Well Baby Visits - Mothering Forums

#1 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI. I have a question about well baby visits or rather, the lack of well baby visits. I have gone to every single one for my children and well, since I am no longer vacinating, I would rather not bother. My pediatrician keeps asking me when I will start vaccinating again and I just dread going every time.

My question is should I go just to keep up a good relationship with this pediatrician? You know, in case we really need to go to the doctor....

I'd just like someone's advice who does not go to well baby visits but has been to their pediatrician for an illness and if their pediatrician is okay with that......

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We haven't gone to well-baby visits since DS was about 6 months old (he's almost 2 now). They're really vaccine compliance visits. I don't see the point of having him weighed and measured (and have them tell me that he's too small and we need to run more tests), get hassled about "what's wrong with vaxes?", told that his diaper rash may necessitate a circ if it continues to reoccur, and have him exposed to all those germs. I'm military, so I see the base peds. They don't know me, so they don't notice if I miss a WBV. We take him in when he's sick and that's it.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#3 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We don't do "well baby" visits, but I have done some "CMA" visits.

I quit going to the well baby visits the day I walked in with my 2 week old to an office with a family hacking in the waiting room, a mother and two sons. I take them in now and then, but visits are few and far between. When I needed a ref from the ped for the eye dr for my 3.5 yr old, he wanted to see him first since he hadn't been in since he was about 18 months old.

My son with heart/lung issues was going about once a year, and that was because it seemed once a year he would get a cough that wouldn't go away, so I wanted the dr to rule out pneumonia (he only has 1 lung) and I wanted a paper trail that he had a dr visit during the illness. But in the last couple years, (he's 7.5 yrs old now) he hasn't gotten sick like that

"If it takes a lab to make it, it takes a lab to digest it". Kris Carr, Hungry For Change
#4 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 12:36 PM

I don't do WBV's. I don't vax and am perfectly capable of weighing and measuring my child myself.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 12:52 PM

We stopped going to WBV at 9 months because all they were is $15 weigh ins. I since switched pediatricians and only go for illnesses. Marah Jade hasn't been ill in quite some time though <knock knock>. She sees her chiropractor on a regular basis.
#6 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 01:04 PM

I just need to pipe in and add my 2cents about WBV's.
I don't vaccinate and never have any of my kids. I got reccomended to this family doc ( yes, here in Canada we see Family Doctors and only Peds if referred ) from my Midwives. They said he is relatively non-vax friendly. He is pro-vax but he doesn't scrutinize my choices. His nurses on the other hand : LOL
I do attend every-other WBV just to keep steady health records for my kids. I only take home information that is useful to me and I elave the rest.
Now, most important point: At my youngest ds's 5-7mo WBV the doctor found a heart murmur. Thinking it sounded a little "unusual" he sent us to a Ped.Cardiologist. We went through a year + of echocardiograms etc and found his heart defects to be life-threatening ( he had an upper septum VSD & a coarctation in the aorta ). He just had Open Heart Surgery 4 weeks ago. I guess what I'm getting to, is unless you know how to check heart tones yourself at home, I would definately go often enough to detect anything abnormal. Maybe its just my experience that makes me feel this way I would otherwise reccomend against WBV, my opinion has since changed.
In my son's case, being asymptomatic, I would've never known until he could've passed out from heart failure on the soccer feild.

~Kelsey
#7 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM

I agree with Lact-o-mama. I dont vax but I go to WBV because I know there are things i don't know to look for. I am a speech pathologist and I have connections/work daily with PTs and OTs. It still doesn't mean I can recognize that DD is on track with everything, or that she doesn't have a hip problem etc.

Parents are notorious for missing things in their own children. Somethings they could not know (like heart stuff, hip stuff, etc.) and other stuff could be obvious except not to them (speech and language delays, etc.)

Perhaps I'm naive, but i do think its possible to find a ped thats at least quiet on the vax issue. Mine is awesome about it, so maybe i'm just spoiled. Regardless, if I had a ped who was a jerk about vax, I'd still go because i'd want them to look at my child with a diagnostic eye to make sure something important does not go undetected.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#8 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 03:29 PM

We dont do them.

I only take my kids to a doctor if I feel they NEED one. My son that just turned 4 has been a couple of times (one ER and one urgent care and twice to the ped as a baby.) My daughter has never seen a doctor. The ped offices around here are nasty. It's a bunch of hacking sick kids playing with dirty office room toys. No thanks. All for a weight, measurement, and a candy coated third grade speech about why immunizations are "good for us." Yeah ok.

