Yikes, had a scare at the hospital..(re Hep B vax) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just gave birth at a military hospital and DH and I told every nurse and doctor we saw that DD was not to have the Hep B vax. When they took her to clean her off on the warming table (when they usually give the vax) they asked again and we both shouted "NO!" However, when I looked more closely at her discharge papers a couple days later they said she had been given the vax!!! : We raised hell at the Dr's office the next day and he was very apologetic (although he repeatedly told us there was "no harm" in it) and would bring it up to the nurses.
Anyhow, a few days later we get a call from the Dr. who delivered her and she said DD was actually not given the vax and it was a mistake in the paperwork. I am still a little suspicious and don't really trust them.

Anyway, in the end there was no harm, but I just wanted to tell everyone who gives birth at a hospital to BEWARE!!!
#2 of 33 Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBird
Anyhow, a few days later we get a call from the Dr. who delivered her and she said DD was actually not given the vax and it was a mistake in the paperwork. I am still a little suspicious and don't really trust them.
To find out for sure you can request a copy your daughter's complete hospital record. If you see a vax manufacturer and lot number written down anywhere, then the vaccine was administered. They are required by law to record this information.
#3 of 33 Old 07-20-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
If you see a vax manufacturer and lot number written down anywhere, then the vaccine was administered. They are required by law to record this information.
That's good stuff there!
#4 of 33 Old 07-20-2006, 11:31 PM

I'm sure they are so used to writing HepB (every single baby except yours!) in the file that the nurse recorded it by accident.

DD is also a military child and in her record it's recorded that she received a Hib and I KNOW she never did.
#5 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 AM

Moral of story. You can't even trust them to take them off to the warming table to clean them up.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#6 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 AM

We're mil but delivered at a civilian hospital. I acquired DS's medical records for reasons unrelated to vax and they'd marked on one page that he'd had the hep b vax. I nearly flipped my lid even though I knew it was impossible because he'd never left my side except for a few brief moments that he was with DH or my mom but I was still in the room. Stressful to read that. I'm sure they just marked it automatically. The funny thing is that bc we're mil he wouldn't have gotten the shot in the hospital anyway, he would have gotten it at his his first check up with the base ped.

ITA with moral of the story posted above. Trust no one. Be paranoid....(I'm not paranoid....I'm aware ).
#7 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 02:27 AM

Don't let your babys out of your sight in hospital is the best policy for all sorts of things.
I have a friend who's baby was given formula without consent who had a serious reaction to it and ended up seriously ill. Keep them with you at all times, you can't trust them to heed your wishes.
#8 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 02:33 AM

It really is frightening what they can get away with when its SOP.I had my Second child at a military hospital with just my doula present.While she was making sure I was supported the nurse gave him a hep shot and then after the fact read my paperwork and said woops! like no big deal.: This was after I had made my wishes known before labor had even started so it wasn't like they didn't have time to know.This time around I was wise to thier tricks and had someone assigned as baby guard.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#9 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 02:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Moral of story. You can't even trust them to take them off to the warming table to clean them up.
I have always refused, in writing even, to never take my baby from me. Of course, this last time, they took her anyways and kept her from me.

My 10 yr old dd, the afterbirth was perfect! The OB laid her on my chest, she latched on right away, before her cord was even cut. they never took her, even used the old kind of hanging scale to weigh her, just weighed the blanket, set scale to zero, and then used the same blanket as a kind of sling and weighed my baby so fast neither of us really felt like we had separated.
#10 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just gave birth at a military hospital and DH and I told every nurse and doctor we saw that DD was not to have the Hep B vax. When they took her to clean her off on the warming table (when they usually give the vax) they asked again and we both shouted "NO!" However, when I looked more closely at her discharge papers a couple days later they said she had been given the vax!!! :
If you had it in writing anywhere before birth, get a lawyer and sue for malpractice! Even if they say they didn't give it, then they were wrong for writing down that they did.
If no lawyers will help, then make sure to write the Board of Directors, Doctors and nurses, etc. File a formal complaint with the Health Board.

