This is my first post, but I've been lurking here for a few months soaking up a lot of info. My DS just turned 18 mos, and is a Congenital Heart Defects survivor. Before his 12 month WBV, he was fully vaxed, on schedule.
Actually, he also had 5 or 6 rounds of Synagis too.
Anyway, as his 12 month visit approached, I started learning more and more about vaccines, and decided not to do any more until I researched them much more than I had before DS was born (I fell hook, line and sinker for the usual scaremongering). The more I've learned, the more anti-vax I have become. I can't say with 100% certainty that no child of mine will ever receive another vax, but that is the direction that I seem to be headed in. Of course I'm continuing to research the subject, and probably always will.
A little over a week ago, we moved from FL to GA. I've seen some recs for some non-vax friendly peds in this area, but haven't had the chance to set up a meeting as of yet.
I swear, I'm getting to the point...
1. How do I handle this issue with the new ped? With my old, very pro-vax ped, I had discussed this issue on several occasions. She knew I had concerns about vax safety (or lack thereof) and I did refuse the flu vax for DS at his 6 month apt (much to her annoyance), and at his 12 month apt (which I put off until almost 15 months b/c of this issue) I said we wanted to delay the MMR and CP until age 2, and refused the Hep A until I could research it more. The ped agreed to wait until 2 on the MMR and CP, but told us if we didn't do them at that point, we'd be asked to leave the practice. I'm betting this info will be in DS's chart. I've read in other posts here that you should never discuss your reasons for not vaxxing with your ped, so I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue. Kind of related, we have a cardiologist visit on the 19th, so I'm sure this is going to come up then as well.
2. Assuming DS goes to a public school down the road, I figure we'll need a religious exemption. Will issue #1 hurt us when we seek the exemption? Is there anything I should start doing now to cma? Can anyone help me with exemption info for GA? Does anyone have experience with this state? I'm wondering how big of a battle this is going to be. I'm a really non-confrontational person, but I will do what it takes to protect my baby!
3. What if, on some off chance, I decided DS had to have some vax or another in the future? Can I do that without jeopardizing the exemption?
4. I remember seeing a post a while back about someone being denied care at a Children's Hospital b/c of vax status. Would a religious exemption protect me there? DS will likely need procedures done at CHOA and or Miami Children's in the future, so this is a big issue.
5. Finally, DS was enrolled in the FL SHOTS program (online vax registry). How should I handle that?
I'm sorry this is so long. If you've made it through, thank you! I'm still learning, and I'm very grateful for any help you wise mamas can provide.