I kinda like the urgent care thing. It's just as dirty with sick people but in a true need, we'll take our chances. Plus, they dont even bug about vaxes because they just assume that their regular ped (whose name we give but we never go to) did that already.

Desiree

#9 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 05:09 PM

My 2 and 1/2 year old grandson and my 7 mo. old grandson have never been to a ped since birth.

My 9 yr. old grandson saw the ped the last time when he got his last vaccine at 15 mo. and I wish we would have wised up sooner.

Here is a thread you may want to read:

What is the real purpose of well baby visits?
#10 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Spy

I don't see a point in keeping a relationship with any doctor 'just in case'. It only makes sense if a child has a condition that requires constant treatment by the same doctor, IMO. It has never worked for us anyway - most doctors move practices more often than we repeat our visits . Either that, or we move ourselves. Having a 'good pediatrician' always available would be too much of a temptation for me to contact them way more often than necessary, risking more intervention for children and overall headache for me.
#11 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We went for the first year, just to make sure none of those things like heart murmers were there. Then we went about twice a year. Now that he's three, it'll probably just be when he's sick.
#12 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM

I do them. I don't vax, but my ped respects that and does not bring it up. I do it to cya,for preventative reasons, and peace of mind. My ds loves the ped and we have a good relationship with her. She does not interfere with my parenting decisions.

I also do annual physicals for myself...I have had family members die of things that could have been easily treated, if it was caught on time. I guess that philosphy spills over to my view of wbc for ds.

I know it is not the popular view here, just my 2cents.
#13 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 10:35 PM

If you have a decent list of doctors to choose from that your insurer will cover (or no insurance at all), you should be able to search out someone (ped, family practice doc, naturopath, someone) who is fine with not vaccinating. Personally, given my lack of experience parenting (<3yrs now) and lack of pre-existing knowledge on health/kid matters, even if I didn't go to WBVs regularly, I want someone available to call if something seems beyond my current scope. And I have a family practice doc who really doesn't seem to care one way or the other about vaccination, so I'm going to the WBVs to get to know her better, in case I do need to make a call someday when I'm worried. It works for me.
#14 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 PM

I think I am very lucky in this area. My sister is our family doctor. I have to drive an hour to go to the office, but I take my kids once every 18 months or so. She comes to see my babies once after they are born and I let her listen to their heart and move their hips around~ things that make her feel better and aren't too intrusive.

I took my kids to several different peds in our city in an effort to try and not drive so far. That was before I figured out how most doctors operate: . So I guess No, we don't do WBV generally (except every year and a half, I guess). I don't see the point. We don't do meds of any kind unless it is a dire and immediate emergency so we don't go when sick either.
#15 of 29 Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't do them. We go to an ND if we need something so we do have a record somewhere. DD needed extensive dental work and the dentist required a physical from a MD before hand so we called up a pedi and went in. The pedi had do a well child exam before signing our physical papers. It was the biggest waste of time and money, it made me very glad that I don't do them.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#16 of 29 Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM

i wish i hadn't gone. yesterday i took my 2 yo and 5 yo to wbv, just to get to know the ped. youngest hadn't been and oldest hasn't since she was maybe 2. well, i refused the vaxes. doctor came in with a waiver for me to sign, from the AAP. i told her i might be able to sign it if i could cross some things out.

here is the form: http://www.cispimmunize.org/pro/pdf/..._2pageform.pdf - 79.9KB

i crossed out this statement and signed it: I know that failure to follow the recommendations about vaccination may endanger the health or life of my child and others that my child might come in contact with.

she wasn't happy with my crossing out that statement and came back in and said she wasn't comfortable and that she wouldn't see my kids.

i only wanted to have a relationship with a doctor in case we need one. i'd like to have someone who knows my girls be able to treat them. i guess we are searching again...

just thought i'd share my experience.

rachael
#17 of 29 Old 10-14-2006, 11:26 PM

I don't have a pediatrician; we do have a family doc for now. Oddly enough, the one time I really needed a doctor it was for a broken bone and the only time we saw our family doc for that was when she visited DD in the hospital

We still do yearly visits but I recently got the name of a family guy who really respects parents' intelligence and he is covered by our HMO
#18 of 29 Old 10-14-2006, 11:38 PM

My dd is not vaccinated, but I do take her to well baby visits. I debated about this too for awhile, but then I figured that we may need to take her to a dr at some point if she ever came down with a serious illness or had complications from an illness. We go to one of only two peds in our area who will accept unvaxed kids (although this office is pro-vaccine). I've occassionally had to defend our decision not to vax, but I'm glad we've got a relationship with them. My dd broke her leg this summer and it was nice to know exactly where to go for help (we didn't realize it was broken so didn't take her to the er.) They also made the appointment for her at the children's hospital which saved us having to wait around for hours as a drop-in. I agree with the pp who talked about not wanting to expose dd to germs during well visits, but our ped schedules all well visits in the am and sick kiddos come in later. If they happen to have a sick kid come in the am they put them right into an exam room.

