Naturopathy vs Homeopathy - Vacc related - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I allowed my DD to have the DTap (her 1st set) at 3m even though every cell in my body said not to do it. Where that feeling came from I do not know. I basically have grown up in a pro-vax, pro-drug, pro-whatever the doctor says environment. I caved and let it happen thinking I could just get past it. Fortunately my DD who is 13m is fine now. Do I think she experienced a reaction. You bet. Before the fax she had begun to smile, laugh, connect with our eyes, respond to us. After the Dtap she went vacant, no smiling, zero connection. She cried, and cried and fussed on and off for a week like she had never done before or since (luckily). She also - and at first I thought I must be imaginging it until my sister saw it - had these weird head shakes. Like a tremor that would happen here and there - so creepy and scary. Lastly nasty, bad excema appeared about 2 weeks later and we still battle it to this day. 'She came back' slowly after about a month and a half. Slowly though and today she is a happy smiley girl Phew. Anyway, needless to say, no more vax for us. Ever since though I have just been on this driven mission to research vaccines, disease, nutrition etc... I find these boards incredibly rich in resources, personal knowledge etc...

I am stuck though. We still do see our family doctor as she is fine with us not vaccing and I do appreciate that she is open minded about the whole thing. She does believe it's a personal choice and I think that is very rare to find in conventional doctors these days. We have seen both a nutritionist and a homeopath at different times for immune building and general nutrition plans. However, I just didn't really 'click' with either of them. Neither of them had any first hand experience with unvacced kids and helping them through illnesses or diseases that they might acquire. Of course I would hope that I could handle whatever may come but I would really appreciate the guidance of someone with that experience if the need arose.

So my question is (sorry this is so long) what and who should I be looking for - Homeopath(y) or Naturopath(y)? What are the questions and qualifications that might help me source this out. I guess I specifically want the guidance in the whole no-vacc area and how to treat disease. It can be very expensive (as I have found out) when you are just stabbing around hoping that you have found the right person.

DD currently is on a homeopathic 'plan' for immune building in place of the vacc. We really try to feed her organic, healthy things as best we can. She is about to enter a large daycare facility which we have really researched and do like but of course she will be exposed to all sorts of bacteria for good or bad. Ugg. I can't help it but I am nervous of a couple of things still. Tetanus (even though I know its rare) only because she always has open cuts because of her excema and menengitis because our neighbours son nearly died from it a month ago (10m) but miraculously made it through (I should mention he has had every vacc out there for his age).

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any info or direction on searching for a naturopath or homeopath that you would have to offer as I feel like I am swimming upstream a little in this area.
#2 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 01:19 AM

First of all to MDC and the vaccine forum.

What we did is get a few good books on how to handle sickness and infections in a child.

You will be surprised how that makes you feel secure to the point where you don't even feel that you need a doctor.

Someone will come and give you answers to your questions specifically but in mean time I will suggest two books to you:

Dr. Mendelsohn - How To Raise A Healthy Child In Spite Of Your Doctor
and
Peggy O'Mara - How To Raise A Healthy Family
#3 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 01:47 AM

We use a traditional naturopath. She started out her career as an RN and after working in the medical field for some time, got fed up and went over to natural health. Now, 30 years later, she has many wonderful things to teach us about the natural way the body works. She is trained in homeopathy, naturopathy - but not a naturopathic physician, chinese medicine, herbs, accupressure, tuning forks, light therapy, massage therapy and I think some other things as well. She trained with Dr. Bernard Jensen DC and Ann Wigmore before they died. She still takes classes, mostly now in advanced homeopathy. She's a classical homeopath.
Her spin on things is that she teaches and mentors her client so that they can take care of themselves and their families. Her guidance has been essential in the restoration of my vaccine damaged daughter, as well as getting through the every day bumps, bruises, falls, and illnesses of life. When my daughter had pin worms, we went on a weed walk for local plants to use for deworming. She taught me how to make kefir and culture veggie; and so many other things too. She's a true friend and mentor. Her knowledge is there as long as I'm willing to learn.
For my family, it is a perfect fit.

As far as homeopathy vs naturopathy goes. They're two different modalities and approaches to achieve better well being. I feel they should be used together as they will be more effective than being used separately. One needs to achieve balance on all levels.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#4 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 02:51 AM

I can't help you with your question re ND/Homeopathy, but you might want to check out this thread in which the poster listed a lot of info which might make you worry less about tetnus (and other things you're not vaxing against).

