what is a synergist shot? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine had twin baby girls at 29 weeks gestation. They were roughly 2.5 lbs each. So far they have been absolute miracles. No brain bleeds (29 weekers often have a grade 1 brain bleed according to the docs, etc.)

They are home now and are btwn 8 and 9 lbs. They were born in late July (don't know the date offhand). Unless my math is wrong, that means they are basically at term right now.

My friend sent an update on their progress and mentioned they were getting their first synergist shot. I googled it and saw that it was a vaccine for RSV.

Can anyone tell me more about this vax? I haven't heard of it until now. Is it reactive? Effective? Is it only given to preemies? What is the deal with this one? I've read a lot on vaxes and never heard of it....

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#2 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 02:31 AM

You mean Synagis otherwise known as Palivizumab. It's not a vaccine. Synagis is a humanized monoclonal mouse antibody manufactured by recombinant DNA technology.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...574&query_hl=2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...042&query_hl=5

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...290&query_hl=7

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...580&query_hl=5

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...846&query_hl=5

Some like it, some don't:

http://www.doctorbob.com/2004k_12_10news16.html

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#3 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 03:25 AM
Banned

It has mannitol in it, which is used to open the blood-brain barrier, causing everything toxic to be able to flood the preemies brains.
#4 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Yes, it's only given to preemies (or babies/young children at high risk from dying from RSV, usually with chronic lung diseases). It's a once-a-month shot given throughout the RSV season, usually November-May. Like MT said, it's not a vaccine, it's an immune globulin. Pros and cons like any shot, but as the mother of a preemie myself I really think this is one of the shots a parent needs to discuss with her doctor and decide whether or not it's a good idea.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#5 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
I really think this is one of the shots a parent needs to discuss with her doctor and decide whether or not it's a good idea.
A doctor is not going to give all the information needed for a parent to make an educated and informed decision.
#6 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
A doctor is not going to give all the information needed for a parent to make an educated and informed decision.
Obviously, otherwise we and all of our children would be vaxed to the gills. But Synagis is in a completely different ballpark than the MMR or varicella vax.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#7 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Obviously, otherwise we and all of our children would be vaxed to the gills. But Synagis is in a completely different ballpark than the MMR or varicella vax.
: I couldn't agree more.
#8 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I am the type of person who researches every drug that a Doctor wants to give my baby. With one baby, they wanted to give her Synagis. I did my research and no way would I give anyone that drug. I honestly worry about the Synagis babies and how they will be in 10-20 years.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page