Ok...so Emergen-C, good or bad? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We always have a box of Emergen-C in our house as well. Both me and dh and the kids drink it most days.

In fact dh went off to walmart to buy some (yep evil walmart). It's the only place where we can get it for $6 a box.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#32 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 02:22 PM

I bought some tangarine because of this thread, DH hates the acidic/tart/sour flavor of it! He calls it nasty, tries to beg out of not having to take it, etc. I don't mind it that bad. Is the Raspberry flavor as tart? He's drinking it because he said he would, but I'd rather not have to force it down him!
They only had Raspberry and Tangarine at our WalMart.
#33 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 06:07 PM

We sometimes give it to laboring mommas as an energy boost. :-)

Jen
#34 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 06:30 PM

I'm 39 weeks preg and have taken it numerous times throughout my pregnancy when I felt like I was getting sick and then didn't get sick! :

You can order it online at drugstore.com along with some other natural type stuff. (I get my Dr. Bronner's soap there, organic shampoo, etc.)

My mom's ND recommended she take it because she was drinking a lot of water but was retaining it and still had symptoms of dehydration.
#35 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 11:10 PM

It's so expensive!! Well, when you're broke it is

But I have to pick some up...dd cannot shake this cold and I know it would help her...
#36 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
I bought some tangarine because of this thread, DH hates the acidic/tart/sour flavor of it! He calls it nasty, tries to beg out of not having to take it, etc. I don't mind it that bad. Is the Raspberry flavor as tart? He's drinking it because he said he would, but I'd rather not have to force it down him!
They only had Raspberry and Tangarine at our WalMart.
Hmmmm I LOVE it but I guess I'd say just make sure you dilute it well; ie. use a huge glass of water. When I put it in my water bottle for biking, I can barely taste the flavor at all.
#37 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 11:48 PM

I looked for it today at the store since Zayla can't shake this terrible wet sounding cough. It was way more than I could afford. Bummer too since I have such a hard time getting her to drink the regular asorbic acid. Sounds like a handy product to have around.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#38 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaya View Post
I looked for it today at the store since Zayla can't shake this terrible wet sounding cough. It was way more than I could afford. Bummer too since I have such a hard time getting her to drink the regular asorbic acid. Sounds like a handy product to have around.
:

:
#39 of 45 Old 09-24-2006, 11:58 PM

I really like http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/ It is sweetened with Stevia and has no synthetic ingredients.

#40 of 45 Old 09-25-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Hmmmm I LOVE it but I guess I'd say just make sure you dilute it well; ie. use a huge glass of water. When I put it in my water bottle for biking, I can barely taste the flavor at all.
Funny, I go in for the 4oz glass and swig it down quick method. Personally, I don't think it's bad, I think it tastes a lot like chewable vit. C which I've taken for most of my childhood life. Course I can drink almost anything
I gave him your suggestion, maybe we'll try it tomorrow. We'd hate to have to get up to pee 15x tonight!
#41 of 45 Old 09-25-2006, 12:59 AM

I used to use emergen-C a lot when I was taking lots of c daily, but I decided it was too expensive, compared to crystals. Back then I was taking about 5 gm /day, that would be several packs if I recall. Crystals are way cheaper, per dose, and you can mix it into juice if you want. (I take it straight with water, I like it that way, I'm weird.)
#42 of 45 Old 09-25-2006, 03:37 PM

I am going to get some Emergen-c for my youngest as she has got some weird skin problem going on and and I can not for the life of my get SA down her in any type of juice.

I am hoping she'll like Emergen C.
applejuice likes this.
#43 of 45 Old 09-25-2006, 11:36 PM

I LOVE it and drink it all the time. I had a packet every morning while teaching public school and never got sick.

My toddler will take sips of mine, but that's about it. She loves her chewable kid's vitamins though.
#44 of 45 Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 AM

My 17 year old daughter can go through more than a box a week.
she loves it and when she doesn't drink as much she always gets sick. She works with kids as a babysitter to many families and the public as a retail cashier ...so she is constantly bombarded with viruses and germs.
#45 of 45 Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Before you consume too much Emergen-C you might want to check out all those other ingredients. Cane sugar and fructose are first 2 listed ingredients. But the items most detrimental to good health are vegetable food color, slilica (a perservative), caramel coloring (one of the worst coloring (food colors are made from bad chemicals). I don't even know what the final items are. Refer to the book Rich Food Poor Food for information about the ingredients. In the meantime--eat an orange.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page