I am so glad to hear your daughter has recovered.
#5 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 05:46 AM

Liscenced NMD (natroupath.) You can find one here http://www.naturopathic.org/
#6 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 06:27 AM

Well, I personally don't "believe in" homeopathy at all. At least, if you mean "homeopathy, the stuff that's diluted into nonexistence but maybe water has some memory" type homeopathy. Some folks use the term homeopathy interchangeably with "natural" stuff, and I know there are "natural" things that can work.
But "real homeopathy" is bunk, IMO. I don't think it's dangerous...because it's just water...and I do think that most problems resolve themselves in basically healthy people when just left alone. So I'm almost more down with homeopathy (which I think is generally nothing) over allopathy (which tends to want to "do something" even though that "something" is often more likely to have a negative effect in the end)...
But anyway, I'd go with a naturopath, or preferably, an Osteopath.
And just pick a doc who knows more than you, and who when you fact check afterwards, is obviously informed and not some nut.
#7 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Gitti - Thank you for the Welcome! I have Dr Mendelsohn's book but I will pick up Perrgy O'Mara's as well.

MammaV - I am sorry to hear that your daughter suffered at the fate of a vaccine and I hope that she has had a healthy recovery. It sounds like you have found the 'fit' that I am looking for. Could you tell me the difference between classical and non classical in either of these practices?

Rebeccamaryll - Thanks for the thread! I recognize Gitti, Mamakay and others with additional valuable information in there. I have printed it for my records.

Goddess - Thanks you for the link

Mamakay - yea, my DD is on the diluted stuff which is the homeopathic 'plan' she was put on for immune building in place (partially) of traditional vaccines. In our research we have also found (from our point of view) it just boils down to sugar & water. So she still takes it because I know it's not dangerous but the jury is still out on this for me because while I am skeptical about it I think I still need to learn more.

Again, thank you for your input. I love reading your posts on the various threads in this board. I have found them very, very helpful.
#8 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Well, I personally don't "believe in" homeopathy at all. At least, if you mean "homeopathy, the stuff that's diluted into nonexistence but maybe water has some memory" type homeopathy. Some folks use the term homeopathy interchangeably with "natural" stuff, and I know there are "natural" things that can work.
But "real homeopathy" is bunk, IMO. I don't think it's dangerous...because it's just water...and I do think that most problems resolve themselves in basically healthy people when just left alone. So I'm almost more down with homeopathy (which I think is generally nothing) over allopathy (which tends to want to "do something" even though that "something" is often more likely to have a negative effect in the end)...
But anyway, I'd go with a naturopath, or preferably, an Osteopath.
And just pick a doc who knows more than you, and who when you fact check afterwards, is obviously informed and not some nut.
Osteopaths are no better than MD's. And Natroupaths use Homeopathics all the time. I don't see how homeopathics are bunk they work great for us and millions of people around the world.
#9 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Homeopathy certainly sounds weird. But I had one experience that made me look at it differently and since then it is something I use occasionally when I think it might help.

My daughter, then 6, got ringworm on her foot. We were using a chiropractor as our primary physician in those days, so I called up and asked what I should do about it. He suggested I go to the drug store and buy the usual over the counter goop and apply it.

Her foot got worse. I called again and he suggested I give her a homeopathic remedy, sulfur (?) 6x. So I did. The skin lesions cleared up within 24 hours. Since this was a 6 year old, the placebo effect was just as likely with the goop as the pills. Perhaps even more likely, as the goop was going directly on the problem and the pills were just being taken by mouth.

So, I don't really know for sure how it works, but in my experience it does seem to sometimes. I would guess that it works on the non-physical part of our bodies , since there is no physical substance in the medicine. A nice contradiction in terms, since bodies are physical by definition...
#10 of 10 Old 11-26-2006, 01:51 AM

Quick primer to classical vs. complex or combo homeopathy:

"Classical homeopathy is one remedy at a time. This is the approach that Samuel Hahnemann developed and used back in the 18th and 19th centuries. It is chosen to match all your symptoms, rather than just one or two of them. There are people who practice what is referred to as complex homeopathy. This approach generally chooses multiple remedies to treat your symptoms. While these combination remedies can be useful for acute ailments, the diagnosis equals prescription approach rarely treats the whole person, but only affects the few symptoms that the remedies may happen to match. There are hundreds of remedies for depression. So, for example, if you are given a mix of 20 remedies to treat you and your depression, more than likely, the remedy you need for deep healing is not going to be among them."
--From Lotus Homeopathy, Twin Cities MN

One thing to remember, is that homeopathy is not the same as taking a drug or even herbs. The power of homeopathy is in the vibrational frequency of the remedy and potency. There may be absolutely no organic material of a remedy in said remedy, but the energy signature of the substance gives the body what it needs to stimulate healing on it's own.
Hope that was what you were looking for

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page