treatment of pertussis in infant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ped is really pushing the pertussis vax (and all the other lovelies that come with it) because my ds was born 10 weeks prematurely and theortically has an even more immature immune (less mature?) system than your typical newborn. She had me wavering a bit after our last discussion (yes, I talked about immunizations with her, stupid, I know) but my gut says no and a little more research about vaccinations just reconfirmed my original no-vax position. So now that I've decided not to do it, I'm still a little fearful because I don't know how to treat my ds, who's about 3 weeks adjusted, if he were to get it. I'm not so concerned about dh or ds#1 who is 2 1/2 and unfortunately, fully vaxed to this point. I've read the pertussis threads and feel comfortable with treating kids or adults but it can be so serious in an infant that I'd feel better if I had some sort of reassurance for treatment. Anyone out there help me with some info? TIA

BTW, Ds is breastfed and is recieving infant probiotics. I think I have a candida problem/leaky gut symptoms which are affecting him through my milk. I'm in the very beginning stages of treating it but am concerned that this could also weaken both our immune systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2006, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am no expert compared to others here, but I just wondered how healthy you and your family tend to be regularly. Do you and DH and DS get lots of stuff or do you think you typically have strong immune systems?

Is DS in daycare or other scenarios where he is exposed to other sick kids? How good is your diet? Do you eat processed flours and sugars or do you have a mostly whole foods diet? What additional nutrients do you take to keep you all healthy? Fish or flax oils? Nuts? Vitamin C?

I would do everything I could with a preemie in the house to keep everyone as healthy as possible through diet and hand washing.

Best of health to you all!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
In this particular situation you might want to limit excursions until the baby is a bit bigger. Normally it is okay to have an un-vaxed baby out and about, but in your situation a little more shelter might help. You can also encourage everyone to wash their hands before touching the baby and to avoid getting close if they feel unwell. Again, I wouldn't make a big thing out of this sort of thing with a full-term baby after the first few weeks.

Take care and stay calm and everything should be fine.

Deborah

User Tag List