I would talk about Wakefield's study and mention that despite the fact that people have been bending over backwards to discredit him, his findings have recently been replicated by researchers in the US. I would mention the recent lawsuit in the UK by parents of two children who died after receiving the MMR. I would talk about the ingredients in vaccines--thimerosol, but also the other nasty stuff that I would not want injected into my child. And then I would talk about the fallacy of herd immunity and would mention that vax's aren't as effective as people would like to believe, citing the recent mumps outbreak in the US where the majority of people who caught it had been vax'ed for it (plus all of the adults walking around whose shots are out of date, yet who aren't dropping like flies for some reason). I think that would give me about 20-30 minutes of material.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#3 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I would recommend collecting some medical journal abstracts and some VAERS reports to bring along. For example, if you have the citation of the recent duplication of Wakefield's work in the U.S. you'll be in much better shape than just saying that you heard about this on the news.

Good luck,
Deborah
#4 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC
I would say that the risks of the MMR vax vastly outweigh the benefits. Measles, mumps, and rubella are NOT deadly diseases. Unpleasant, yes, debilitating, no. Then I would mention the autism connection. I would talk about Wakefield's study and mention that despite the fact that people have been bending over backwards to discredit him, his findings have recently been replicated by researchers in the US. I would mention the recent lawsuit in the UK by parents of two children who died after receiving the MMR.

Quote:
I would talk about the ingredients in vaccines--thimerosol, but also the other nasty stuff that I would not want injected into my child.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think there is thimerosol in the MMR...

Quote:
And then I would talk about the fallacy of herd immunity and would mention that vax's aren't as effective as people would like to believe, citing the recent mumps outbreak in the US where the majority of people who caught it had been vax'ed for it (plus all of the adults walking around whose shots are out of date, yet who aren't dropping like flies for some reason). I think that would give me about 20-30 minutes of material.
#5 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas. That's a lot to fit into 20-30 minutes!

I've been thinking a bit more about this, and now I am suspicious. This is a study funded by the NHS (National Health Service) They WANT you to give your children vaccinations. They are wanting to know my views on the MMR and how health professionals have influenced my view.

Maybe they're thinking "what are we doing wrong, why are people not vaccinating? Obviously our lies (sorry, I mean information) are not working. Lets interview some parents to see what we need to do to change our tactics."

If I tell them what worries me about vaccination they'll just find ways to explain away my worries, and other parents who maybe had the same worries will be reassured. Or am I just being too suspicious?

I'm not about to change the world or anything by sharing my views on MMR. The government will NEVER EVER turn round and say maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. But maybe I can just let them know that I am not completely brainwashed by them.
#6 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 06:40 PM

The CDC has done and continues to do this sort of "research" as well. The search function is disabled at the moment, but I'll link up a thread on what the CDC does when it's back up.
#7 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0404

So, if you had a chance to give your views on the MMR vaccine, what would you want to say?

Sarah - from Scotland, UK, mother or 3, aged 5, 4 and 2.
Sarah, my personal view is that I would never do it, because the only thing they are interested in is knowing what you think so that they can counter what you think with their own ten second "anti-dote".

You are there for them to gather data from to use against you.

So I wouldn't buy into that game.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#8 of 9 Old 06-23-2006, 09:40 PM

hehe, you can always go in pretending to be a sheeple. go to the NHS website and find out what all their reasons for vaxing are, then go into this interview and tell them what they want to hear by saying what they have on their site.
or, you can just say that you didnt do mmr because you went on the appt when dc was a year old and forgot to schedule an appt. then when they give you the "facts" on mmr, say "ooohh" and "ahhhh" and then swear to schedule the appt to get mmr asap so dc doesnt die. (hopefully dc wont be there so they wont try to jab him then and there!)
i think that no matter what viewpoint you take, you should definately mess with them. either play the queen of the sheeple or a big moron. and if they pay you for your time, well, then, you'll be a little richer for playing a game with them. you can laugh your way all the way to the bank. (bad pun, i know, but i couldnt resist.)
i agree with MT that they just want parents' negative views so that they can make more "studies" about how there is no link between mmr and autism. why did they pick mmr? why not hib? or dtap? they picked mmr because it is the vax most likely to be refused by parents. (or if its not #1, then its #2 because CP is #1.)
#9 of 9 Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm, so it's just a trick then. Oh well, bit disapointed. I really wanted to go along and give them a piece of my mind.

BTW, mysticprincess, we don't have a chicken pox vaccine over here (yet....) It's amazing we haven't all been wiped out by a chicken pox epidemic! My older two had chicken pox last summer. My baby caught it a week or two after. I was prepared for them to be feeling unwell, maybe have a temperature or something, but except for the spots you wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with them!

Thanks again for the replies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page