vaccines for healthcare workers... I'm wary! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
Used to read this board all the time years ago...

I am now working in the healthcare field at a prenatal clinic, and in the hospital as a doula. IT is great work that I adore. However, what I do not adore are the mandated vaccines healthcare workers must have. For me, it is MMR, I think Hep, and newly, Pertussis! Yes pertussis which to my understanding is not given to those over the age of 7 due to increased risk of a bad reaction.. apparently there is a new vax out there for adults. I reacted very badly to an MMR booster in college many years ago and have not had a shot since (going on 17 years now. That is also how long I have had MS, but that is another story...). I am scared of all shots since my episode long ago, but I understand the reasons healthcare workers must have some of them... Any othre heathcare workers out there that have dealt with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Pen

Yes, I've had to deal with mandatory vax. I have MS since my vax. (not related, I can assure you, since the doctor said so.
I can't work now. But I'm still interested.
I'll be lurking here looking for the same advice.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:18 PM

As long as whoever you're working for gets any public $$ (medicare/medicaid etc) then my understanding is that they can not descriminate against employees for religious reasons. As long as you claim a religious objection to vaccination I don't think they can make you.

-Angela
Old 07-24-2006, 07:40 PM
EVC

Quote:
I have MS since my vax.
By any chance was it HepB?

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Now the religious thing is interesting... I was wondering if there was a waiver/form similar to what I use to get around it for my kiddos, all of whom attend public school. Some places require proof of membership tot he religion. I am just thinking that b/c it is a healthcare facility they adhere to mandates moreso than other places where this is concerned.. ? It is a gov't funded clinic.

User Tag List