Convert me. - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
No, if someone asks me to go find a link I (or someone else) - we'll do it - no problem. However, when it seems like practically every statement is challenged with a request for a link, then you start to wonder what's up with that poster. You wonder -- okay, maybe this poster doesn't understand how to Google in order to fact check, maybe this poster needs to be spoonfed, maybe this poster just has a problem.

Please keep in mind that some of us post a lot of information on this forum on a weekly basis and we routinely repeat the same information - we cannot back up every single post with a link. Some of us also help people behind the scenes via PM - it's just not possible to keep a Link Fairy on your shoulder, YKWIM?

Believe me - I understand your skepticism, but I have to be honest, your skepticism has come across from the get-go as insulting. Also keep in mind that this is a parenting board, we are not here to prove anything to anyone and when you have asked for a link, we have provided it to you.
It's also a little different when someone mixes in their requests for links with accusations of "reading unreliable sources"... compared to people who simply need help locating information or understanding what they can find.
As an example, in another thread, Plummeting mentioned IPV not stimulating mucosal immunity...so another poster put something (wild guess "mucosal immunity" IPV polio) into google and then came back asking for a clarification.

The former is just obnoxious and tempts us to just put the user on ignore, and the latter is perfectly fine and inspires friendly feelings of helpfulness.

Make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
It's also a little different when someone mixes in their requests for links with accusations of "reading unreliable sources"... compared to people who simply need help locating information or understanding what they can find.
As an example, in another thread, Plummeting mentioned IPV not stimulating mucosal immunity...so another poster put something (wild guess "mucosal immunity" IPV polio) into google and then came back asking for a clarification.

The former is just obnoxious and tempts us to just put the user on ignore, and the latter is perfectly fine and inspires friendly feelings of helpfulness.
Yeah, I really don't feel like pulling out the links for a person who's saying I'm using unreliable websites owned by non-doctors, when I've already explained where I'm getting my information. (Remember? Pubmed? Google Scholar?) I'm not inspired to help people who continually insist that my references are unreliable, when they haven't actually even looked at the majority of the references that have been provided. Seeking out anti-vax websites, then finding out if they're owned by doctors or not isn't research. That's called appeal to authority. It's a logical fallacy. I have a personal problem with logical fallacies. Decisions should be made based on the merits of the information and arguments presented, not based on who made the arguments.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:43 AM

This sort of begs the question doesn't it? If someone believes our beliefs/statements/sources are not credible . . . then why on earth would a person do their vaccination research on a parenting board?

Old 11-17-2006, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
Yeah, I really don't feel like pulling out the links for a person who's saying I'm using unreliable websites owned by non-doctors, when I've already explained where I'm getting my information. (Remember? Pubmed? Google Scholar?) I'm not inspired to help people who continually insist that my references are unreliable, when they haven't actually even looked at the majority of the references that have been provided. Seeking out anti-vax websites, then finding out if they're owned by doctors or not isn't research. That's called appeal to authority. It's a logical fallacy. I have a personal problem with logical fallacies. Decisions should be made based on the merits of the information and arguments presented, not based on who made the arguments.
It is not inappropriate to review the qualifications of someone as part of a process of evaluation. I agree, however, that dismissing arguments entirely based on qualifications ALONE is just, plain silly.

On another thread the research published by an organization was dismissed because the organization takes some libertarian stands (in other words they are beyond right wing), but politics and science don't necessarily cancel each other out. I've known people to be right about, say, astronomical info, even if their politics struck me as totally whacked.

Way back when I was an undergraduate, I tried to write off some scientific research because it was paid for by a chemical company. The teaching assistant told me it wasn't that simple. I needed to explain where the science was wrong, not just yell BIASED!

Seems like a simple concept.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 AM

OP, how are you doing w/ your research? have you formulated an "attack plan" on how you are going to go about it? have the wonderful ppl here helped? are you feeling more comfortable?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
On another thread the research published by an organization was dismissed because the organization takes some libertarian stands (in other words they are beyond right wing), but politics and science don't necessarily cancel each other out. I've known people to be right about, say, astronomical info, even if their politics struck me as totally whacked.
Totally off topic, but the political spectrum is actually a circle, so some libertarians are beyond right wing and others are beyond left wing. They use different ways of getting to a similar conclusion.

Back to your regularly scheduled vaccination discussion

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 11-17-2006, 10:30 AM

That was a good clarification on that Trumptplaya. I was thinking that myself.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxceleste View Post
Absolutely can't believe the sarcasm and negative response I got here. I don't mean to harp, but with all due respect ladies, (those of you who did NOT offer guidance in the right decision), I came here to learn, not to be barked at.

To be pushed away and told to go do my own research has completely turned me off this entirely. In a matter of minutes, I went from excited to be beginning my own research (which CAN simultaneously be done while waiting for replies from the helpful folks at MDC) to completely crushed by some of the responses I got.

Again, I'm sorry to have bothered you all on this board. I'll look elsewhere for information.
I think that was very good advice, actually. You must understand that there are posts like yours everyday and the stickies are there for a reason. They helped me when I came for help.

I thought people were being very nice. Did I miss some posts? And I do think it is VITAL you do your own research. Come here for specific questions, by all means, but with my own science background, I want the hard proof. I am more likely to believe it if I do the research myself.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-25-2006, 05:26 PM

Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax View Post
OP, how are you doing w/ your research? have you formulated an "attack plan" on how you are going to go about it? have the wonderful ppl here helped? are you feeling more comfortable?
ARGH!

Sorry for the delay in response... I've been going through midwife drama, and DP and I have both had a cold, so things have been pretty hectic and lazy at the same time.

Still reading up, and started going back as I go, through old threads on specific vaxes, but no attack plan yet.

I've asked some mamas on a local AP board about peds they recommend in my area who are ok with at least delayed vaxes, and have gotten some great responses! I'll admit that I have NO CLUE where to begin in "interviewing" a pediatrician, but will probably start to research THAT next week after this first appt with the midwife tomorrow and after I'm feeling a bit better.

Thanks for asking, and I've been checking in, just not responding like I should!

User Tag List