If we stay quiet, we have no voice and lose our rights.

And, CONGRATS on your new baby!
#11 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 AM

I hope truely that it hasn't been done, though it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Docs have some sneaky ways of overriding parents' wishes.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Oh mama I hope not!!! I agree that the nurses probably just marked it on his chart and it was not given. Did you notice any mark on his thigh? Like LI said check for a lot #. Was your DH standing right there at the time? If your baby wasn't out of your sight after that I doubt they injected him with it. That is scary though to think that it could happen without your consent, or on accident and the fact that an error was written on his hospital records

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 07:28 AM

They routinely give Heb B vaccine to newborns? I find that shocking!

PrettyBird, it's sounds like they just ticked the box because that's what they usually do, but from what you said your baby couldn't have been away from you for long enough.
#14 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
To find out for sure you can request a copy your daughter's complete hospital record. If you see a vax manufacturer and lot number written down anywhere, then the vaccine was administered. They are required by law to record this information.
Thanks!! I am going to do this on Monday when we go back for her 2 week appt. In the meantime I am going to try to find someplace else for her to go. Difficult since we are military and I need insurance to cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
If you had it in writing anywhere before birth, get a lawyer and sue for malpractice! Even if they say they didn't give it, then they were wrong for writing down that they did.
If no lawyers will help, then make sure to write the Board of Directors, Doctors and nurses, etc. File a formal complaint with the Health Board.

If we stay quiet, we have no voice and lose our rights.

And, CONGRATS on your new baby!
Unfortunately we did not have anything in writing. We were told there were some consent forms but apparently there were not. Lesson learned. And thank you! She's beautiful for sure!
#15 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife
Oh mama I hope not!!! I agree that the nurses probably just marked it on his chart and it was not given. Did you notice any mark on his thigh? Like LI said check for a lot #. Was your DH standing right there at the time? If your baby wasn't out of your sight after that I doubt they injected him with it. That is scary though to think that it could happen without your consent, or on accident and the fact that an error was written on his hospital records
I did not notice any marks or band-aids. DH was standing right there to help give her her bath, but he was also looking back at me getting my tears sewn up (in astonishment I think!) so it is possible he could have missed it. She roomed in, so she was with us the entire time.

I wish I could have gotten TRICARE to pay for a birth center but they are impossible to deal with.
#16 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeg
They routinely give Heb B vaccine to newborns? I find that shocking!
And the eye goop (Silver Nitrate, Erythomycin, Tetracycline) because all women are lying whores.
#17 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I wish I could have gotten TRICARE to pay for a birth center but they are impossible to deal with.
We were able to do so. All we had to ask for was a statement of non-availability.
#18 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 PM

I am a nurse but do not work OB/GYN. I believe the shot was not given. You have no idea the paperwork we have to do for everything! Sometimes a nurse will chart ahead of time (to save time) and may have checked it before you told her you didn't want the vax. She may have then forgot to go back and correct the paperwork. Some paperwork is so routine that she probably just charted it out of habit. If there are no marks (tiny scabs, or even bruises) on the outside of the thighs, then the shot wasn't given. It would last several days, and may even be swollen. As another poster said, the definitive way to see if the shot was given would be to request a copy of the chart and look for a lot number and expiration date of the vax. If there is none, the vax was not given. Im sorry this is causing you stress. I hope that you find your answers and peace.
#19 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 PM

This kind of reminds me of a story in the Circ forum right now: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=485850 These things are why I just would go nuts delivering in a hospital! Mistakes- or outright deceptions- do happen.

Except there's no way to pretend a circ didn't happen.

Sorry mama I really hope your baby didn't get the shot.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#20 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM

I am 100% convinced that the majority of women and their newborns would be MUCH safer giving birth unassisted in a back alley than in a hospital.
#21 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
And the eye goop (Silver Nitrate, Erythomycin, Tetracycline) because all women are lying whores.
OMG...you're a lying whore? ME TOO!!!

