Pertussis Vs Croup? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-19-2006, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think that it would be difficult for a doctor to tell the difference between pertussis and croup? I only ask because I went to like a zillion websites and everything says that croup is unusual in adults-but dh and I both caught it from the kids. Our coughs also seemed rather whoopy sounding, instead of the bark they were saying our kids should have (of course while we were there they hardly coughed at all, lol), but its kind of hard to be sure. I am just wondering if this could have been whooping cough and yet another example of how the stupid vaccines dont work-everyone but our 1 year old is vaxed and yet our 6 year old had mumps 2 years ago and dh just got dx with mumps today as well. It seems ridiculous and kinda scarey-I mean, I am not worried at all about most of the VPD's, but what about things like the Hep B vax for healthcare workers? I actually know 4-yes FOUR!-people IRL who work in healthcare and whose titers are constantly negative, despite having had the full series of Hep B vaccines. Shoot, one lady has had the entire series 3 times and she still isnt showing any immunity. Thats just scarey!! All of these people are going to have a false sense of security...ok, went a little OT

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#2 of 3 Old 11-19-2006, 01:51 AM

you hit the nail on the head yourself...........they just dont work.

as for the cough, it could very well be misdiagnosed WC.......but I'm more amazed you got a diagnosis of mumps in a vaxed kid
#3 of 3 Old 11-19-2006, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Actually....he wasnt originally diagnosed as having mumps. At first they just said he must have an infection and he is fighting it off and that was the only reason his throat was hurting and his glands were so swollen he looked like the increadible hulk . They even said his saliva glands were swollen, but I think that all they needed was the yep, he's vaccinated to completely throw out the idea of mumps. Anywho...a little while later I took him to his regular doc (this had all been at the ER-I kinda freaked since childhood Hodgkins Lymphoma runs in our family), who is very crunchy and I love!! I told her about it and said that when I had been running around the internet, all the symptoms seemed to point to mumps. She agreed-after talking to me about it for awhile-and at that point she decided to run a titer for the mumps. (I wish I could get all of our titers done, but our insurance wont pay for it unless its deemed "medically necessary." Grrrr) Well, after that she called us and said she had no doubt that he had had them. His titers had way higher levels of immunity than the vaccine causes, meaning that he had had the mumps at some point. The only odd thing is that his cheeks didnt get puffy, but she said that sometimes that happens, that it effects only the salivary glands instead of the ones that are normally affected (parotid??).
With dh, he just went in to the doc and they said oh yeah, thats mumps. Our regular doc is kinda cool too. He's Ukrainian so...I think I remember hearing/reading that not nearly as many people are vaxed over there, so maybe he has seen more VPD's than the docs over here? I dont know, but he said straight up that the vaccines suck and that in his opinion, anything that isnt likely to kill you as a kid, you should get, so you dont end up having the vax stop working in adulthood when its worse.
Maybe I can convince our insurance to do titers for pertussis....doubt it though Hmmm....and WHY does the CDC say that the numbers are off?? Gee, could this be why? I seriously have to wonder how many vaccinated people are still getting these diseases. Oh yeah and BTW-my 4 year old got a full blown case of Chicken Pox from the vaccine. Nice!! (our school district decided to make the CP vax mandatory, so I had my older two get that too even thought I really didnt want to...with the little one I am just signing the waiver saying she isnt vaccinated at all. I feel really stupid for not thinking of that before!)

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page