Flu and pneumonia vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My IL's(in there 50's) are flu and pneum. shot fanatics. Meaning they are obbessed w/ getting them every yr :

Even after she caught pnem. after getting the vax before and the flu several times. She gets the flu a couple times every yr and usually lots of other illnesses. I know......crazy and long story.

Anyway, the point of my question-are either one of these vaccines live?

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Flumist is live.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 PM

I kwym..my parents WERE the same way. Dad died of March after catching the flu-but not from the flu-he had lung disease-complicated things you know? Anyway, he HAD the flu vax I begged him not to get. He got it yearly. As did my Mom-who also caught the flu. My sister told me before he passed he urged her to get the vax! I was so mad and upset. Not at him but at the overall ignorance of everyone involved. Only one of the unvaxed people got the flu. (We were all around my parents-at least 15 of us-the one who got it was barely around them.) the Doc who actually said " Why didn't it take?" and tehn triedto blame my MOM for giving it to him!

So they will ine up like cattle soon. Asking WHY I won't join, what about Dad. Sis will goon about her best friend who is all for vax and is inventiong more... : I will be looekd at as the ignorant one-who wants to be natural and is just so stupid. It hurts. They can tell me this from their weekly Doc and drug store visits...
Old 08-14-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebesho2
I kwym..my parents WERE the same way. Dad died of March after catching the flu-but not from the flu-he had lung disease-complicated things you know? Anyway, he HAD the flu vax I begged him not to get. He got it yearly. As did my Mom-who also caught the flu. My sister told me before he passed he urged her to get the vax! I was so mad and upset. Not at him but at the overall ignorance of everyone involved. Only one of the unvaxed people got the flu. (We were all around my parents-at least 15 of us-the one who got it was barely around them.) the Doc who actually said " Why didn't it take?" and tehn triedto blame my MOM for giving it to him!

So they will ine up like cattle soon. Asking WHY I won't join, what about Dad. Sis will goon about her best friend who is all for vax and is inventiong more... : I will be looekd at as the ignorant one-who wants to be natural and is just so stupid. It hurts. They can tell me this from their weekly Doc and drug store visits...
So sorry about your Dad

It is crazy how people get about the flu vax. I am actually going to try to casually talk him before he goes to get it this yr. I may hand him a little info. If it is a live vax I may want to stay home for a few days and not come around. We are very healthy, but I don't me or dd to catch the flu if we could obvioulsy prevent it, or am I totally off here? Is that silly to even think that?

Old 08-16-2006, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
If it is a live vax I may want him to stay home for a few days and not come around. We are very healthy, but I don't me or dd to catch the flu if we could obvioulsy prevent it, or am I totally off here? Is that silly to even think that?
bumming, b/c I am wondering about this?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:07 PM

I dont nessicarily think its silly to avoid catching the flu if you can...but just as a personal anicdote, DH was home from work for 5 days with a raging flu this year, and DS got nothing. We were also around several other kiddos who had the flu and DS still got nothing. I think if you all are healthy, take your vit C, and DC isnt vaxed, you may not end up with DC sick even if thier is exposure.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:52 PM

They get Pneumovax every year? That's a no-no.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks CNutty

and I'm not sure if they get the Pneumovax EVERY yr? But it seems likes MIL does? and they both for sure get the flu one every yr.

User Tag List