No MMR for my DS - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 08-05-2006, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought this would be an appropriate place to celebrate this decision! My ds is fully vaxed up to this point but dh and I have severe reservations about the MMR and as the separate vaccines are not available in Canada have decided not to go ahead with it. It goes without saying that he won't get chickenpox vax which is ridiculous. We come from a country where people deliberately try to get their kids to get the pox to protect them from shingles so a vax seems weird!

Anyhoo was chatting to my mum about this decision and she was very supportive and just said that if it felt wrong not to do it as if anything happened we'd feel terrible. Then she gave me lots of advice about what to do if he got measles as she was a nurse in the 60's and when she was growing up saw a lot of it. Then she told me that not only did I have mumps as a kid (which I knew) but that I also had measles! Hurrah as I have bfed ds up to now so he has got that from me. Also dh had it as a child and recovered fine so we obviously are a good pairing!

Just wanted to say Yay, and be happy about our decision. We are going to look v carefully at vaxes going forward so I'm sure I'll be back here for info. Now I just have to tell my doctor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-05-2006, 11:29 AM

Yay for you for making a decision you both feel good about. Its nice to get to that place, isn't it?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#3 of 9 Old 08-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Good on you for coming to the descision that is right for you and your family. All my kids are unvaxed, since finding mdc not long ago,a near one with tetanus vax at er after ds had bad fall of bike brought me here, I have been doing lots of research into the stuff I shoulda been looking at last 14 years,have been bringing up kids on own so its been busy. I've always, in myself, felt safer knowing my kids have not been injected with dubious substances. All the best

#4 of 9 Old 08-05-2006, 12:45 PM

yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina
Then she gave me lots of advice about what to do if he got measles as she was a nurse in the 60's and when she was growing up saw a lot of it.
: please share.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#5 of 9 Old 08-05-2006, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

My mum said the most important thing when dealing with measles, apart from the general giving plenty of fluids and rest and watching the fever etc, was that they MUST be kept in a dark room to avoid overstressing the retina and causing distress due to photosensivity caused by the illness. She said that they probably don't recommend it now but that was always considered crucial in avoiding one of the worst side affects which is blindness.

Don't know what the latest info is but if ds gets measles (and as I had it I assume my mum knows what she's talking about) I'll be keeping the curtains closed until he's better.

Sorry if this is something everyone but me knows
#6 of 9 Old 08-05-2006, 04:38 PM

sorry
im an idiot

CPST
#7 of 9 Old 08-05-2006, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't know what the latest info is but if ds gets measles (and as I had it I assume my mum knows what she's talking about) I'll be keeping the curtains closed until he's better.
I always wanted my curtains closed when i was home sick anyway, even if it was just a cold. I just layed in bed, rested, slept and drunk all day.
#8 of 9 Old 08-29-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
My mum said the most important thing when dealing with measles, apart from the general giving plenty of fluids and rest and watching the fever etc, was that they MUST be kept in a dark room to avoid overstressing the retina and causing distress due to photosensivity caused by the illness. She said that they probably don't recommend it now but that was always considered crucial in avoiding one of the worst side affects which is blindness.
Light sensitivity with the measles is due to a vitamin A deficiency.

-Angela
#9 of 9 Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Light sensitivity with the measles is due to a vitamin A deficiency.

This is why they give Vitamin A in places like Africa, which have a high rate of measles. The WHO states:

For children, lack of vitamin A causes severe visual impairment and blindness, and significantly increases the risk of severe illness, and even death, from such common childhood infections as diarrhoeal disease and measles.

For pregnant women in high-risk areas, vitamin A deficiency occurs especially during the last trimester when demand by both the unborn child and the mother is highest. The mother’s deficiency is demonstrated by the high prevalence of night blindness during this period.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page