What's the first bit of information you share?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When someone questions you or when an opportunity arises for you to talk about not vaxing, what is usually the first information you share with someone? You know, something that might "hook" them into conversation with you about it?

I've had several opportunities to share with my family our reasons for not vaxing, but I blow it every time. LOL I am still new at this, so while I'm confident in our decision to not vax, I'm not confident enough in myself yet to be able to quote all the facts and actually have a somewhat productive conversation. I still get nervous and defensive. : I guess I feel like I'm not knowledgable enough yet.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 02:10 PM

It's probably not you "blowing it", so don't feel bad. It's probably just that people don't want to hear it, so the conversation doesn't usually turn out well.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
It's probably not you "blowing it", so don't feel bad. It's probably just that people don't want to hear it, so the conversation doesn't usually turn out well.
No, I really DO blow it. I just kinda sit there with a dumbfounded like, "Uh, yeah, we're not vaxing." I usually don't even bother trying to engage in conversation because I never know what to say.

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 10-08-2006, 03:08 PM

I ask them if they know what IN a vaccine. They normally don't.

I also ask them how we got to be here if those diseases are so bad. I mean obviously our grandparents and they grandparents survived those diseases.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:21 PM

OT, sorry.

by momto l&a
Quote:
I also ask them how we got to be here if those diseases are so bad. I mean obviously our grandparents and they grandparents survived those diseases.
When I saw War of The Worlds, I kept thinking the whole point of the movie would be lost on most people.

To the OP, I don't have a good "in" either, and the few people that know we don't vax never bring it up.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:25 PM

I ask them first if they really want to know, or if they are really wanting to pick a fight.

If the latter, then forget it. If the former, I asked what sparked their thinking, and try to address that...

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 10-08-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
I ask them first if they really want to know, or if they are really wanting to pick a fight.

If the latter, then forget it. If the former, I asked what sparked their thinking, and try to address that...
Oh, I think I'll enjoy starting with that one! I can do that!!!

The reason I'm asking is because I think that it's about the time people are starting to notice that I've never talked about DD having any shots or talked about her being fussy for a day or two since she "had her shots today"...things like that. I've just noticed that we've come close to talking about vax's lately. I just want to be ready with a decent response from now on. I don't bring up vaxing on my own since I just don't want to bother with all those people who "know" better than me : (yeah, right.), but if it comes up and I have an opportunity for anyone to actually listen to me, I want to actually know what I'm talking about. (because I "know", but I'm a terrible talker!!!)

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Old 10-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

I always talk about how my son died from a vax reaction. They're more likely to listen to me if they know I've actually suffered a loss due to vaccines. At least something good can come of his death.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:32 PM

My ds had a vax reaction to his first set of shots...so I start there.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:59 AM

My baby is not born yet, but we've been 'round this issue with some ILs already.

To begin with, the baby DOES have an immune system. And she will be EBF for at least a year, so that immune system will be in good shape to begin with. The immune system is well-equipped to handle diseases encountered under normal circumstances. The immune system is NOT well-equipped to handle multiple diseases at one time (multi-dose vaxes), not to mention all the other goodies you get with the vaxes--which brings us to the discussion of what ELSE is in the vaxes. And then we get to talk about reactions to vaccinations, including fatality.

I like MT's approach -- I think I'll start out with that from now on. ("Do you really want to know, or...?") But I'm so non-confrontational that I just tend not to mention that we're not vaxing. My mother has no clue. We'll have great fun in the hospital when I'm busy telling the nurses not to stick any needles in my baby and my mother asks "Why not?"
Old 10-09-2006, 09:13 AM

I never go into the reasons why we do not vaccinate since they are reasons that(while probably common) should not determine another families choice.I do however like to point out exemption information,VAERS forms,and what is needed to file for vaccine injury compensation with the NVICP.I used to talk about the ingredients specific to certain vaccines,but I have found that parents find it difficult to believe what is in,or what a vaccine was cultured on.Now I just say inserts are online or in a PDR,and worth a look since a VIS covers nothing.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:54 AM

The first thing I mention is that they are not required for school, scouts, et cetera. So many people think there is a law requiring getting the shots on the CDC schedule.

If someone's genuinely curious, I tell them that after doing my own research, I decided that the risks of the vaccines were greater than the risks of the diseases, for my kids. And then I tell them that they really have to do their own research and make the determination of what they are willing to 'live with,' so to speak.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 AM

I tell them that on the manufacturer's product information sheet for all vaxes that it plainly states "This product has not been tested for carcinogenic, mutagenic, or fertility impairment potential." I try to throw in that they should look up the ingredients that are in vaccines and how toxic they are. I usually add that vax are not legally required and there are exemptions for public school entry.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 PM

I think what I mention first is that both DC had reactions, but I do that with caution because some people (and I was one) automatically go into the thought that "it won't happen to my kid".

I try to just say that the more I read, the more convicted I am and ask if they'd like me to email them a couple of links.

I forgot! With parents, I always recommend the Mendelsohn book because it's an easy read and can be taken in little chunks...
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooldad View Post
OT, sorry.

by momto l&a

When I saw War of The Worlds, I kept thinking the whole point of the movie would be lost on most people.
......please enlighten me?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:46 AM

quote from the movie(1953 War of the worlds)

Quote:
Commentary: [voiceover] The Martians had no resistance to the bacteria in our atmosphere to which we have long since become immune. Once they had breathed our air, germs, which no longer affect us, began to kill them. The end came swiftly. All over the world, their machines began to stop and fall. After all that men could do had failed, the Martians were destroyed and humanity was saved by the littlest things, which God, in His wisdom, had put upon this Earth.
The book was written in 1898, and I would think people living then would appreciate natural immunity. Now it seems people would think it silly some advanced race of aliens would get sick by simple bacteria. If we could come up with vaccines, antibiotics, antivirals, etc., to protect us, surely they would also. Maybe its just me, but I think the ending has lost a lot of its power and meaning with todays belief in the medical system. Now there is a pill for everything. I think in most people's minds, its just a matter of time before medicine will be able to fix everything with a pill or drug. If the aliens are so advanced to be oblivious to our attacks, and invade our planet, surely they would be very advanced medically, and be able to keep themselves healthy.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:03 AM

But I also think dooldad, that people today believe that if they didn't have all those vaccines, pills and things that like the martians they too would die.

Many people can't reason that they have ancestors, many of whom lived longer than they will, in conditions that they couldn't even survive in were they shoved back in time today.... who existed in SPITE OF the lack of any drugs or vaccine, and who relied on their own resources, herbalism, and various foods and wines that old wives tales told them was good for them.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

User Tag List