Just my 2 cents!
#19 of 29 Old 10-15-2006, 12:11 AM

We've been pondering this very question! It seems a lot of mamas are searching for a ped to establish a relationship with, and I've seen a couple references to chiropractic care. We take our 8-month old to a chiropractor regularly. There are so many advantages to seeing a Dr of Chiro over a Med Dr in a 'well-baby' sense, but the biggest is that chiropractic care is actually preventative care - with proper alignment comes a healthy immune system, which results in fewer and less severe illnesses. That would mean less of a need for the MD visits for colds/viruses/infections.

Chiros are private practice, too, so they are not usually moving around like MDs (this has happened to us w/a ped we had est. a relationship with, and someone else mentioned it above). Also, their lifestyles are generally more natural, making it a better fit for anyone in this forum!

We just love our chiropractor, we feel much more in control of our health in a preventative way since finding her.
#20 of 29 Old 10-15-2006, 01:40 AM

I don't vax, but I do well-baby visits. My ped is pretty good about vaxes, and she just says okay, your're not doing them, uh-huh. I think she asked me why awhile ago, and I told her it was against my religious beliefs and that was that. Anyhow, it wasn't anything big, or I would have remembered it.

I pretty much do well-baby visits to have paper trail just in case CPS was ever called for some obscure reason, and because I actually like my kid's pediatrican, and I like to have a good, working relationship with her. The practice that I take my kids to has some of the same doctors practicing that I saw when I was a kid, so I feel pretty much at home there.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#21 of 29 Old 10-15-2006, 02:07 AM

I had the same ped growing up, I never actually saw him till I broke my finger at around 14!!!!!! So much for "getting to know your ped" and then when I did see him (instead of a LPN or other Dr) all he did was preach about vax's more than the others had. My mom wasn't into WBV's I think she took my preemie sis to a couple till the Dr said she was totally "caught up" for her age, whatever that really means, and then she didn't take her to the Dr except for emergencies or bad sickness. We went probably 3x after that, once when she stepped on a needle, once when she shoved something up her nose, and once when we all had a cold for a month!
I am not planning to do WBVs when I have kids.
#22 of 29 Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabain View Post
i wish i hadn't gone. yesterday i took my 2 yo and 5 yo to wbv, just to get to know the ped. youngest hadn't been and oldest hasn't since she was maybe 2. well, i refused the vaxes. doctor came in with a waiver for me to sign, from the AAP. i told her i might be able to sign it if i could cross some things out.

here is the form: http://www.cispimmunize.org/pro/pdf/..._2pageform.pdf - 79.9KB

i crossed out this statement and signed it: I know that failure to follow the recommendations about vaccination may endanger the health or life of my child and others that my child might come in contact with.

she wasn't happy with my crossing out that statement and came back in and said she wasn't comfortable and that she wouldn't see my kids.

i only wanted to have a relationship with a doctor in case we need one. i'd like to have someone who knows my girls be able to treat them. i guess we are searching again...

just thought i'd share my experience.

rachael
Ugh, I hate that form, which is why I made a revised version of it, that way you can present the ped with a form with nothing crossed out....

Modified Refusal to Vax Form, and notice the words "refusal to" were omitted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consent Declined for Vaccines

Child’s Name ________________________________________ Child’s ID#____________________

Parent’s/Guardian’s Name(s)___________________________________________ _______________

My child’s health care provider, ___________________, has advised me that my child (named above)
should receive the following vaccines:

Recommended Declined
Hepatitis B vaccine
Diphtheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis (DTaP) vaccine
Diphtheria Tetanus (DT or dT) vaccine
Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib) vaccine
Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Polio vaccine (IPV)
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine
Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine
Influenza (flu) vaccine
Meningococcal vaccine
Hepatitis A vaccine
Rotavirus vaccine
Other ____________________________________

I have read the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Vaccine Information Sheet(s)

explaining the vaccine(s) and the disease(s) it prevents. I have had the opportunity to discuss this with my child’s health care provider, who has answered all of my questions regarding the recommended vaccine(s).

