no opt out in vaccine registry in colorado?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this was taken from this site that i found while googling trying to figure out how to opt out of the vaccine registry here

http://www.dawnforgovernor.org/content/view/36/34/

---"To clear things up for my “D” opponent, Colorado is not "last" in vaccinating. As I have testified many times before during the legislative session in committee hearings, Colorado vaccination rates are high, above 90% in many cases. Colorado is last in one category; the last dose of DTaP which was suspended by Colorado's Board of Health due to a shortage. It makes sense that we would be last in that category given that the vaccine was not available! The Colorado Health Institute has released a white paper confirming my repeated testimony that we are not last in vaccinating. This lie was used to push dangerous legislation through which expanded our state tracking system and gave authority to the department of health to "notify" you regarding your child's vaccination status. How they will "notify" you is not specified in the new law which was passed in 2005 despite tremendous opposition. This tracking system can track your child's vaccination status without your knowledge or consent. You cannot opt out of the system. If you do, you end up on the "opt out table". Governor Bill Owens vetoed similar legislation in years prior due to concerns about privacy, but gave no reason for signing the bill this time around, though nothing had changed. "

is this correct? anybody else in colorado tried to opt out of the vaccine registry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoes26 View Post

is this correct? anybody else in colorado tried to opt out of the vaccine registry?
No, see here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=527728

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 12-03-2006, 01:14 AM

Ahhhhh, I recieved a couple e-mails and wondered what was up!!

What Dawn says is true. You can "opt out" of the registry, but it's not a true opt out, it just move you to an official opt out list. So you are still on a list.

It's really crappy legislation, but honestly it was all over the news and it seemed the public didn't give a damn. I hoofed it to the capital 3 different times to protest and to speak to my representitives. There were honestly only about 20 people who made any effort to speak out against this at all.

And the masses just go along...................
Old 12-03-2006, 11:26 AM

I've never heard anything about a vax registry for CO...is my DD not on the list then? She was homebirthed and has never seen a doctor other than an ER visit at around 8 months of age.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I've never heard anything about a vax registry for CO...is my DD not on the list then? She was homebirthed and has never seen a doctor other than an ER visit at around 8 months of age.
If she was born in CO, she's probably on it. Both my hb'ed kids were on it, even my newborn. I opted out with the form coloradoalice received.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:29 PM

Hmmm...well apparently they aren't too concerned with tracking her, at least as far as sending us "reminders" or whatever. Oh well, we're moving out of state in about two weeks so I guess it doesn't really matter at this point which list (the registry or the opt-out list) that she's on.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

my husband calls the opt out list their "bad parents list" .. *sigh* i guess i'd rather be on the bad parents list than have strangers having acess to my child's information and calling us.

i think things like that pass because on the outside, it seems like a good idea.. to those without children and a LOT of voters don't have children. and i'm sure it was given a lovely spin by it's funders. i just think of all that's not being done for kids really in need.. of food, clean water etc.. and our blasted government is spending money on building a databas, call center employees etc etc.. to remind parents. hell, they might as well call us three times a day to remind us to feed our children because goodness knows, we can't be in charge of that either. and why not to clip their toenails too..

i guess i need to become more politicaly involved and aware.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Hmmm...well apparently they aren't too concerned with tracking her, at least as far as sending us "reminders" or whatever. Oh well, we're moving out of state in about two weeks so I guess it doesn't really matter at this point which list (the registry or the opt-out list) that she's on.
I don't think they have the reminder part of the tracking fully in place yet. It's still in the works, but it's already been approved, so it will happen. She is in the system though, I can guarantee it. It's complied from birth records, ie. applications for birth certificates. And once you move make sure to check if there's a registry in your new state. They are in place in many states and in the works in many others. This is a new normal, another way of government getting their sticky little hands into your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoes26 View Post
my husband calls the opt out list their "bad parents list" .. *sigh* i guess i'd rather be on the bad parents list than have strangers having acess to my child's information and calling us.

i think things like that pass because on the outside, it seems like a good idea.. to those without children and a LOT of voters don't have children. and i'm sure it was given a lovely spin by it's funders. i just think of all that's not being done for kids really in need.. of food, clean water etc.. and our blasted government is spending money on building a databas, call center employees etc etc.. to remind parents. hell, they might as well call us three times a day to remind us to feed our children because goodness knows, we can't be in charge of that either. and why not to clip their toenails too..

i guess i need to become more politicaly involved and aware.
What your husband says is so true. It sucks, really sucks. There was a push for the system to be opt-in, meaning that your doctor or someone would inform you that this system was available if you would like to recieve reminders and then you could be in it if you choose. But of course the government didn't think that would be good enough. It's better to put everyone in automatically you know. Take care of things for us poor uneducated folks!

There is of course the line of thought that the opt-out list will be the target of vaccination pushes, especially in case of a breakout of something of epidemic proportions.

But not everyone on the opt out list is a non-vaxer. Anyone who doesn't want their kids information in the system can opt-out. I actually have two friends who vaccinate and both took their kids out of the system. Because it isn't anyones business what any of your medical decisions are, period.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think they have the reminder part of the tracking fully in place yet.
I am ashamed to say I haven't opted out yet, it has been on my to do list for ages. However, I got a postcard in the mail last week "reminding" me that my 16 year old "needs" a pertussis booster. :

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 12-03-2006, 06:40 PM

If the school chooses to use the immunization tracking system to monitor
compliance with the school law and the parent(s), or student submits an
exemption, the school must submit the exemption information to the
immunization tracking system.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:40 PM

From the CO exemption statute:

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/Immu...nual/sec15.pdf
Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
From the CO exemption statute:

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/Immu...nual/sec15.pdf

Yep, the system is able to be accessed by schools, doctors, insurance companies, etc..... The list of who has access is on the opt-out form and it's actually pretty big. Not to mention the people who actually maintain the registry, which is a company contracted by the state. So there are tons of people who have access to this private medical information.

It's bad, really bad.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:45 AM

Am I the only one who has considered not recording a baby's birth because of stuff like this? (I'm sure it would cause all sorts of problems but I can't say I haven't thought about it!)
Old 12-04-2006, 04:26 AM

Wow... guess I should watch the news from time to time? I had no idea this was going on. But - back in my considerably more ignorant days - I signed up ds for this, and I've never heard anything back about it..

Of course, I quit going to mainstream docs about six months ago, but he's way behind. Guess sometimes it pays to move every year!

lizzie

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Re leaving births unregistered...

My father had no birth certificate. He was born at home and his father and the doctor got to talking and just forgot the paperwork.

It did cause problems at various points in his life...but it might still be a good idea with the way things are going.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Re leaving births unregistered...

My father had no birth certificate. He was born at home and his father and the doctor got to talking and just forgot the paperwork.

It did cause problems at various points in his life...but it might still be a good idea with the way things are going.
You can't get a social security card/number without a birth certificate, though, can you? That is what would probably cause problems, the lack of a SS# when trying to enroll in college or insurance plans, get a driver's license, get a job...that sort of thing.

User Tag List