Pedi still would insist on... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to our pedi today for one of my children who is having dental surgery, pre-op physical. I thought since I'm expecting I would ask about them taking my infant as a patient. It isn't what I expected at all, it's not all bad, but it isn't all good.

Basically for those new parents out there I have this warning: If you survive getting out of a hospital/ birth center without Vit K, Screenings etc. -- beware you may not get into a pediatric office! They sure do make it hard to do what you as the parent feel is right for your child!

I'll start by saying the way around this is how I've done it before, I start care with a FP who haven't got a clue about required test or that lay mw don't do them and then transfered to our now pedi. Also note, I live over an hour away from this wonderful pedi (all 3 women are good and the practice has been accomidating to our non-vaxing but I started with a 13 mo old born at home dd there, not an infant so this is new territory for me).

Pediatrician requirements -
1) seen within 24 - 48 hours since I'm having another hb
2) all my prenatal labs and documents
3) vit K injection, they do not believe oral is good enough, this requirement is good until the baby is 2 weeks old after that they would not insist on it
4) All the State mandated metabolic screenings PKU etc up until age 6 mo would be a requirement
And I was told that if I come to them at any of these times with the infant and refuse their requirements above they will decide not to treat my new infant as a patient.

The problems -
1) Birth is hard on me and I stay in bed for at least 2wks. I also do not feel up to traveling over 50 miles away a few days after birth. She did seem to understand that and was fine with my seeking care more locally and transfering.
2) I see a lay mw, I have no labs. I have records that I've received care and I did have an u/s (Finally after much debate). Actually, I had labs drawn for life insurance purposes a few weeks ago, I can stick those in. I didn't say anything, just jotted it down and listened.
3) I see vit K totally unnecessary in a healthy mom and healthy newborn, I increase my alfalfa intake in the last trimester to aid my baby in this area
4) Given my son does have an autoimmune disorder and the Pedi did state that since they tend to run in families etc the screenings would be a wise decision to do earlier rather than later. I actually do not have a problem with this one at this point at this moment. The pedi did state that a thyroid disfunction needed to be discovered within 2wks or the child will start to loose IQ points (scare tactic or the truth, I don't know, I need to do a bit of research in this area along with how it relates to our genetic autoimmune disorders). My dd did not have any testing done by our mw or the FP.

So all in all I'd say for me #1 and #3 are the biggies for starting care with this pedi practice. My big issue with the FP is I know for a fact I will be sent to the local hospital for the PKU and screenings, which will put me in a place I don't want to be.

I'm needing to do a little research on the screenings for VA and refresh myself on Vit K injections. And of course I'll speak with my mw, she may have the ability to do the VA screenings or know how we can do it.

Just one more thing to be concerned about. I really do like our pedi practice and given the medical condition of 1 of our children, it is important to have soemone to go to who is knowledgable. I had no problems w/ the FP deal until they could not help my ds2 and gave me bad information regarding my dd and our prior local pedi also was not competent enough to help my ds2 I left there when he was 7 mo old. I already know I'll be choosing the German lady pediatrician for this newborn, he will be an intact boy and as I understand it Europeans are more likely to know not to retract or do harm to him!

Any links to Vit K and VA Screenings would be appreciated, it would cut down on my research time if someone has those handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM

I would want to look for someone closer,and who is more open to what you want. Our old ped is an hour away now,but atleast he did not mandate a thing.Still, I am lookng for something closer for emergencies.

Lol,they would lose me on the first one you listed, as I am dead tired for days after giving birth.No way would I want to go to a peds office with a baby and child after only 24-48 hours.Let them drive to me if they want to see the baby so bad;the mw did.

Best wishes finding what you need!
#3 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

I changed my mind about the screening - I don't have a problem with the actual test I have a problem with my child being in a tracking system! Now I will go search private sector screening availability and cost.

http://www.vahealth.org/psgs/visits.asp
Quote:
Primary Features

* Tracks all infants born in Virginia.
* Provides a single point of entry for infant records.
* Establishes a statewide, web-based centralized Oracle database.
* Allows immediate access to all infants without the need for exporting or transferring data.
* Facilitates information sharing and improved communication between VDH and VDMHMRSAS.
As for closer, if there were competent docs in our local area I would, but I have yet to come across 1. Additionally, the condition which afflicts my children is not widely known YET and the doctors here are the "good ol' boys" network and ignor everything parents say... NO THANKS. I'll drive.

I can always wait until the baby is over 6 mo old to "transfer". The local FP isn't 1/2 bad, I know I can get in and out of there with zero testing.
#4 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.savebabies.org/NBS/snbs.php

In case anyone needs a link to private sector testing, I just found one.
#5 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why not just sign up with that doctor once your baby is 2 weeks old?
#6 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

After just posting about my Vit K discoveries - yes, I've decided I'll see our local FP at 1 or 2 weeks old for a letter to get our birth certificate. And then at about a month old or more I'll make an appt with the pedi. With the following condition: screenings, if I can do it in the private sector, I'll comply. If not, we'll wait until 6 mo old or longer. And I will then have to make at least 1 visit at 3 months to our FP doc for looks of receiving care. So long as nothing serious comes up.
The longer I wait it out, the fewer trips I'll have to make in the first year.
The pedi office has never seen my children sick, only well visits. Since we started there, we've had the flu but nothing more and for the kids they were fine -- I was the one with the secondary infection that needed antibiotics from our FP! I think that is a good thing for us, their charts show healthy kids.

My kids just don't get seriously sick enough to go see a doctor. If it's little, like an ear infection that isn't clearing with at home treatments I will go to the FP and request the PA -- it works out quite nicely (did it 1X for dd long before we "transfered" to the pedi). IF it's bigger than something I can dx myself and serious, then I know I had better treck on into the big city to the pedi's office b/c bottom line out here where I live the doctors are just not able to handle the IgA deficiency & Celiac issues of my ds2 to my statisfaction (or his heart condition which was missed by every doctor he ever saw here where I live and north of here) and the IgA status and Celiac status of my dd and nb will be unknown for quite some time.

The very first appt I had with this pedi office they were very, very, very late seeing us (hours). We were finally told that there was a very sick child that was priority at the moment. They put that child as priority, that stuck with me. I bring lots of snacks and entertainment now in the event it happens again. I don't like waiting, but if my child is very, very, very sick, I know he or she will be taken care of as a priorty. I have been blown off by our very first pedi practice when I brought a sick child in on a Sunday (sick enough for me to bring in on a weekend, is sick) - nothing wrong with him was what I was told. I ended up taking him back 3 days later for continuing high fevers 104.7 and saw a different doc -- pneumonia with no symptoms of coughing etc. I've had suck horrible experiences with doctor, I'd like to the keep this good practice around for a while -- that haven't done me or my children wrong KWIM...

I'm sure there are others out here at MDC who understand finding someone I feel comfortable with is rare.
#7 of 7 Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, that's scary about the state screenings getting you on the database. I clicked on the link to the private screening, and it's a LOT cheaper than I expected!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page