daughter hospitalized so I lied about vax - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 10-02-2006, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome, dinardo!

Remember, your doctor doesn't let you decide, you decide and tell him what's what. You can always change your mind and give them later, but you can't change your mind and take them back out. If you're at all hesitant, you should absolutely refuse everything at this time.

Many folks here do use daycares and public school. There are exemptions.

Virginia info: http://www.909shot.com/state-site/Virginia.htm

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 10-02-2006, 10:59 PM

oops, sorry, mixed up my va's forgot it was WV that had no exemptions.
#33 of 47 Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 PM

[QUOTE=rozzie'sma;6179647]They should look for them vaxed or not. Having the vax does not mean you cannot catch the disease and any doctor who doesn't consider it a possibilty if met with the signs and symptoms of a VPD is not a good clinician.

You are tight, they should look for them . . . but often they look for the most likely things first, and if they believe pertussis (or tetanus, or whatever) is unlikely due to vax status, they will look elsewhere first - potentially wasting valuable time for dc's health.

Sos sorry there are places where parent's decision making capacity is encumbered by the law.
#34 of 47 Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 PM

I've never lied about it, but then, it would be a very brave doctor to take me on.

I know all the questions to ask them, and I know they don't know the answers and I do. And that would make them look a fool in front of other patients. That wouldn't do, would it?!!

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#35 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 AM

I will continue to mostly lie....I am amazed at so many truthful people on this thread! I keep thinking you all must live in California.

OK...I did tell dd's rheumatologist that we didn't vax...and she was really cool with it...seemingly...or to my face.

Did you see the file I copied over in the scaremonger thread from dd's original doctor? Where the records say parents "Paranoia" about not vaxing??? Then he said "Odd, wierd diet"...then he was so busy lecturing me on Vax, he missed that my dd had a serious illness?

Looking back, I was truthful about the non vax status, only for the doctor to be so concerned with lecturing me about not vaxing, that he missed the whole point of the visit. It was dd's second visit after having six months of unresolved foot pain. We brought in a sick child who needed to be diagnosed.

In our situation, I feel like all the doctor could see is that we didn't vax and he was so obsessed with that, he didn't take dd's symptoms seriously, and overlooked them altogether. He brushed the symptoms aside, like we were crazy non vaxing people, and gave an admonishment to toughen up, her complaint of foot pain was just to manipulate.

Welcome to Kansas. :

I'm going to not mention the vax status of my children next time, because obviously in Kansas, when a doc see's something shiny (different), it is too distracting to them.
#36 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Spy

I lie when am not interested in starting a discussion right at that moment. I haven't been in serious ER situations yet, but that, I assume, would qualify as a situation when discussions before the treatment are not welcome, unless this information is somehow relevant in which case, of course, I wouldn't lie. In most other cases it's more of not breaking an assumption - at one point the question sounded like: 'And he doesn't need any shots to catch up with his immunization?" - answer is, obviously, NO. Or, even better - 'And his records for immunization are in good order?' - yes, records are. Since nobody bothers to check even the existing records or follow up anything, I don't think everybody needs to know. I can't believe I still get letters in the mail both from ACIR (a federal database on vaccination which HAS our objection registered) AND from random GP clinics we ever visited, either requesting information on immunization status (which is supposed to be in ACIR and available to any medical person who bothers to ask) or even 'reminding' that 'it' time for' the next lot of shots which the child is 'eligible for'. :
#37 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 AM

When my son broke his arm the first question the ER wanted to know was "Is he up to date on his shots ?". I answered "First..he's not an animal that gets shots...he's a real live boy. Secondly...we aren't here for vaccines we're here for a broken arm. I'll speak with his regular doctor about vaccinations. Right now the only shot I want him to have is a pain shot. Do I make myself clear ?".

And when dd (then about 3) went into anaphylactic shock I got asked the same question (first thing) and I answered "YES."

Because I *knew* that she wasn't suffering from a so called "vpd". She was suffering a reaction to nuts and needed an epipen. She didn't need a vaccine and I didn't need a stupid lecture.
#38 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMum View Post
**so I had all my boosters, etc. yet I had a winter of whooping cough and my infant daughter (never vaxed) never had it. Of course the resident had no way of knowing that latter and she said, "see, immunizations[sic] work!" **

I don't read it that way, sorry. I read: I got it despite being vax'd, dd didn't get it and wasn't vax'd, Doc felt the vax worked b/c dd didn't get it.

