How much aluminum is too much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-23-2006, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still researching this issue. What do you think of what I have so far?

Research Stuff - Did you know you should take it easy on the antacids? Taking too many antacids can have ill effects. All Bolding and Italics mine. Below is information from the drug insert.

This information is from http://www.drugs.com/cons/Tums_Ultra.html

Pregnancy-Studies on effects in pregnancy have not been done in either humans or animals. However, there have been reports of antacids causing side effects in babies whose mothers took antacids for a long time, especially in high doses during pregnancy. Also, sodium-containing medicines should be avoided if you tend to retain (keep) body water.

Breast-feeding-Some aluminum-, calcium-, or magnesium-containing antacids may pass into breast milk. However, these medicines have not been reported to cause problems in nursing babies. Because when do you notice the effects of aluminum poisoning?

Children-Antacids should not be given to young children (under 6 years of age) unless ordered by their doctor. Since children cannot usually describe their symptoms very well, a doctor should first check the child. The child may have a condition that needs other treatment. If so, antacids will not help and may even cause unwanted effects or make the condition worse. In addition, aluminum- or magnesium-containing medicines should not be given to premature or very young children because they may cause serious side effects, especially when given to children who have kidney disease or who are dehydrated. If they know it causes serious side effects in young children, then it can be assumed that the nursing baby is also affected. Same for the unborn child.

Older adults-Aluminum-containing antacids should not be used by elderly persons with bone problems or with Alzheimer's disease. The aluminum may cause their condition to get worse.

Side Effects:

For aluminum-containing antacids (including magaldrate) Bone pain; constipation (severe and continuing); feeling of discomfort (continuing); loss of appetite (continuing); mood or mental changes; muscle weakness; swelling of wrists or ankles; weight loss (unusual)

From Tums.com frequently asked questions - http://www.tums.com/faqs_contents.asp

Does TUMS® contain aluminum? TUMS® does not contain aluminum as an active ingredient. Some TUMS® are formulated with dyes that may contain non-absorbable aluminum in very trace amounts. This aluminum is complexed, not free aluminum, which again means that it is not available for absorption by the body. Although aluminum can be a neurotoxin in large amounts, no clear connection between aluminum intake and the development of Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease, or Lou Gehrig's Disease has been established. Aluminum is poorly absorbed from the intestines and the small amount that is absorbed is excreted by the kidneys, so no accumulation is expected. Moreover, calcium has been shown to reduce aluminum absorption and can thereby protect against aluminum entering and building up in the body.

So, there has been no studies proved on aluminum causing Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, or Lou Gehrig's. But they clearly state if you have Alzheimer's, you shouldn't take them because the Aluminum will make it worse. Aluminum causes neurological damage. Of course it's not considered an active ingredient - it doesn't settle the stomach! But it's still in there. What about when the kidneys are damaged or overworked?

From Healthbanks.com - http://healthbanks.com/PatientPortal...eID=HW5hw94857

For people with occasional, mild to moderate symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), antacids are often all that is needed to control the symptoms. Many doctors will recommend long-term use of antacids if they help relieve your GERD symptoms. Do not use antacids for more than 2 weeks unless you have talked with your doctor about taking them on a long-term basis.

Calcium carbonate (such as Rolaids or Tums) can stimulate acid rebound in some people. Acid rebound occurs when taking antacids causes the stomach to produce even more acid, making heartburn worse. However, this is very rare. It may also cause constipation in some people.

Aluminum-containing antacids (such as Maalox, Gaviscon, or Mylanta) can cause constipation. If used too often by people with chronic kidney failure, antacids containing aluminum can lead to too much aluminum in the blood.

Thus, you keep taking the antacid because the symtoms are there... How much is passes to the fetus? How much is passed to the nursing baby? How much aluminum is too much? How much is ok to put in tums or vaccines???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Since aluminum alters gene expression in the brain at nanomolar concentrations I'm guessing that even low amounts of aluminum (<1mg) are too much. JMO
#3 of 13 Old 08-23-2006, 05:08 PM

#4 of 13 Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 PM

wow....and I thought because tums and rolaids were just calcium, they were safe.
#5 of 13 Old 08-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

Hep B vaccine
Quote:
Pediatric/Adolescent: Each 0.5-mL dose contains 10 mcg of hepatitis B surface antigen adsorbed on 0.25 mg aluminum as aluminum hydroxide.
And this is what is given to newborns!!! :
#6 of 13 Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM

I feel so guilty that I didnt know sooner
#7 of 13 Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
How much aluminum is too much?
Do you think you have a deficiency?

Aluminium is in our anti-perspirants, soaps, and in our baked goods also. It is suspected in old-timers' disease, but the aluminium industry poo-poos that idea.

Quote:
wow....and I thought because tums and rolaids were just calcium, they were safe.
Tums® and Rolaids® are calcium carbonate; the human body cannot absorb calcium in this form. It is totally useless as a calcium supplement. You can use it to write on the sidewalk, though, since that is what chalk is.
#8 of 13 Old 08-24-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able
Do you think you have a deficiency?

Aluminium is in our anti-perspirants, soaps, and in our baked goods also. It is suspected in old-timers' disease, but the aluminium industry poo-poos that idea.

Tums® and Rolaids® are calcium carbonate; the human body cannot absorb calcium in this form. It is totally useless as a calcium supplement. You can use it to write on the sidewalk, though, since that is what chalk is.

I don't have a deficiency. My DD#2 has neurological damage, caused, I am certain, in part by vaccines. (Know this because we saw regression.) I am also researching what other environmental factors may have helped cause this damage - the fact that I had heartburn like a MoFo during her pregnancy and (thanks to the OB's suggestion) I popped Tums like candy, going through three Costco-sized bottles? How much aluminum did she get from that?

As you can see... I'm still angry about it... and the more I read the angrier I get. I am hoping that the research I do will help my process it and learn to move forward.
#9 of 13 Old 08-24-2006, 02:42 PM

is there aluminum in all tums? or just ones with specific dyes?
#10 of 13 Old 08-24-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant
I don't have a deficiency. My DD#2 has neurological damage, caused, I am certain, in part by vaccines. (Know this because we saw regression.) I am also researching what other environmental factors may have helped cause this damage - the fact that I had heartburn like a MoFo during her pregnancy and (thanks to the OB's suggestion) I popped Tums like candy, going through three Costco-sized bottles? How much aluminum did she get from that?

As you can see... I'm still angry about it... and the more I read the angrier I get. I am hoping that the research I do will help my process it and learn to move forward.
You might try giving her some zeolite...it's supposed to be able to pull heavy metals from the tissues-my father has cancer and is taking it-the drops are more expensive, and more effective than the power. He puts them in his water and can't taste them.

Might help a little, anyway...
#11 of 13 Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 AM

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but
it's the aluminum industry that is responsible for fluoride in our tap water.
It was a hazardous waste product (a byproduct of the processing) that they had to pay to get rid of and now they can sell it to cities to poison (I mean, HELP- wink, wink) the citizens.
And they also say ingesting AL is safe- interesting.
Not like they have something to gain from us believing them.
#12 of 13 Old 08-25-2006, 12:21 PM

If you go over to the main AAP site & enter "aluminum" into the search box it pulls up some interesting articles/policy statements about various aluminum sources & issues. There was also an older thread that had lots of goodies in it. I'll go see if I can find it & bump it up...
#13 of 13 Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Nope, no bumping - it's in the archives:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=298412

User Tag List