Another indecisive mommy. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am another "cannot decider" on the vaccine decision. My son has his 6 month check up in two days and his Pediatrition is going to ask if I have decided if I am vaccinating again.

I was concidering the Meningitis vaccine because of how deadly the disease is, but after reading on the CDC website they state that the "safety and effectiveness has not been established on children 2 years and younger" and that "More than half of the cases among infants aged <1 year are caused by “type B,” for which no vaccine is available in the United States." My son's pediatrition told me that getting the Meningitis vaccine combined with the DTaP vaccine it makes it "more effective". I cannot find any info to support her statement on the CDC website, so I don't know if that is total BS or not.

My son's ped is a very nice women. She has not given me any trouble so far with non-vax. She even went as far to say that passing the polio, and MMR were no big deal. She is pro-extended breatfeeding and attachment parenting ideas. I like her alot, she has been the best Pediatrition I have met at her practice so far.

So I guess I am having trouble deciding if I want to trust her judgement, or wait until my son it older. I dislike these decisions between risking your child having a reaction or permanemt damage or getting the disease and having the same or worse outcome.

When does this decision become easy?
#2 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
In my experience from the more I read, talk to people and think about all I have heard and read. My oldest is 6.5 years so I have been reading on vaccines for over 7 years.

You can always vaccinate but you cant ever un-vaccinate. So don't do anything till you make up your mind.

I personally wouldn't go to the check up, the only reason for them is to vaccinate.
#3 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 02:37 PM

I would try to find out what risk factors make a disease deadly. Sorry, I don't have links, but if you ebf, and don't use daycare, the risk is almost zero.

Lets say you believe the risk of the shot and the risk of the disease are equal, then what will make your child healthier in the future, shot or no shot.

For me its easier to prove not getting the shot is better for the future health of my dc.
#4 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 02:42 PM

Ask her to supply you with the proof that meningitis vaccine given with DTaP makes it more effective. Because in UK, they found the opposite, that not only did it make the meningitis component produce fewer antibodies, but the same thing happened with the pertussis component.

It's up to her to produce the proof for you, not the other way round. No matter how nice you think she is. Sometimes the nice ones are the more dangerous ones, since the constant killing you with kindness means every little drip eventually wears away the stone.

She should be accountable. Not you.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#5 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobey View Post
I dislike these decisions between risking your child having a reaction or permanemt damage or getting the disease and having the same or worse outcome.

When you research and learn that vaccines cause permanant injury or death, and the diseases do not.
#6 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 03:34 PM

Good point, MITB.
#7 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 04:08 PM

Personally I would cancel the wbv. There is no need and you don't have to make excuses. This way you can do more research.

It always takes a while to be secure with such a decision. But once you have researched enough, there is no doubt in my mind, you will be glad if you didn't vaccinated and very sad if you did.

So put it off any way you can.

Once injected, a vaccine can never be removed again and it may cause you heartaches for the rest of your life. I know my dd always gets a knot in her stomach when the subject comes up because she hadn't informed herself early on.

Edited to add: when you cancel the wbv, ask for the info MT suggested. Excellent point!
#8 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your great replys and advice. I will cancel his appointment. The only reason I like going to them is to here them tell me how healthy he is, and how much he weights.

You are all right though. I should never do something that I do not fully understand or trust the consequences of.

Thanks again.
#9 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
So I guess I am having trouble deciding if I want to trust her judgement, or wait until my son it older.
you can NEVER trust another person's judgment for this. you have to do the research yourself and find out where you are comfortable.

Quote:
never.

sorry...at least it never gets easy for me. I really believe my son is sooo much healthier b/c he has never had a vax. he has had one small cold in his life. he is the healthiest of my 3 sons. but then i start to think of all those diseases and get scared.

like others said, research the diseases first. then the vax only if you are scared of the disease. then do a risk/benefit anlysis. so far i havent found one that im willing to gamble on. and thats what it really is...a gamble. ive been lucky so far b/c my first 2 had no observable adverse reactions; however, my luck may be runnign thin so im a bit more skeptical this time.
#10 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Spy

Quote:
When your unvaccinated child becomes older and all of a sudden you see a difference not only between them and their peers but also between them and their parents at that age. When people start asking you questions like, 'how come Billy never had an ear infection? What do you do to keep him so healthy?' etc, etc. This is when you know you were right
#11 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
When you research and learn that vaccines cause permanant injury or death, and the diseases do not.