My husband is also a compulsive adulturer and I'm too dumb to notice! How I love that slutty man of mine .
#22 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 06:20 PM

April!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#23 of 33 Old 07-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
You forgot the bit about being paranoid, neurotic, lying whores....

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#24 of 33 Old 07-22-2006, 07:14 PM

We put our wishes in writing and made multiple copies to hand out to everyone. Each copy said basically that our child was not to be taken without one of us resent and NOTHING was to be done without our written consent. My midwife applauded us for it and the nurses adored our family even though we were not willing to budge on our beliefs.
I had one nurse who was so appalled that we wouldn't let her take our dd to bathe her
#25 of 33 Old 07-22-2006, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's one of the many reasons why I don't birth in hospitals. lol

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#26 of 33 Old 07-22-2006, 11:32 PM

When I had DD#3 I demanded to leave after 12 hours. (How the hell do they expect new mothers to "rest" with noisy room mates and annoying nurses that wake you up?) A few weeks later I got a bill from the Ped not only for seeing her on the 12, but for the 13th as well. I called them and demanded they take the charge off so they did. I then asked them if they were going to call the insurance company (because they paid part of it) and they said no, it doesn't really matter it was only $50. (and we wonder why insurance rates are so high.) So figuring the insurance company wouldn't see things the same way I took it upon myself to inform them that they were charged for services that were never rendered. I was assured they would demand a refund from the Peds office. (MY ped didn't go to this hospital and they hospital they did go to my midwife didnt recommend so this was just a one time ped visit.)

Anyway my long winded point is, they were so used to seeing babies on day one and day two that no one bothered to check her chart and just automatically charged me for the 2nd day. That is probably what happened with the HepB shot.
#27 of 33 Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns
I had one nurse who was so appalled that we wouldn't let her take our dd to bathe her
LOL that reminds me....we didn't have DS bathed for about a day or so (and probably won't bathe next DC at all for a number of days) and so the nurses at the hospital (in Small Town, USA) kept referring to him as a biohazard....as in "Make sure you put on gloves, that baby hasn't been washed and is a biohazard". ...bolding and italics are theirs vocally . I mean, I get why they said that, but really, it was clear they were trying to make a point (IOW, "don't rock the boat, Lady, we'll say mean things about DS").

It worked out great for us though because noone touched DS without gloves on so he didn't get any of the god-knows-what from the rest of the hospital on him. I won't even get into how many times I saw them not follow universal precautions, so them using gloves before touching him was definitely in our best interest (one nurse picked up some towels with blood on them off my bathroom floor with no gloves on... gross :Puke)
#28 of 33 Old 07-23-2006, 01:33 AM

They charge for things here as a matter of "routine" also....
There is one decent CNM who works at the local hospital, who "allows" women to have the most natural experience you can get in our local hospital.....waterbirth tub, no IV, eat during labor, no meds, different positions, etc. (she only had 2 C/S out of about 90 births last year)
EVERY single one of the people i know who have used her have to fight with their insurance, because they get billed for an IV and fluids, when they never got one. the last one was actually told "even though you didn't USE it, we had it "on standby" for you in case you needed it, therefore you have to pay for it" WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! This from a woman who had no intentions whatsoever of allowing an IV for any reason, (except EMER. C/section, of course!) My frien was also charged for pain meds and sutures she didn't get....(but everyone gets cut and takes pain meds, right?)
sigh

CPST
#29 of 33 Old 07-23-2006, 01:58 AM

Quote:

My DH and I just had a good laugh over this one.
#30 of 33 Old 07-23-2006, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dat's why I birthed #2 at home in the tub, with my mom and hubby and 2 year old looking on.

Here in China there's NO recourse for "mistakes", no accountability, even worse than the US (except there's only incredulity at, not contempt for, alternative practices)

Glad I live here to prod me on to an unassisted birth--was the best birth in the world, 4 hrs, easy, calm, fun, natural. I'll never go back to assisted birth in any form!!!

Liora
Beijing

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page