Help me avoid my mandatory military flu shot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in the military and this year someone decided everyone has to get the flu vax .

I am working on getting out of it medically because DS, who is still nursing, has eczema and food intolerances. (He has never been vaxed) Today I tried 'my son is allergic to eggs' with my physician and it didn't fly. She gave me a few reasons why. Anyone have any concrete data to help me prove that it really get through to him via breastmilk?

I am going to contact a military LC tomorrow, but I have little hope one of them to come through for me either.

I thought maybe I could 'fake' the Flumist by coating my nose with something and missing my nose with most of the dose. Could this work?

Any other ideas? Please, please, please...

We have our first pediatric allergy appt next monday, I don't know how receptive the allergist is going to be with this subject.

We create our own reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 AM

I would say I'm allergic to eggs. And anything else in them.
#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Eggs are not listed as an allergen for me in my records. I can schedule my own allergy appt and hope that I am allergic. But for now that won't fly.

#4 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 AM

What will they do if you refuse? What about a religious exemption?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#5 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

If I do a religious exemption it will disqualify me from being promoted. Since it is mandatory if I don't do it I will get in trouble with my superiors, written up that sort of thing. There are a bunch of us trying to get out of it but none of us has had any success.

#6 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Your baby is not in the military. If they give the vax to a nursing mother they are exposing a non-military person directly. You can't sue, but your baby could. Is there anyway in which you can tactfully point out the exposure problem for the baby? Even if the baby is not allergic to any of the vax ingredients they still have no right to dose this independent human being via the mom. Not that any of this will have an effect on the military, sigh.
#7 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM

Unfortunately, Deborah, they wouldn't even let nursing moms out of the untested Anthrax vaccines. At least one woman was disciplined (and I believe eventually kicked out) because she refused it a few years ago, back when it was still required for everyone. I definitely don't think they care about the flu shot. They even force all the pregnant women to get it, too.
#8 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 PM

There was a thread a few weeks ago that mentioned people coating their noses with vaseline before the vax.

Are you planning on staying in longer-term? If not you could try to get a religious exemption.

You could also try "forgetting" until/unless someone tells you to go now...DH has missed a couple of flu shots that way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page