Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Vaccinations (http://www.mothering.com/forum/47-vaccinations/)
-   -   My Religious Exemption Form (Guam Specific) (http://www.mothering.com/forum/47-vaccinations/520006-my-religious-exemption-form-guam-specific.html)

shell024 09-13-2006 04:06 AM

I picked this form up at Public Health, it is the religious exemption form for Guam. Just thought I'd post it here to get some feedback. What do you all think of the information on the form? It seems a little strange to me, guess I don't know the law here that well, I'll look it up again. Can the child really be excluded from school like that? Based on someone's opinion of an epidemic? And I didn't think you needed to state a specific church or group affiliation...? I'll have to look up the law again. Anyway, here it is:

APPLICATION FOR REQUEST OF EXEMPTION FROM IMMUNIZATIONS BASED ON BONA FIDE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS FOR PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL

I. AFFIRMATION
I understand that my child, by not taking these required immunizations, is susceptible to vaccine preventable diseases. If at any time there is, in the opinion of the Department of Public Health and Social services, danger of an epidemic from any communicable diseases for which immunization is required, my child will be excluded from schol until the threat of an epidemic is over or he/she receives proper immunization.

Nevertheless, I request an exemption from the immunization requirements for my child because immunization is contrary to my bona fide religious beliefs.

I am a member of________________(Church or Religious Group)______
Name of Child________________________
DOB________________________________
School______________________________
Print Name___________________________________
Parent or Legal Guardian (circle)
Signature____________________________________
Parent or Legal Guardian (circle)
Date______________

Notarized By_______________________________________
Date___________________

[2nd page]

II. JUSTIFICATION

Guam is in an area of the world where vaccine preventable diseases are very prevalent. These diseases have historically caused much suffering and death to people who have contracted them. Immunizations are the single best way of preventing people from contracting these diseases. Standard public health measures hold--worldwide--that such protection occurs best when the people living in an area have immunity to the diseases as a result of having been vaccinated against them.

Public Law 24-154 allows the Director of the Department of Public Health and Social Services to grant an immunization exemption to a child, upon certification by the parent or legal guardian, that such vaccination or immunization would be against their bona fide religious belief and that such action would not constitute a contagious health risk for the public at large.

In view of the information provided above, please explain in the space provided below how the granting of such an exemption to your child would not constitute a health risk for the public at large on Guam.

(Half a page of lines)

[page 3]

III. PLEASE SUBMIT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS STATING THAT IMMUNIZATIONS ARE AGAINST BONA FIDE DOCTRINES/TENETS OF YOUR CHURCH OR RELIGIOUS GROUP.

Submission of documents: YES______ NO______

IV. ACTION TAKEN

_____APPROVED
_____DISAPPROVED

Acting Director, Department of Public Health and Social Services

LongIsland 09-14-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell024
In view of the information provided above, please explain in the space provided below how the granting of such an exemption to your child would not constitute a health risk for the public at large on Guam.

III. PLEASE SUBMIT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS STATING THAT IMMUNIZATIONS ARE AGAINST BONA FIDE DOCTRINES/TENETS OF YOUR CHURCH OR RELIGIOUS GROUP.

: That's not good.
I'm going to PM you later - I need to find out more about this.

When does the form need to be submitted? Please do not submit anything until we speak.

FTR, yes a child can be excluded from school and the exclusion language is typical in the United States.

Can you post any health department, Guam statute, etc. links you have handy.

shell024 09-17-2006 09:46 PM

Section 2. Section 3322 of Article 3, Chapter 3, Division 1 of Title 10 of the Guam Code Annotated is hereby repealed and reenacted to read: "Section 3322. Vaccination and Immunization. (a) No student shall be permitted to attend any public or private school, college or university within Guam unless evidence is presented to the enrolling officer of such school, college or university that the student child is free from any communicable diseases and has had all the required vaccinations or immunizations as the Director shall in conformity with Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice ('ACIP') of the United States Department of Human Services and the American Academy of Pediatrics ('AAP'); provided, that in the event that the recommendations of the ACIP and the AAP differ, the Department shall determine which recommendations shall apply, except that exemption may be granted to a student in a case

(i)when the vaccination or immunization would be against his or her religious beliefs and would not constitute a contagious health risk for the public at large, as certified annually prior to commencement of the school year by the Director, in consultation with a Guam Licensed physician or by a Guam licensed physician;

(ii) upon certification by a parent or guardian of a student who is a minor, that such vaccination or immunization would be against their religious belief and would not constiture a contagious health risk for the public at large, as certified annually prior to commencement of the school year by the Director in consultation with a Guam licensed physician or by a guam Licensed physician; or

(iii)when a student who has been certified by a Guam licensed medical doctor that said student should be exempt from this Section where medical contraindication to his or her receiving a specific vaccine exists.

