What religious groups are against vaccinations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-06-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the Church of Religious Science is against all medications, and I would assume that includes vaccines...but what other religions are against vaccines?
I know when taking a religious waiver, one does not have to be specific...tht's not why I'm asking. I'm just curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 PM

My ped mentioned that his Jehovah's Witness patients don't vax (and that he's fine with that. )
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 15 Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 PM

we declined citing religious reasons due to the ingredients (alcohol, gelatin--they said most likely porcine) which are not permissible for consumption unless it's a life or death situation....we're muslim..HTH
applejuice likes this.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#4 of 15 Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
My ped mentioned that his Jehovah's Witness patients don't vax (and that he's fine with that. )
Jehovah's Witness is left up to the individual. Same with the Amish. Some do, some don't.
applejuice likes this.
#5 of 15 Old 11-06-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
I know the Church of Religious Science is against all medications, and I would assume that includes vaccines.
Just wanted to point out, this isn't my understanding of the CRS. My mom is an active member and I'm pretty sure they allow for medical interventions, of any kind, if meditation and positive thinking alone cannot suffice.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#6 of 15 Old 11-06-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
Just wanted to point out, this isn't my understanding of the CRS. My mom is an active member and I'm pretty sure they allow for medical interventions, of any kind, if meditation and positive thinking alone cannot suffice.
Interesting...Jim Henson was part of the CRS and died because he refused medical intervention (IIRC). I also had a friend in HS that had never even had an asprin in his entire life...he was raised in the CRS. Maybe it's left up to the individual?
#7 of 15 Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
...but what other religions are against vaccines?
Im not sure which religions are against vaccines. But here are some religions that are financially supporting a mass vaccination program...

Quote:
The Pope, represented by Cardinal Martino, will buy the first bond, the first time that the Vatican has made a gesture of its type. Other bonds will be bought by Dr Jonathan Sacks,the Chief Rabbi, the Muslim Council of Britain, the Hindu Forum and the Network of Sikh Organisations. The money raised from the bonds will be used to immunise 500 million children across the world’s 70 poorest countries by 2015. It is hoped that the campaign will save 10 million lives and help to eradicate polio.
I guess that good health care, clean water, sanitation and good nutrition wont provide them a good enough return on their investments.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...440345,00.html
#8 of 15 Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsero96 View Post
Quote:
The Pope, represented by Cardinal Martino, will buy the first bond, the first time that the Vatican has made a gesture of its type. Other bonds will be bought by Dr Jonathan Sacks,the Chief Rabbi, the Muslim Council of Britain, the Hindu Forum and the Network of Sikh Organisations. The money raised from the bonds will be used to immunise 500 million children across the world’s 70 poorest countries by 2015. It is hoped that the campaign will save 10 million lives and help to eradicate polio.
Who the heck is the "chief rabbi" ??? There is no hierarchy in Judaism. Dh is Jewish (I have no religion) and we claim religious exemptions from vax. Of course if/when we move to a state that allows philosophical, we will claim that instead.
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 15 Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Who the heck is the "chief rabbi" ??? There is no hierarchy in Judaism.
I am not very knowledgable in regards to Judaism, but I just searched your question online...

Quote:
Sir Jonathan Henry Sacks (born 1948, London) is the Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom's main body of Orthodox synagogues. His official title is Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth.

As well as the spiritual head of the United Synagogue, the largest synagogue body in the UK, he is the Chief Rabbi of most orthodox synagogues, but not the formal religious authority for the Federation of Synagogues or most of the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations. However, he is recognised by the majority of orthodox synagogues throughout the Commonwealth, hence his formal title. In addition the vast majority of UK Jews recognise his wider role as a spokesperson and ambassador for the Jewish community. Sacks is also still recognised as the Chief Rabbi of the Hong Kong Jewish community, a role he was asked to retain after Hong Kong returned from British to Chinese rule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Sacks
#10 of 15 Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Christian Scientists (Church of Christ, Scientist).
#11 of 15 Old 11-07-2006, 01:23 PM

7th Day Adventists? we have a few in our area and I think I remember hearing they don't vax....

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#12 of 15 Old 11-07-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
7th Day Adventists? we have a few in our area and I think I remember hearing they don't vax....
Aaaaaahhh...I think I remember hearing that before.
applejuice likes this.
#13 of 15 Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 AM

You are confusing the Church of Religious Science, which approves of doctors and medicines, and the Church of Christian Science, which is only in favor of faith healing.

applejuice likes this.
#14 of 15 Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

Interesting...Jim Henson was part of the CRS and died because he refused medical intervention (IIRC). I also had a friend in HS that had never even had an asprin in his entire life...he was raised in the CRS.

You seem to be confusing the Church of Religious Science with the Church of Christ, Scientist (Christian Scientists).

Jim Henson left the Church of Christ, Scientist 15 years before his death.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7ElPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=KgMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4502,372385&dq=jim-henson+christian-scientist&hl=en

applejuice likes this.
#15 of 15 Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post

Seventh Day Adventists are very medical minded. They have hospitals as Loma Linda in California's inland empire. They also started the health food store movement. They do believe in vaccinations. They avoid red meat and are largely vegetarians.

Quote:

Jehovah's Witnesses were anti-vaccine until 1950; at that point, they left it up to the conscience of the parent, which is the way it should be. JW's still refuse all blood transfusions.

Quote:
 I know the Church of Religious Science is against all medications, ...

It is the Church of Christ, Scientist, Christian Science, that relies on faith healing and refuses vaccines and all other medical interventions - NOT the Church of Religious Science.

Rastafarians would refuse vaccinations.

While it is not the official stand of the Roman Catholic Church, vaccines are allowed even though some vaccines are grown on aborted fetal parts. Some individual Catholics may object to the aborted fetal parts, but they  do not have the support of the Vatican.

It is not the official stand of Orthodox Judaism, but a strict reading of parts of the Book of Leviticus would lead one to believe that vaccines should be avoided since any blood products, even an egg with a spot of blood, should be tossed away.  The very small group of fundamentalist Jews, the Karaites, who do not follow the rabbinic teaching nor the Talmud may object to vaccination based on their interpretation of the Torah.

Muslims REQUIRE proof of vaccination to make the pilgrimage to Mecca.

Mormons avoid all forms of caffeine, tea, coffee, tobacco, cigarettes, coca cola, and alcohol because these contaminate the body, but vaccines are allowed.

There may be some groups of Hindus who refuse vaccines since vaccines are made from animals, as animals are revered.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page