Non-vax friendly areas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2006, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does anyone have any idea how to search for non-vax friendly areas? We just moved to NC and I hate it here, so we are planning on moving somewhere else. Does anyone know of any good suggestions for areas in Northern Maine/New England, Central/Southern Indiana, Western Pennsylvania, or Ohio? I know this is general, I just don't want to make the same mistakes we did this time.

I know which exemptions each area has, but reading what they have and actually knowing how they'll treat you are different things.

I need an area where being non vaxed is more friendly and there are non-vax friendly docs and schools in the area.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just moved from Hampton NH My child is not vaxed But I would say the most friendly areas would be Maine Vermont Aspen colerado And the best place is Maui. Most Of Maui is full of holistic peolpe and Buinesess.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:25 PM

I'm not sure about the areas you listed, but I second the PP's mention of Colorado. I recall reading that Colorado has the lowest rate of vaxed people of all the states, especially the Boulder area. My midwives there said that none of their clients vax, and they gave me a list of several doctors/peds who are non-vax friendly. Natural health is popular there, which was part of our reason for moving there (and our reasons for moving back in the future).

I wish we could move back to CO today...I miss it so much...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 07-13-2006, 06:28 PM

This is a sweeping stereotype but the midwest is usually not exactly a place of open-mindedness. I grew up in Northern Indiana and whenever I am visiting and carrying Jake in the ergo they look at me like I have 3 heads. I can't even imagine what they would think if they knew he wasn't vaxed. My mom about fell over when I told her that it's actually suggested to bf to at least 2 yrs old. She said she's never heard of going past 4 mos lol.

Stick to the east...or better yet move out to the west coast. Very crunchy areas there.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah
I'm not sure about the areas you listed, but I second the PP's mention of Colorado. I recall reading that Colorado has the lowest rate of vaxed people of all the states, especially the Boulder area. My midwives there said that none of their clients vax, and they gave me a list of several doctors/peds who are non-vax friendly. Natural health is popular there, which was part of our reason for moving there (and our reasons for moving back in the future).

Hey Pariah I'd love a list of non-vax friendly peds, any in Denver that you know of?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 PM

Makes me wish i could move out to CO. lol
Old 07-13-2006, 07:06 PM

Although I think everywhere has their share of non vaxed and vaxed, Vermont is over all a pretty decent place to be. Breastfeeding/baby wearing, non vaxing are all pretty common place here. I go to the lactivism board here some an i realize quickly how different it is here!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 PM

I second the suggestion for VT. We live in NY but do everything in VT, right over the border, and it is really awesome for pretty much all NFL/AP type stuff. No vax, lots of breastfeeding, homebirth is legal, organic foods, etc. etc.

Amy

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Oregon is a fabulous place to be a crunchy mama. I know that's not in the area you asked for, but I just thought I'd throw that out there
Old 07-13-2006, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah

No CO for me. I am an eastern girl and my last trip through CO made me vow never ever to go back. Not to offend, I just had a horrible experience.

And I am from the midwest, born and raised-Cincy and Central IL. I know it's not very open minded, I just miss my family, and would like either somewhere I have always been in love with (northern new england) or something close to our families.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 AM

There is a small group of NFL non-vaxers in Northern Indiana
Old 07-14-2006, 12:52 AM

Are there other places in CO aside from the expensive aspen and boulder? DH and I were just talking about this subject yesterday, and are trying to find a cheaper crunchy-friendly CO place to live...

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM

maybe youre in the wrong place in nc. there's a lot of holistic drs in raleigh. plus, asheville (haha, i think its asheville, maybe ashboro?) sounds pretty crunchy. (whatever is the place in the mountains. it made peta's list as the most vegetarian friendly small city.) i dont like in nc (but am considering a move there within the next year), so i dont know how people's reactions would be. BIL and SIL just moved outside of charlotte, and they are not telling their neighbors that they are vegan. (maybe just saying that they are vegetarian, i'm not sure.)
maybe post in the tribal areas of the states/areas you are considering.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. I want out of NC just as quick as possible. We have some serious issues with fire ants, heat, and cost of living. I am in east NC, and I have heard that west NC is nice, but I want somewhere colder with much less ants. I am a bit traumatized. There is a small group of vegans, pagans, and UUs here, but it isn't enough to make me want to stay.

I am obviously quite picky about where to move. I have made enough mistakes and settled on too many crappy areas to give up my long list of requirements I have now.

Where in Northern IN are you thinking? I am seriously scared of anywhere within at least an hour of Gary. Lafayette, I have heard is nice. Columbus (southern IN) I have also heard is pretty good, I just don't know about the non-vax experiences there.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:41 PM

I am from Valparaiso which is within an hour from Gary but it is a whole different world. hebron has a cruncy mamas group check it out at http://indianabirthchoices.com/ No AK47's low crime, decent schools, and a lot of corn fields. Hebron is uber small but nice. Valpo is overpriced. Portage is becoming over-run. My in-laws just moved to Westville and love it. In Hebron the whole schoolK-12 is in a single building, although it is quite large. I never set foot in Gary until I went to college there and most people from Porter or Laporte county won't set foot there. The dunes in Chesterton has nice beaches. Oh and the homefirst group of doctors just accross the border in Illinois are anti-vax. There are some local docs though that respect the decision and a religious exemption is easy to get. You just have to write your own note saying you are oppossed to it and send it in. Southern Indiana (I think Indy) has been having a few midwifery stings but people are protesting that. I would not classify it as a super crunchy area but there is growing interest in the area and a great pediatric chiro about half an hour north in New buffalo MI. Plus you can ride the train into Chicago and a whole new world of alternative medicine opens up to you. The south shore is a very nice train that you can pick up in Chesterton. I have never had bums or anything on there. Having gone to college in Gary, it is run down, and there is crime, but most of the people are very nice and helpful and I never felt in danger. Most of the drug activity goes on at night or behind closed doors. I live in Mississippi at the moment so Northern Indiana seems so freeing to me at the moment.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:59 PM

