Does anyone know if Opsoclonus Myoclonus Syndrome is related to vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm just curious about something. My DH's co-worker recently resigned to stay home with her her 18-month baby, who's developed Opsoclonus Myoclonus Syndrome. I'd never heard of it, but she forwarded this link to the office:
http://www.omsusa.org/
The baby came down with this syndrome very soon after getting her 18-month shots, and the mother initially thought there was some connection. The onset was so sudden and scary. But of course, all the doctors have pooh-pooh'd any correlation.

As I said, I know nothing about it, and my DH doesn't even talk about it much because it's so upsetting to him. But it just seems like such a coincidence that her neurological disorder would pop up right after vaccination. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Indeed! What a "coincidence".

And what do the doctors attribute the sudden neurological damage in a previously perfectly healthy child?

In nature there is nothing "sudden". It takes time to develop. Sudden damage only happens after something that was done by man not nature.

In my mind there is no doubt that vaccines have been damaging this child that the 18 mo vaccine was the final straw.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM

Well, this is a quote from the FAQ's on the website you linked:

Quote:
Immunizations

Q: "I am scared that my child will get Chickenpox. It was suggested to us that she could have the vaccine after being off of IVIG for 8 months. We were told that if we know she has been in contact with chicken pox to bring her in to get the vaccine because it would be better than a full-blown case. I know that many parents choose not to continue with immunizations of any kind. What is your advice on this matter?"

We advise giving VZIG when there is a known exposure to chickenpox because chickenpox can cause severe cerebellar ataxia in some childen.

Q: "My daughter is in pre-school until August and then starts Kindergarten in September. Her school is requesting that she is immunized. How do I make that decision or do you just mandate that OMS children shouldn't get immunized?"

It's always a tough call. We make an individual recommendation based on assessment of the risk of relapse and the risk of serious illness. Some of the questions for that assessment are:

1) How many times has the child relapsed previously?
2) How many serious infections has the child had?
3) Does he/she relapse consistently with illnesses?
4) Are the symptoms of OMS currently controlled?
5) Is he/she immunosuppressed?

No matter how scientific you are about it, it's still a roll of the dice. Certainly,
no live virus vaccines should ever be given and multiple vaccines should not be given at once or in close proximity. Some parents choose to test the water by giving one that's less likely to cause a problem, like HIB, and see how it's tolerated.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:29 PM

hmmmmmmmm seems fishy to me too
Old 08-11-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Indeed! What a "coincidence".

And what do the doctors attribute the sudden neurological damage in a previously perfectly healthy child?
From what I've heard, the baby was totally healthy until one morning she woke up and couldn't walk. It took months to diagnose her, but the one thing the doctors were "sure" of was that it wasn't vaccine-related.

It's not my place to say anything to the mom, and I don't know what purpose it would serve at this point anyway. It's just so sad.

This is just the kind of thing that I've shed so many guilty tears over, knowing that I fully vaxed my DD until she was 24 months.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
Old 08-11-2006, 06:05 PM

my first grandson was vaccinated until he was about 16 mo, I believe. Anyway he got the measles component of the MMR because we thought we were sooo smart doing one vaccine at a time. Then his cousin was diagnosed with autism and we saw that my grandson showed some of the very same characteristics.

Now we are smarter, and we make better decisions. He never received another vaccine nor any medicine. He outgrew all symptoms and is super healthy now. We were lucky (so far).

I have two more grandsons who have never received any vaccine whatsoever nor have they ever received any allopathic medicine. And that is the way it will be.

When we know better we do better. That is all we can do.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntNi
I'm just curious about something. My DH's co-worker recently resigned to stay home with her her 18-month baby, who's developed Opsoclonus Myoclonus Syndrome. I'd never heard of it, but she forwarded this link to the office:
http://www.omsusa.org/
The baby came down with this syndrome very soon after getting her 18-month shots, and the mother initially thought there was some connection. The onset was so sudden and scary. But of course, all the doctors have pooh-pooh'd any correlation.

As I said, I know nothing about it, and my DH doesn't even talk about it much because it's so upsetting to him. But it just seems like such a coincidence that her neurological disorder would pop up right after vaccination. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
I have never heard of this so did a quick google search, and from what I can tell, it can be viral related and mumps were mentioned in the 2nd link. Did this child get an mmr vaccine? Or any live virus vaccine at that visit? Both of these sites suggest immune related problem, and vaccines are designed to "trick" the immune system. I have learned over time that the immune system may not fall for it. Both links are from the site you listed,

http://www.omsusa.org/pranzatelli-Brochure1.htm

and

http://www.omsusa.org/oms080201a.pdf
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Check out this research article- they believe Opsoclonus Myoclonus Syndrome was brought on be a combination of vaccines and a virus...

www.scirp.org/journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=20877

User Tag List