I understand the following:

● The intended purpose of and the need for the recommended vaccine(s).
● The risks and benefits of the recommended vaccine(s).
● If my child does not receive the vaccine(s), the consequences may include
- Contracting the illness the vaccine should prevent. (the outcomes of these illnesses may include one or more of the following: pneumonia, illness requiring hospitalization, death, brain damage, meningitis, seizures, and deafness. Other severe and permanent effects from these vaccine -preventable diseases are possible as well)
- Transmitting the disease to others.
- The need for my child to stay out of child care or school during disease outbreaks.

●If my child does receive the vaccine(s), the consequences may include:
-Contracting the illness the vaccine should have prevented
-Transmitting the disease to others
-Suffering from any of the adverse events listed in the package insert and possibly adverse events not
yet listed and/or associated with the vaccine. (the outcomes of these adverse events may include one or more of the following: illness requiring hospitalization, death, brain damage, meningitis, seizures, and deafness. Other severe and permanent effects from these vaccines are possible as well)
-Chronic illness and/or death

● My health care provider, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Family Physicians, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have all strongly recommended that the vaccine(s) be given based on the information they have been given by the drug companies producing the vaccines.

I have declined consent for the vaccine(s) recommended for my child, as indicated above, by checking the appropriate box under the column titled “Declined.”

I know that I may re-address this issue with my health care provider at any time, and that I may change my mind as personal beliefs are subject to evolve and change over time.

I acknowledge that I have read this document in its entirety and fully understand it.

Parent/Guardian Signature ______________________________________Date________ __________

Witness___________________________________________ __________ Date__________________

This form basically states one is aware of the risks and benefits of vaccines, changes the damaging information, and adds more to the risk side which is blatantly absent from the original document. There is no medical reason stated for declining vaccines, as this may be used against someone attempting to file for a religious exemption. Also keep in mind that one can modify these forms any way they choose to reflect their unique situation.

This should satisfy a drs need to have something on file that shows the parent has declined the vaccines (and again, notice that this form does not state a reason for declining) to keep in the files.

"If it takes a lab to make it, it takes a lab to digest it". Kris Carr, Hungry For Change
#23 of 29 Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 AM

No WBV's here either. We see no reason to.
#24 of 29 Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 AM

Suschi, thank you so much for sharing that, that form is great.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#25 of 29 Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 PM

love that revised form. am gonna see if that would make my oh so nice ped take us as patients, since she wasn't happy that i crossed out part of her form. hmm, i wonder whether it is worth trying.
#26 of 29 Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 AM

suschi, i love your form and I used it with one change. instead of saying "I understand the following:

● The intended purpose of and the need for the recommended vaccine(s)."
I wrote "I understand the intended purpose of and the reason for recommending the above-listed vaccines." My ped would have been cool with "we don't vax" written on a cocktail napkin in crayon though!

We do go to WBV, but our ped is anti-vax (though the practice is pro-vax) and way cool with everything we do.
#27 of 29 Old 10-18-2006, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
We take our kids when they are sick.If they have not been ill in over a year then we take them in for 1 well check.In the infant months the visits varied,but never followed the vax schedule.
#28 of 29 Old 10-18-2006, 03:14 PM

My FP doc was the best about this w/ my last. I brought her in for a 2 wk check-up then he said well we don't need to see her on the vax schedule, you can bring her back at 3 months. I went back at 3 months and then did not go again for a well check up.
I took her to the Phy Ast when she had an ear infection at 9 mo.

Now since then we have had the need for a ped and the ped stated that I needed to bring her in at 18 months and 2 yrs -- I have, only b/c I like this practice and the ped was the only 1 able to dx my ds2. She is a rare gem -- "go home and research this and call me to let me know what you think" a doctor said this to me when she was thinking my ds2 had Celiac Disease!!!

I'll see what they say with the new baby. They know I'm traveling from over 50 miles away. I will likely take the baby to our FP first, it's local and I need a note to get a birth certificate. As long as the new baby is on file like the rest of us, it makes it easy to go in and get seen when there is a need such as a secondary infection to the flu, an ear infection just from teething, etc. If it were more serious as in I don't know what's gonig on, I'd probably call and make a sick visit to the doc 50 miles away. Especially if it were my ds2 who is lacking antibodies and therefore will not always have classic symptoms.
#29 of 29 Old 10-20-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2evan05 View Post
suschi, i love your form and I used it with one change. instead of saying "I understand the following:

● The intended purpose of and the need for the recommended vaccine(s)."
I wrote "I understand the intended purpose of and the reason for recommending the above-listed vaccines." My ped would have been cool with "we don't vax" written on a cocktail napkin in crayon though!

We do go to WBV, but our ped is anti-vax (though the practice is pro-vax) and way cool with everything we do.
I like your wording better, going to modify the form again

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page