(b) Certificates of medical and religious exemption shall be kept on file in Bureau of Communicable Diseases Control of the Department. A copy of the certificate for medical and religious exemption shall be included in the student's record at the school.

(c) The Director shall notify enrolling officers of all schools and shall notify all parents by public media of any changes to the existing immunization schedules no later than March 1 of each year to allow for the smooth opening of traditionally scheduled schools.

(d) The Director shall require vaccination and immunization of any person or persons suspected as carriers of a communicable disease upon entering or leaving Guam which the Director believes may present a risk to the public health of Guam. In case of an epidemic or to control a possible epidemic of a communicable disease, the Director may direct that the general population be vaccinated and immunized against said disease. Students who are not immunized for whatever reason may be excluded from schools at the direction of the Director in case of an epidemic or to control a possible epidemic."

ETA: the updated version I received had a few minor adjustments that I just made here.

shell024 09-17-2006 09:54 PM

We are planning on homeschooling, but getting WIC would be very difficult without it, so that is why I am still trying to get something on paper. Thanks LI for replying. I am sure I am treading on some iffy ground here, that is why I posted here for some experienced feedback.

shell024 09-17-2006 10:06 PM

Okay, I just had Public Health fax to me the updated Guam Code on immunizations, hope this is complete. The first one I posted was taken from a website.

I'm going to post it once I feed ds

shell024 09-17-2006 10:40 PM

updated

ERSsmom 09-18-2006 01:44 AM

I found this. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
From the USDA page on WIC and Immunizations:

"Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefits...munization.HTM

shell024 09-18-2006 02:07 AM

nak

Thanks!

What are other reasons an exemption form would possibly be needed for in the future? I'm sure most daycares would right? Schools, what else? There isn't a way to require someone to get vaxed in the event of an epidemic crisis right? Exemp form or not?

Hope I'm making sense..

ERSsmom 09-19-2006 02:50 AM

I'm not the expert, but I have heard of people needing exemptions for summer camp or other activities.

I don't think they can make you vax in the event of an epidemic, but they can make your child stay home from school in the event of an outbreak. At least that is my understanding of it.

shell024 09-19-2006 05:12 AM

Can this form be used to refuse a PPD skin test in order to get a health certificate?

The receptionist flat out said "no skin test, no processing", so is it pointless to argue? Does anyone know anything about getting health certificates without getting a skin test?

shell024 03-11-2007 01:32 AM

well it looks like we'll be having to fill this form out, now that we are considering having ds go to daycare/preschool part time. LongIsland, the section you mentioned above as being tricky (about "how the granting of such an exemption to your child would not constitute a health risk for the public at large on Guam."), how would I go about that? TIA!

LongIsland 03-11-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell024 View Post
Can this form be used to refuse a PPD skin test in order to get a health certificate?
I don't see an exemption from the skin test requirement, which is surprising: http://www.justice.gov.gu/Compilerof...ca/10gc003.PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell024 View Post
LongIsland, the section you mentioned above as being tricky (about "how the granting of such an exemption to your child would not constitute a health risk for the public at large on Guam."), how would I go about that? TIA!
I'm so sorry - I forgot about looking into this.

The part about "supporting documents"

you're NOT required to comply with this request and most people would not be abe to comply with this request anyway. Besides, you have the right to hold a personal religious belief. But they're allowed to ask if you have any supporting documents in terms of a specific tenets/doctrines.

Since you won't be doing that, I believe it would really benefit you if we put an actual explanation of your religious beliefs in there. I have appropriate language.

The requirement about "risk for the public at large" -- well it doesn't look like it's ever been challenged and they're able to get away with it just like New York can get away with having the "genuine and sincere" language, which permits schools to find out if parents really hold genuine and sincere beliefs. That means a school in NY can use questionnaires, require in-person interviews with the parent, etc. in order to find out if a parent is sincere.

I'm going to gather information on the vaccine compliance rates and disease incidence rates in Guam specifically (although I believe Guam is included in U.S. rates) and we can take the actual contents of your "risk" explanation to PM.

shell024 03-11-2007 09:44 PM

Thank you so much. PMing you.