Vac and infant got a disease/sick 3 75.00%
Vac and infant did not get a disease/sick 5 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2006, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a new mother who is planning on fly to St. Thomas, USVI (my home) from Maryland for Christmas with my 6 week newborn. At first I wasn't worried. But now I am, because of so much talk about exposing a newborn to so much germs at the airport and in the plan. My ped. (who is not pro-vac.) suggested that I might want to give him the Hib. B and Influenza vac before we leave. But that means giving him 2 vac. earlier than necessary - which I was eigther planning on doing selective & delaying vac or not vac at all (still deciding). I would like to get some advice from the non-vac mom infants who traveled with their newborn (8 weeks or less). What would you advise? Should I change my plans? What is the ratio of an unvac newborn actually getting something on their first flight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 AM

I started traveling with dd at least every month when she was 7 weeks old by plane, often twice a month.

She's never been sick at 11 months and isn't vaxed. They won't touch anything you don't want them to at that age, so unless you were seated near some hacking person, I wouldn't even think twice about it. YOu should always be dilligent about washing your hands, of course, and you better be eating right to be nourishing both of you right no, trip or no trip.

As for th flu vaccine, well, enough people here will tell you that that is crazy, considering that the flu vaccine only works as well as a placebo in children under 2. This study with published in the Lancet, the leading british medical journal in '05.

Go have a great vacation and take a few books on the subject because you sound like I did when I first started researching the issue.

Once you have read a bit more, you will realize why you don't need to be worrying about your baby getting some vpd every minute.

I liked Romm's book more than the Randall Neudstader (?/sp?) book, and I loaned out the Cave book before getting to read it.

What an exciting opportunity to go get some sunshine and rest while still recovering a bit from the birth. Have a great time!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:48 AM

Oh, my goodness! I wouldn't worry if I were you. I have travelled several times to Africa with my little one (and we will with the next one, too), and we don't vax. Remember that Baby is going to get immunity and protection from your milk.

I do suggest that you keep Baby in a sling almost all of the time. When I did that, I found that strangers were more reluctant to try to touch my child. Planes are the germiest, in my opinion, and I would just keep Baby very close.

In general, I think it is better for babies not to leave home (I mean your house) for a few months after birth. But, we live in a modern society, and it is just not always possible. The next best thing is to bring home with you by holding baby next to your skin as much as possible while you are travelling.

In any case, in my opinion, vax are not going to give your baby *any* more protection than not vaxing. I believe, especially at that age, they would just be incredibly taxing on Baby's developing immune system.

Don't underestimate the power of your milk!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 11-22-2006, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes, I second the sling idea (or a wrap, cuddled close to skin, is my personal first choice!)

washing hands kind of frequently, not taking baby out unnecessarily, keeping her close/warm...she'll be fine!

best,
Liora in beijing

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM

We took our oldest when she was 2 weeks old on an airplane. She is vac free and never got sick. She was breastfed. She is almost 7 yo
Old 11-22-2006, 04:15 PM

I would not worry about it for one moment. Read the thread that has to other poll on it. Page 3 or 4 starts a discussion that goes along those line...

My unvaxed (intact - lol) grandson was all over the place before he was a year old. DD was a fight attendant and they took full advantage of her freebies. They traveled every free moment.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 PM
EVC

When dd was about 6 weeks old we flew from Armenia to Amsterdam to San Francisco. She is unvax'ed and did not get sick

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM

My dd is completely un-vaxed and we flew to the other corner of the country (from WA to GA) when she was 4 months old. If you're bfing then there should be no worries at all

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 11-22-2006, 11:00 PM

technically, all 6 week old babies arn't vaxed (except for 1 dose of hep b)...........so I dont see an issue.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:34 PM

nak
My 2 unvaxed breastfeeding kids traveled from US to Colombia to all over Europe to India (and on 3rd class over night train through India) with no illnesses...I tend to think an infant is way safer than a crawler/toddler since the infant stays in arms.

Besides, the influenza vax gives symptoms of flu...

Yes to sling!! Yes to breastfeeding!
No to vaxing such a brand new developing being.

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex_millie View Post
I am a new mother who is planning on fly to St. Thomas, USVI (my home) from Maryland for Christmas with my 6 week newborn. At first I wasn't worried. But now I am, because of so much talk about exposing a newborn to so much germs at the airport and in the plan.
If you were vaccinating, your baby would be as "vulnerable" as he is now, because you don't get any circulating antibodies worth noting until one month after the full primary schedule is finished, so all babies, vaccinated or unvaccinated, are "vulnerable" if you go by their terminology, until 7 months anyway.

In a baby, the influenza vaccine requires two spaced shots and the supposed protection is moot. There have been threads here going through the evidence that the flu vaccine is worthless.

Quote:
My ped. (who is not pro-vac.) suggested that I might want to give him the Hib. B and Influenza vac before we leave.
Not provaccine? Sounds like it to me.? Does she think that giving him those vaccines just before you leave will instantly make him "immune" the minute the needle comes out?

The first Hib shot does squat. It needs a whole series to provoke antibodies...

Influenza??? As I said, and I'm sure others have too, it's a useless vaccine, and hasn't even been tested in babies.