: That is how I decided. I kept it pretty simple...I live my life using the KISS principle
#12 of 21 Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post

I personally wouldn't go to the check up, the only reason for them is to vaccinate.
(Sorry for the hijack).........Does this go for all checkups? How do you cancel one completely w/o getting flack from ped?? Which ones does dc "have" to go to?
#13 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 AM

I'm undecided too, but leaning towards not vax'ing because I don't want to fry my baby's brain - my DS had a reaction to the MMR and I just don't want to risk it anymore. I was scared into all of his shots by the ped (have switched since then) and found a ped that doesn't FORCE you to get them, but will remind you that your child needs them. I can choose to say no and that is exactly what a mother should have the right to do. That said, I'm nervous to not vax still because, well, because that's how we are raised. With fear. Not truth. Fear. It's a hard thing to shed. Western medicine is not the answer to everything. Some things yes, but not all, and not close to most. So, when something that can potentially kill or injure your child is backed by research that is backed by drug companies who have high dollars at stake...and you don't get a real informed concent about any of it...and you are scared into it...and then you regret it...

anyway, I'm still undecided, but my DD is almost 5 months old and I'm bf'ing and no daycare, so I'm just holding off until I can decide....

you have to sign a paper if you choose not to vax "in case your child dies" (as said by the ped office)...OK, well, what paper do they sign when I get the vax for my child and the child dies...what then??? it's just so dangerous to be playing with our child's lives! I' so confused. I wish I lived in a simplier time...:
#14 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 AM

If you are undecided right now, listen to your Momma instinct. Something is telling you it's not right for a reason. Find that reason.

The decisions become easier when you are better able to listen to your inner voice.
#15 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 02:59 AM

Well, when you consider that there really no proof out there that vaccinations actually work, that makes the decision much easier. The only studies that they have done prove that vaccinations don't really work. Also, they are extremely dangerous. I believe that they are going to go down in history as one of the biggest tragedies of the Century. The more research I do, the more I can't imagine deciding to do any of the vaccines. It just doesn't make any sense.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#16 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely View Post
I believe that they are going to go down in history as one of the biggest tragedies of the Century.
If we live long enough to see the next century. :

Quote:
The more research I do, the more I can't imagine deciding to do any of the vaccines. It just doesn't make any sense.

I couldn't agree more.

I have often said, although some people disagree, if one researches vaccines long enough, they will come to that conclusion.

And if you keep looking you'll find that vaccines are no more than a scam pure and simple.
#17 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycale View Post
(Sorry for the hijack).........Does this go for all checkups? How do you cancel one completely w/o getting flack from ped?? Which ones does dc "have" to go to?

I personally dont see a need to go to a dr unless one of the kids is really sick.

Only one of my children have been to a dr. She has gone twice once for a really odd rash on her head that the dr said was dry skin (yeah right And the other was to ER after having terrible tummy pain all day.

We have 3 kids ages 6,4 and 2.

I can take weight and all of that stuff at home. I dont need a dr telling me my kids are healthy.

And why would I want to go and sit in some waiting room with all of those : : people?

IMO the dr works for me not the other way around. Dr's arent gods.
#18 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Moobey
My son's pediatrition told me that getting the Meningitis vaccine combined with the DTaP vaccine it makes it "more effective".
If you were to find that this is true, would you then vaccinate for these four diseases at one time? Does the effectiveness overshadow the fact that that safety of this vaccine has not been proven?

Ditto to MT and MITB. Keep reading about the diseases and how they can be treated naturally and allopathically and read about how you can boost your child's immune system. You'll always feel concern when someone sneezes next to your child. No one wants their child to be sick...with anything. From my experience, vaxxing mommas don't worry any less when their kids get sick. But, you don't also have to have those worrisome moments when your child goes for their injection.
#19 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
we are raised. With fear. Not truth. Fear. It's a hard thing to shed. Western medicine is not the answer to everything. Some things yes, but not all, and not close to most. So, when something that can potentially kill or injure your child is backed by research that is backed by drug companies who have high dollars at stake
So true.
#20 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Someone had mentioned staying out of daycare. Well I am actually a teacher and my son comes to work with me so he is around kids all day. The school that I work at is a progressive school so there is no vaccination requirements to be able to attend, so that works in our favor.

Does anyone have advice reguarding what I can do to boost his immune system other that me nursing him, eating well and boosting up my vit c intake?
#21 of 21 Old 10-09-2006, 06:59 PM

The only thing that boosts an immune system is being exposed to germs and viruses. I can't see how increasing vita C has anything to do with the immune system. But it is a great help in strengthening the child when he is sick - IMO.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page