DTaP question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I've posted a few times here and find everything I read (while lurking) very helpful and informative. This is a bit long; the question is at the bottom.

DS reacted with four hours of crying after his first DTaP (Pediarix + HIB + Prevnar). I allowed him to get the second and third DTaPs, alone, with copious amounts of Vit. C (not the good kind, as I now know). He appeared to have no further reactions. The pediatrician was zealously in favor of vaccines.

DS's new pediatrician would NOT have recommended that he continue with the series at ALL based upon the reaction to shot #1. Yet, because he had 2 and 3, she's recommended that I continue them. DH and I are of course confused because if she wouldn't have done it had we gone to her last year, why now?

I had heard reactions were worse with the 4th and 5th shots; the ped. (who, for the most part, is such a marked improvement over pediatrician #1) said that has to do with local reactions not the type DS had.

DS has his 18 month appointment tomorrow. I am still inclined to hold on the DTaP (he's had nothing since 9 months, and it's been nice not having any vaccines!), and do plan to say just that to the ped. I do not believe that the DTaP works--and, I feel that believing in the shot is a big reason for getting it! Still, I am curious about the pediatrician's statements. She didn't appear to be scaring me into the shot (no horror stories about pertussis or anything like that). What concerned me was her assertion that she wouldn't have given him #2 or #3!

Anyway, for the question: is it at all true that the worse reactions to shots 4 and 5 more typically involve pain and swelling at the injection site?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Not an expert on the reactions, however your child is past the most dangerous age for pertussis (the most common of the three diseases) so why risk the vax? If you are concerned about diptheria and tetanus you can get a vax with just those two (although I'd research first and make sure you really want them).

No idea what the doctor is thinking! Doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Deborah--thanks--that was what I was thinking as well. I had felt much pressure with respect to the second and third (I was told that each one was the one DS needed to get any kind of immunity), even as I realized that from 0-6 months, he'd have no protection, so what was the point.

Still strange what the new ped. said, given that she'd have opposed the shots had she been the ped. last year.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 PM

I definitely wouldn't to the next two. Just tell her no. It totally doesn't make any sense for her to say she would have stopped and then say you should get the next 2.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 PM

I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:06 AM

I would not do them either.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Technically, it is the local reactions that get progressively worse. Anecdotally, "other" reactions get progressively worse. Make of that what you will.
I do see your new ped's logic and would agree with it if I was more in favor of the DTaP in general.
The 4th and 5th doses are just there to try to make the "P" portion work, and the evidence that the 4th and 5 doses make a difference is questionable.

The science behind vaccinating for pertussis in general is an absolute mess, and the science behind the 4th and 5th doses is extremely weak, IMO.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 PM

if it's not too late, check this out:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=495172
you've already secured rather high odds of immunity- why bother with another shot just to inch those odds up?

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

I told the ped that we didn't feel comfortable repeating pertussis. Before I could explain anything, she accepted that decision, and again agreed it would not have been a shot she'd continued with based upon DS's first reaction (which sounded neurological to her). So, DS is never having that shot again! His ped is recommending the pediatric DT at a future point, but it isn't something that was in stock so it wasn't on the table today.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolebeth View Post
His ped is recommending the pediatric DT at a future point, but it isn't something that was in stock so it wasn't on the table today.
Thank heavens! No child is in danger of tetanus. Unless it is born in Africa and the umbilical stump is covered with dirt and straw - as is traditionally done in same countries there.

Tetanus is a disease of old people with poor blood circulation, such as diabetics. And very few of them ever get it.

And diphtheria is a disease people in war torn countries with poor nutrition, dirty water, poor housing...get. Not kids that have plenty of food and no care.

It is also a poison like tetanus.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolebeth View Post
His ped is recommending the pediatric DT at a future point, but it isn't something that was in stock so it wasn't on the table today.

Your child has already had three doses of D and T - I would not continue.

The five dose DTaP recommendation is in place for pertussis protection, which is why they changed the DTaP primary series from three doses to four doses and then a booster to make it five doses.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

That's really interesting, LongIsland--thank you. I hadn't thought of the 4-5 shot series being just for the pertussis. It sounds a bit like the MMR being recommended twice, when the measles is the only part that supposedly "needs" repeating.

DS's ped was concerned about tetanus...most everyone is. "Your son can get it by crawling in the dirt at the park!" I have to say, growing up, I thought tetanus was everywhere, and it's hard to let go of that.

User Tag List