I was only trying to say that regardless of vax status some get it and some don't. Neither is a way of proving vax works or doesn't work.

I think we're talking past each other here. I know that the doc was saying the vax she thought her daughter had prevented pertussis and that the poster was saying she got it in spite of being vaxed. But I think the whole point was that her daughter was not vaccinated and she still didn't catch pertussis. Obviously, that can't tell anyone whether the vaccine works or not, because she didn't even have it.

I do have to disagree with you aout the last statement in the quote above. If many vaccinated individuals catch pertussis, then that *is* proof that the vaccine doesn't work. That's what vaccines are supposed to do - prevent disease. Therefore, if a vaccine frequently fails to prevent disease, it doesn't work - at least not for the people who caught the disease despite being vaccinated..
#39 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 AM

We always lied about it. Before our state had an exemption, we just lied. Even now, it's easier to lie than to explain, especially if you're in a hurry. What does vax status have to do with an allergic reaction to something - nothing - (unless of course you're allergic to a vax they gave you )
If they could read a chart, they would know, but they never look, they just take your word for it.
#40 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 04:14 PM

My ped advised me to lie. She said she has had hospitals call CPS on parents. That's all I need. I do delayed vax, we are still nursing at 2.5 AND co-sleep!

What a terrible parent I am. HAHA
#41 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 PM

When my son got into some tylenol and we were in the ER, they asked me if he'd had all of his shots. I said, "Is it relevant for his care?" "No..." Well then, let's get on with it, my son needs to be looked at!!

My brother was taken in once, and they got on to my mom for him not having his chicken pox shot (not required). I mean, the doctor really almost had her in tears. Finally, she said, "But, I thought he didn't need it if he's already had chicken pox!!"
#42 of 47 Old 10-03-2006, 11:05 PM

The funny thing is that my completely unvaxed kid is the healthiest one in the entire family (including extended family). Im a RN and I get all sorts of crap from my peers about not vaccinating him and refusing further vaccinations for myself and the other kids. When I went through a plate-glass door last spring I was asked about my vaccines and if they were up to date. I didn't lie, said the last tetanus vaccine I got was in about 1989 and that I would not be getting any more injections. The doctor who sutured me up was absolutely dumbfounded that a NURSE would refuse vaccines and said that I would get tetanus and die if I didn't get the tetanus vaccine within 48 hours. Well...here I am, tetanus free 6 months later.
#43 of 47 Old 10-04-2006, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it may have a lot to do with what hospital your in. Some are much worse than others.

When my DS split his head open, we went to the ER, and they never even asked about his vax status. He wasn't bleeding all over the place either, so it wasn't like a OMG situation. He got 5 staples put in his head, and when we went back to have them removed, again, not one word about his vax's. I live in an area that tends to be a bit more crunchy, Vermont, so maybe they just don't bother with the vax status?? The funny thing is, now that I am thinking about it, it would have been a good time to wonder about his tetanus status. He fell off the trampoline, and landed on a metal wagon, so they could have gotten all up in arms about it. I am glad it didn't come up, I haven't completely decided if I would tell the truth or not. Sometimes I just don't want to get into it with : people, kwim?!

✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ Lucianna Quinn born at home in the water ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

Mom to 3 Boys; Nick (22), Gavin (14), and Peyton (10) And a little girl who's a crazy Toddler! Madly in LOVE with my soul mate Jason 
#44 of 47 Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 AM

Carie, I'm a nurse, also, and get the same thing from people at work. I'm always ready to have a discussion regarding them, though! My baby is the one that isn't vaxxed at all right now. My oldest is fully, and my middle son has had his 2 month shots, which sent him to the hospital for five days. And, my baby is the healthiest of the three, has not yet had even a cold. The other two are fairly healthy, and don't stay sick long, but they do get sick.
#45 of 47 Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 AM

I was told a while ago that they only ask or "statistical purposes". Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?
#46 of 47 Old 10-04-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsishomemade View Post
I'm always ready to have a discussion regarding them, though!
Yeah, same here...but I always lose them as soon as I mention B-lymphocytes
#47 of 47 Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 PM

I usually have no problem when saying no I don't vaxx, but on one occasion I had this nurse totally talking to my dd, saying "Oh you poor little thing your mommy doesn't care enough to vaccinate you...."

Stuff like that, I was so distraught I didn't know what to say!!!

So after that, now I don't really say no, but lie instead...ugh

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page