Ann Arbor, MI would probably be a good fit for you. I wish we could trade... I'm from NC originally and would like to get back.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Old 07-14-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Can you tell me more about Ann Arbor? :

I really really hate large cities (20,000 is pushing it for me), but the crime rate looks really low in Ann Arbor! How are land/home prices in the area? Why don't you want to live there anymore? i.e. Is there something I should know?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 PM

You mentioned Maine. I lived in Portland for 2 1/2 years and there is a wonderful group of natural mamas there who BF, CD, HS, organic, and all that and most don't vax.

Plus they have awesome Mamas Nights Out!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 AM

We've got 5 acres in WI that is non-vax friendly!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Where at in WI? My stepdad has family up there and I love it. Is it close to any community colleges?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:15 AM

Hi Desiree. We moved to OH (North East, just east of Cleveland) from San Francisco and I have been slightly surprised by meeting people here who are slightly crunchy. There is a yahoo group for the crunchy mamas here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEohioAPcrunchyMamas/) and it seems to be a pretty big group. I'm not terribly involved in the group, but have met a few people from it and they are quite nice. I have some non-vax friends outside the group, and had no problem finding a doc that is fine with me not vaxing.

That said, I second (or third?) Vermont and Maine. Even New Hampshire (I'm from there originally), but probably more on the seacoast than inland. Massachusetts is pretty crunchy too.

And of course the west coast is wonderful, but it sounds like you want to be more east! (I miss CA terribly!!)

Good luck! Let me know if you decide on the Cleveland area and we can get together!

Melissa
Old 07-15-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826
I am obviously quite picky about where to move. I have made enough mistakes and settled on too many crappy areas to give up my long list of requirements I have now.
I thought I'd love NC too - I didn't. I lived in Raleigh and Clayton. It's too humid and hot and buggy and too BBQy.

I'm a picky mover too - I figure you can't figure out where you're meant to live until you try lots of places

DH and I are moving to CO or WA (probably) in a little over a year - I can't wait!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
Old 07-15-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826
Where at in WI? My stepdad has family up there and I love it. Is it close to any community colleges?
I don't think so. There's a UW Extension school in Sheboygan though. *IF* we need to see a doc, we drive down to Fox Point to see an MD there who is also a Homeopath. There's also another ped who isn't in agreement, but he doesn't ever hassel us about it all. Otherwise, we are most definitely in the minority here, but I don't really get any troubles for it. I have pretty much arranged things for us in such a way that I am quite comfortable living here with our lifestyle. There are all three exemptions allowed in WI too. You don't need to tell anyone anyways, just fill out a form if you plan on sending your kids to the schools.

For starters, living on 5 acres in the country helps with nosey neighbors, we don't have any!
Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
I don't think so. There's a UW Extension school in Sheboygan though. *IF* we need to see a doc, we drive down to Fox Point to see an MD there who is also a Homeopath. There's also another ped who isn't in agreement, but he doesn't ever hassel us about it all. Otherwise, we are most definitely in the minority here, but I don't really get any troubles for it. I have pretty much arranged things for us in such a way that I am quite comfortable living here with our lifestyle. There are all three exemptions allowed in WI too. You don't need to tell anyone anyways, just fill out a form if you plan on sending your kids to the schools.

For starters, living on 5 acres in the country helps with nosey neighbors, we don't have any!
Problem is, my dh refuses to work anywhere except community colleges. So that narrows things down quite quickly. :

Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 PM

CO is very beautiful, esp along the front range mountains...therefore the cost of living here tends to be up a little.
I live in Colorado Springs and had a legal homebirth, and also got friendly ped referrals from my mw.
It may also be of concern, the type of social services. El Paso country DHS/CPS has a good reputation for NOT paying caseworkers on the number of cases or number of kids they can take. They also do well with sorting the ppl crying for attn and the one's whose neighbors simply don't like them from the ppl who need help.
Had a friend who fell into the category of "The neighbors didn't like the way they fed their kids" and continually reported them. CPS would show up to investigate, per law, then leave and say 'have a good day'
Still a situation best avoided, though.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Another vote for CO. I am in Boulder and not vaxing is not an issue here at all.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 AM

I think NE Ohio is good.I have read a lot of postings from moms having good relations with doctors,and no issues with daycare/schools.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 AM

you can search for community colleges in all 50 states on this website:
http://www.50states.com/college/
there's links to all the colleges in each of the states.
if you think cost of living in bad in nc, dont ever consider moving to new york state!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Where at in NE ohio? I only drove through once when I was about 8 years old. So I don't know much about Ohio except the Cincy area. Wouldn't being that close to CLeveland mean a lot of crime problems?

Old 07-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Im in Madison, WI, and I can tell you that we are a pocket of Crunchyness is a rather closed minded midwest! I LOVE madison!!! Everywhere I go I see slings, and NIPing, and Iv never had a prob with anyone making any comments about any AP parenting stuff. Areas close to Madison, (depending on the specific one) can also be quite nice, some are very liberal, and some...well very "NOT"!!

User Tag List