ISO the definitive book of caring for sick kids... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-26-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a book (there must be one out there!) that will help me learn how to care for my child if she should become ill. I am interested in vpd's as well as other types of sicknesses that affect kids. I want to learn what she should take, if she should fast, drink fluids, etc. I know the basics -but I feel like if she gets sick I will need something to guide me along, and I'd like to have some things on hand. I see a lot here on different types of vitamin c, but I don't know when to give, how much, what type, etc. I'd also like to learn what my dd and I should take for supplements each day.

There must be one great book out there....anyone?? MT?? Any suggestions??

-chelsea dust.gif
#2 of 16 Old 08-26-2006, 10:44 PM

I really like: How to Have a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor, by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn. It's a very reassuring read when your kid has a fever, or is vomiting. It shows you how TLC will get you and your family through almost anything. He is also very good at pointing out the times when you SHOULD go see a doctor.

We're very healthy around here, and I find that the book helps with that.

I don't know of a book that is good for suggesting diet and supplements and which homepothy remedy to try, etc.--does anyone know?

HTH,
Laura

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#3 of 16 Old 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. I do have How to Have a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor. I actually got that while pg, and I do like it. I am looking for something more disease specific, with actually supplement suggestions, etc. Thanks for the reply!

-chelsea dust.gif
#4 of 16 Old 08-26-2006, 11:01 PM

One of my favorites is "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child" or something like that, I wore out my first copy and have graduated to a second copy...so um...yeah...I would say I use it alot.
#5 of 16 Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 PM

I have heard things about Aviva Jill Romm's "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health." I have it on order with Amazon, but they keep delaying the shipment. Not sure if there are problems with the publisher or what the deal is but I can't wait to read it!
#6 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I don't know of a book that is good for suggesting diet and supplements and which homepothy remedy to try, etc.--does anyone know?
The book that someone already mentioned 'Smart Medicine For A Healthier Child' does just that. Every parent should own this book, it's worth it's weight in gold.
#7 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 01:44 AM

Let's Have Healthy children by Adelle Davis (old but GOOD!)
#8 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammom
I have heard things about Aviva Jill Romm's "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health."
I have this one .

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 02:33 AM

ditto Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child (I have the "grown up" version too,lol).

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#10 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 02:37 AM

I wasn't able to find Aviva's book that pp listed. Amazon kept delaying and finally canceled the order. I'd heard great things about it!
#11 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 05:23 AM

I have heard good things about this book:

Child Health Guide: Holistic Pediatrics for Parents
By: Randall Neustaedter

I will be getting in the mail any day now. I will let you know.
#12 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 05:37 AM

I like Smart medicine Janet Zand et al.Here is a page from her older edition book on cp:
http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=239
#13 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

mattemma04- I just looked at that link...She recommends tylenol for cp. I thought that it was not a good idea to reduce the fever...any thoughts? Maybe her other suggestions are accurate, but that bothered me. I also looked on that website, and she suggests tylenol for measles too. I didn't look up any other pages. Of course, I ordered the book earlier today, so we'll see what I think when I get it! It did seem to have some really good info too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered "Child Health Guide: Holistic Pediatrics for Parents" and "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child" so far...
Aviva's book was a 2-5 week wait, so I thought I'd try elsewhere.

-chelsea dust.gif
#14 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
...She recommends tylenol for cp. I thought that it was not a good idea to reduce the fever...any thoughts? Maybe her other suggestions are accurate, but that bothered me. I also looked on that website, and she suggests tylenol for measles too.
When I read something like that it serves as a complete turn off to me. My kids all had some childhood diseases as did my husband and I (50 some years ago) and we never needed any *modern medicine*.
#15 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilnikche
I have heard good things about this book:

Child Health Guide: Holistic Pediatrics for Parents
By: Randall Neustaedter

I will be getting in the mail any day now. I will let you know.
I forgot that I have this! Duh! It is also very good. I think it's good to have a combo of books to reference.

BurgundyElephant, I am worried that they are going to cancel my order for the Romm book... (I think I saw a previous post of yours asking about where to find one of her books - it must've been this one!) If they end up getting it to me, I will let you know!
#16 of 16 Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Well, one thing about the smart medicine book for a healthier child...it is written for mainstream people who are going from conventional to natural medicine. With each disease it gives the conventional treatment, then it gives the herbal, homeopathic, and other natural remedies to use instead. So, yes it does recommend fever reducers, and says to contact a doctor if the child's fever goes over 102, which we don't do. If you are already super crunchy than maybe some of the more specific herbal and homeopathic books for children would be a better choice. My mom lives with us and to her doctors are Gods whose every suggestion is to hear and obey, so it helps to have the book there explaining in black and white what the medical religion would do and what we are doing instead...it smooths things over. Not everyone needs that in a book, but it has been helpful for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page