IMO, only provaccine peds, or peds who haven't thought about the fact that the flu vaccine is useless, suggest Influenza vaccine.

Quote:
But that means giving him 2 vac. earlier than necessary - which I was eigther planning on doing selective & delaying vac or not vac at all (still deciding). I would like to get some advice from the non-vac mom infants who traveled with their newborn (8 weeks or less). What would you advise? Should I change my plans? What is the ratio of an unvac newborn actually getting something on their first flight.
If you are travelling with an 8 week or less, it makes no difference if you vaccinate them or not, because they are equally as "vulnerable".

It always amuses me, watching mothers sigh after that first needle comes out the leg, and they say wistfully... "Aw... now he's immune..." and I just want to to and ask "Pardon?? "

This is where your paediatrician needs to be hit over the head with basic logic 101, because she's lost the plot totally here.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 11-23-2006, 12:08 AM

MT you said what i did just more thought out
Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 AM

Well, I'm about to go to Europe with my 3 month old. All my boys are completely un-vaxed. I took my oldest son out of the country when he was 4 weeks old just on an overnight. Really, unless you are going to be somewhere with questionable sanitation and/or you weren't nursing, I wouldn't worry for a second. Have a great trip!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 11-23-2006, 12:29 AM

So what about if you were to go to Mexico or something with a 1 year old? Would you guys still not vax? I haven't even thought about the issue as we aren't planning on travelling internationally any time soon. I just know when I mention it, people always go "oh well but what about all those diseases in 3rd world countries that we don't have immunities to".
Old 11-23-2006, 12:31 AM

i wouldnt vax a 6 week old, 1 yr old or even myself. espescially since some of the travel vaxes have thimersol....eg japanese encephilitis
Old 11-23-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
So what about if you were to go to Mexico or something with a 1 year old? Would you guys still not vax? I haven't even thought about the issue as we aren't planning on travelling internationally any time soon. I just know when I mention it, people always go "oh well but what about all those diseases in 3rd world countries that we don't have immunities to".
Nope, still wouldn't vax. My decision to not vax is based on the acceptance that my kids could be exposed to any or all of the diseases and might get any or all of them throughout their childhood. And I'm more comfortable with that than with shooting them full of chemicals.

To the OP - flu shot isn't even approved for babies less than 6 months old - and that's assuming that it works and is worth giving. I don't have any experience travelling with a newborn, but thought I would add that I wouldn't ever consider giving a vax in a time frame that it's not approved for even IF I WAS vaxing.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Have you looked at the infectious disease rates in Mexico recently? Do they warrant "fear"?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 11-23-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
Have you looked at the infectious disease rates in Mexico recently? Do they warrant "fear"?
not to mention, mexicans are constantly crossing the border and not having medical care here........yet we all havent died yet.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:22 AM

I absolutely wouldn't vax, and wouldn't give it a second thought.
I can understand why you may be a little worried , but I really believe you have no need to.
Enjoy your holiday!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
No way. I live within a couple hours of the border. Mexicans are not dirty or sickly, so why would I be afraid they'd make my child sick? And it isn't like there's some kind of invisible force field keeping all the diseases people think are in Mexico out of the US. If diseases were running rampant in Mexico, they'd be running rampant in all the American border towns, because all the babies too young to be vaccinated would be getting them. That isn't happening, because there are no noteworthy epidemics happening in Mexico.

Oh, and the third world diseases that we aren't immune to don't usually have corresponding vaccines. Those would include cholera, dysentery, malaria. There aren't vaccines for those. There's one for yellow fever, one for Japanese Encephalitis and one or two others, but most diseases you'd have to worry about not having immunities to would be things you couldn't vaccinate for anyway.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:42 PM

Nope, wouldn't vax under any travel circumstances. You can buy antiseptic wipes (since the gel is too scary for the feeler-uppers at security) if your concerned; I like to have those in the airport. I jack up my immune system before travelling at all, but especially before flying. Take advantage of all that awesome, fresh, unpasteurized Vitamin C in the tropics!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:30 AM

Neh...

My baby travelled with us as an infant to Japan and he was fine. He was crawling (8 months old, I think) and so was all over the floor of the plane too.

But it was a very long flight... What can ya do?

He didn't catch a thing, but DH and I got minor colds on the way over. Then a tsunami hit the next day and we were housebound (in a tiny Japanese house) for a few sick, miserable days.

DS never skipped a beat. He was in top shape the whole time.

Enjoy your travels and don't worry!

The sling is a great idea! I used one too, but DS was too old to stay in it the whole time.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:40 AM

We have been travelling extenisively with DD ever since she was born..

Brasil to Australia(at 6 weeks), Australia to Morocco(at 10 weeks), she has been to Europe, to Asia(japan, Isreal,Lebanon) and so on, she gets colds but that's becuase of her mild asthma, she gets more colds when we stay at home than when we travel...

Why should you be scared to go to Mexico, what you have to take care for(not now only in the summer seasons) is for a sickness that it's transmitted by a Mosquito called Dengue, but vaccinating your child will not help in this case(It's useless, vax's are useless) and it's not only in Mexico but in South America and Central America...
Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I decided not to vac him before the trip - i'm more afraid of a side effect taking place than actually traveling w/ him.

User Tag List