What's bad about the shingles vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did what I thought to be a thorough search on Google, and I could not find anything agains the shingles vaccine! I found plenty of pages complaining that the chickenpox vaccine has made the shingles vaccine necessary, but nothing on why my father should not get it.

It claims to be 50% effective at prevention, and for the rest it says it will lessen the severity. So not super effective, but apprently somewhat.

Shingles is so painful, can cause permanent damage, and is becoming quite common.

I know one way to help prevent shingles is to be regularly exposed to chickenpox, but scouting for chickenpox parties is not something he would do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing... I'm sorta curious too. I can think of the usual bad stuff - all the general nasty stuff in the vax, and the possibility of side effects, etc. But it's true that without exposure to live CP, shingles becomes more and more of a possibility, and exposure to live CP is becoming so rare in the general population. Two of my sisters have had shingles (one as a child and one while pregnant) and it was incredibly painful for them.

Is the "shingles" vax just another name for a CP booster? What are the age/frequency recs for it?

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#3 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 11:11 AM

The shingles vax is made with aborted fetal cell lines.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#4 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 11:15 AM

I don't know except the usual, nasty ingredients.

But 50% effective means 50% ineffective. So whether you get it or not doesn't matter.

And as far as severity - they always say that when getting the vaccine doesn't work any better than not getting the vaccine. That's your consolation prize for buying it and then getting shingles anyway. Good trick! Vaccine history on diseases I've read up on gives a different account.

Let's see what others say about it. I actually never researched it since there is no way we would get any vaccine.
#5 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle View Post
The shingles vax is made with aborted fetal cell lines.
yup.
#6 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 02:17 PM

I had shingles when I was 5. Yes it was painful but I would take that over the vax. Especially since I realized I have an allergy to metal I can't be injecting myself with aluminum.
#7 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post
Is the "shingles" vax just another name for a CP booster? What are the age/frequency recs for it?
It is recommended for people over 60. It is the chickenpox vax 14 times stronger. Not sure if it is a one time thing or if boosters are needed.
#8 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM

If I ever get Shingles I will be ODing on vitamin C.

Klenner had good success with C shingles and chickenpox.
#9 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy View Post
I did what I thought to be a thorough search on Google, and I could not find anything agains the shingles vaccine! I found plenty of pages complaining that the chickenpox vaccine has made the shingles vaccine necessary, but nothing on why my father should not get it.
1) It's too new a vaccine for there to be any sniff of a problem.

2) Even 10 years down the line, there is unlikely to be any sniff of a problem, because after vaccines, any bad effects are always coincidental and are never caused by vaccines.

Never mind that if you were given an antibiotic and had anaphylactic symptoms you'd be made to wear a medic alert, and avoid that antibiotic for the rest of your life.

Such logic never applies to any living biologic, which is what a vaccine is called.

Quote:
It claims to be 50% effective at prevention, and for the rest it says
Which is commonly called "hedging your bets". It means that when someone gets shingles after the vaccine the doc says
Quote:
Oh no, it wasn't from the vaccine, and probably wasn't because the shot didn't work. It's all those irresponsible mothers who don't vaccinate their kids with the chickenpox vaccine, so chickenpox still floats around. If they had done that, then this vaccine would have worked for you
Quote:
Shingles is so painful, can cause permanent damage, and is becoming quite common.
Really? I know lots of people who have had shingles, it wasn't that painful, and none of them have permanent damage.

So why is it that shingles is NOW becoming "more dangerous"? Might it be that the recipients of permanent damage live on white bread, white sugar, taffy and coca-cola? After all, shingles has been around for decades, and never have there been huge studies showing that older people had problems with shingles. Perhaps now, the problem is with older people? How have their lives changed in the last 50 years?

Quote:
I know one way to help prevent shingles is to be regularly exposed to chickenpox, but scouting for chickenpox parties is not something he would do.
But in an older person who "might" live as described above, a chickenpox party might actually provoke shingles... you never know. After all, lots of kids given the CP vaccine, come down with shingles not long after.

Might there not be a connection?

Of course not. Silly me.

Facetiousness within this post is poked at the universe, not anyone in particular. It's that time of the month.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#10 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
How old is your father?
Here's the package insert:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/label/zosmer052506LB.pdf
#11 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
How old is your father?
Here's the package insert:
http://www.fda.gov/cber/label/zosmer052506LB.pdf
When they say bovine serum what is the serum? I would think some kind of bodily fluid mixed with something?
#12 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 PM

http://www.stifud.se/docs/fetal_bovine_serum_final.pdf

It's cow fetus blood.
If you get bored, go to pubmed or google scholar and look up "bovine viral diarrhea virus" and "MMR" and "FBS" in different combinations. There have been quite a few cases of weirdo cow viruses making it into vaccines via this stuff.
#13 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
http://www.stifud.se/docs/fetal_bovine_serum_final.pdf

It's cow fetus blood.
If you get bored, go to pubmed or google scholar and look up "bovine viral diarrhea virus" and "MMR" and "FBS" in different combinations. There have been quite a few cases of weirdo cow viruses making it into vaccines via this stuff.
Yikes! One thing I can add to my list of reasons against vaccination.
Quote:
Summary - Fetal bovine serum (FBS) is a common component of animal cell culture media. FBS is harvested from bovine fetuses taken from pregnant cows during slaughter. FBS is commonly harvested by means of a cardiac puncture without any form of anaesthesia. Fetuses are likely exposed to pain and/or discomfort and therefore current practice of fetal blood harvest is inhumane.
#14 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 09:51 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page