Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/06/op...th&oref=slogin

Quote:
Editorial
Vaccine Futures

September 6, 2006

One of the big reasons that companies don’t try to develop vaccinations for poor-country diseases is that they fear there won’t be a market for them. So what if rich countries promised to buy them?

That’s the very simple idea behind a new plan to entice companies into making vaccines for illnesses that mostly kill poor people, like malaria and tuberculosis. The program will be discussed by finance officials from wealthy nations at a meeting in Rome tomorrow. It works like this: Rich countries commit to pay a specific amount to help poor countries buy a guaranteed supply of a needed, effective vaccine. The subsidy would allow the manufacturer to recoup its investment and earn a profit. The company agrees that after it has received the pledged amount, it will sell to poor countries cheaply.

A panel of experts recommended that the idea be tried first to promote a vaccine against pneumococcal disease, which kills about 1.6 million people a year, making it the leading vaccine-preventable cause of death. AIDS is making this kind of infection more common, and the bacteria are increasingly resistant to the antibiotics used to treat them.

In the last few years, researchers have tried several novel financing ideas. Many combine government and charitable financing with industrial know-how. This idea would complement the others. The Bush administration has been reluctant to join international financing mechanisms. But it has no reason not to jump on this plan, which will benefit American companies and is a private-sector, market-driven program that pays only for success.
Bill Gates?

And will they also insist that western countries use these vaccines as well?

And what happened to the good old BCG which supposedly saved these countries from trouble.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#2 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 07:21 AM

Take all that money and use it to provide clean water and healthy food, people! Stop medicating and start preventing!
#3 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 01:56 PM

it is so frustrating to me to see that vaccine pushing is considered philanthropy. especially at the expense of not truly helping people to become healthier through nutrition, hydration and sanitation.

but there's no $ in that, right?

very discouraged about the state of the world right now...
#4 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 02:11 PM

Bill Gates is climbing the list and fast approching the likes of Paul Offit in my book.

I second the clean water and sanitation measures.
#5 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyButler
Take all that money and use it to provide clean water and healthy food, people! Stop medicating and start preventing!
:

How come they have so much money and brains at all!!!
#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
promote a vaccine against pneumococcal disease, which kills about 1.6 million people a year, making it the leading vaccine-preventable cause of death. AIDS is making this kind of infection more common, and the bacteria are increasingly resistant to the antibiotics used to treat them.
this says to me that AIDS patients are getting pneumococcal disease - why else would they state that AIDS has any effect on this disease. So.... people with AIDS have compromised immune systems right? So why would their bodies mount a proper response to the vaccine anyway? Sounds like this will just make more people sick. Even if you assume vaxes work in healthy people, this one (pneumococcal disease vax) is just a stupid one to start with.

I also immediately thought "Bill Gates" before I finished reading the article quote. slightly OT -- we just finished an overhaul of our website at work and I was very involved in creating the pages. Well, let me tell you, I HATE internet explorer -- you have to rewrite half of your code because IE deals with html differently than other browsers. I very much dislike Mr. Gates on many levels. end OT rant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page