This article in Parenting about flu shot safety... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
November 2006, Flu Shot Safety

"There has been some worry about thimersol, a preservative used in most preparations of the flu shot. Thimersol contains mercury, which can be poisonous in high concentrations. Many studies have been done looking for evidence that the small amounts of mercury in thimersol can harm children but none has been found."

Bold mine.

How can they say that? I've looked EVERY WHERE for studies showing that exact thing and THEY DO NOT EXIST. But then can flippantly throw that into their magazine and mislead people..... are there studies somewhere I don't know about? I am very angry. :

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#2 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
"There has been some worry about thimersol, a preservative used in most preparations of the flu shot. Thimersol contains mercury, which can be poisonous in high concentrations. Many studies have been done looking for evidence that the small amounts of mercury in thimersol can harm children but none has been found."

The amount of thimerosal contained in an influenza multi dose is NOT a "small amount." :

Children up to age 3:
12.5 micrograms in 1st dose
25 micrograms with 2nd dose.

Individuals age 3+:
25 micrograms PER dose

Fluvirin product insert:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/label/inflchi072106LB1.pdf

Fluzone product insert: http://www.fda.gov/cber/label/inflsan071006lb.pdf
#3 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 AM

yeah, parenting mag makes me SO MAD! but i think anyone who asks that question in that forum already knows what answer they want/will get, and is just looking for reassurance. after all, the info is all out there if you are engaged enough with the health of your children to go get it.
#4 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 02:03 PM

There are studies that DO study mercury, and where the results say that they are not linked to an increased risk of x. So they are right there.
What thye are neglecting to include is that the studies suck, they don't tell us anything actually useful, and they group people who have received 0 mercury in the same group with people who have received 75mg of mercury.
Here, I'll see if I can find it something...

This isnt' exactly the one I was thinking about but here http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/112/5/1039
Quote:
We were concerned that parents who had their children vaccinated on time (and therefore were more likely to have increased thimerosal exposure at each of the time periods studied) were also more likely to seek medical care for common pediatric ambulatory conditions. Support for this concern was provided by analyses indicating that in each year from 1994 to 1998, children who received >75 µg Hg in the first 7 months of life, compared with children who received 0 to 75 µg Hg in the first 7 months of life, had significantly more well child care visits and significantly more visits for "upper respiratory infections" in both the second and third years of life (Appendix 2). To try to control for health care-seeking behavior, we performed the analyses in phase I restricted to children who had made at least 1 visit to a clinic or an emergency department at the same month of age as cases.
Actually, if you go here: http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/div...c.jsp?id=75807
you can see the studies that CHOP uses to prove that thimerosal is safe. The one by Hviid is the one I'm thinking of, I believe. It's here
Childhood Vaccination and Nontargeted Infectious Disease Hospitalization
you have to sign in to get it, though, and I don't remember my sign in info.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#5 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
"Many studies have been done looking for evidence that the small amounts of mercury in thimersol can harm children but none has been found."

Bold mine.

How can they say that? I've looked EVERY WHERE for studies showing that exact thing and THEY DO NOT EXIST.
Exactly. Many studies have been done looking for evidence that the small amounts of mercury in thimersal can harm children but no such studies have been found. I mean, there are no studies about the small amount of mercury in thimersal because thimersal contains a large amount of mercury, therefore the studies couldn't be done and none have been found.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Parenting magazine and similar ones are basically funded by big pharma via their advertisements. They have the right to say what is discussed and how the discussion is worded... That is why you will see it everywhere and once you sign up for it, you can basically not cancel it, they'll just keep on sending it gratis.
#7 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 PM

I don't know if I was lookign at the same issue of Parenting as you're referring to, but I was flipping through one at my OB appointment out of boredom and THE WHOLE FREAKIN MAGAZINE seems to be about vaxing. There were at least 2 or 3 ads for vaccines that I can remember off the top of my head, and I wasn't even really paying attention.
#8 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 AM

I read Parenting before I found Mothering and then I've never been able to pick up a copy without getting mad about something in there!
Do yourself a favor, get rid of the Parenting, Parents, Baby Talk, American Baby etc... You'll feel better daily!
#9 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 AM

Do any of you read The Compleat Mother, and do you like it?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page