CP exposure - is it necessary? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a dumb question, but here goes.

Now that the vax is out there, exposure to CP seems to be getting increasingly difficult....which leads me to believe that getting the CP in general would be less likely.

Recently, I was at a party and this older woman told me that her daughter in law's child (who was vaxed against CP) got it and the daughter in law had never had it. The daughter in law went to the doc who gave her a medicine that decreased the severity of the CP so it wasn't too dangerous of an adult case. I have no clue if this is true, possible, or what drug this might have been. Does anyone know about this? Are there other treatments for adult CP to make it less threatening? If so, is it possible to just forget about CP all together? Seems like your chances of contracting it naturally are getting slimmer and if you do get it as an adult, there is possibly some treatment to keep you from getting seriously ill (presuming thats true).

I guess i just wonder if its possible to go through your life without ever getting CP at this point, thus bypassing shingles, and not even having to chase the exposure in childhood. The rarity of pox parties is really frustrating for me to think about.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#2 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 02:53 AM

I'm betting they gave her an antiviral...I think the effectiveness of these is spotty. I'm trying to remember what I know of them from my pharm class but basically they're not really virus specific, but they somehow interfere with virus replication? Sorta like the HIV drugs or the anti-flu stuff. I'm sure someone else here knows more. It's not something I'd necessarily rely on, but it probably does help some people.

But your original observation makes more sense to me...if it's that frickin' hard to expose your kid to it on PURPOSE...how easy is it really going to be to catch as an adult?? And I bet there are natural things you can do to prevent it from being super serious as an adult too.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#3 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 03:53 AM

Did she get a titer to see if she has actually had CP before? When I was pg with my one of my kids they tested my blood and lo and behold I have CP antibodies even though I never showed any symptoms of it in my life. Apparently not everyone who gets it gets the spots and sometimes it can look like a regular stomach bug or even like nothing at all.
#4 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Spy

I am an adult with no history of CP. I don't consider myself threatened at all . If I have to get it, I will get it. If I was exposed and developed immunity, fine. If I get it and it's bad - there is always homeopathy that treats CP beautifully. Compared to what else I've never had and may, theoretically, get as an adult, CP doesn't worry me one bit Not that anything else does, I still somehow believe that if I didn't get the disease so far, there is a reason for it other than lack of exposure : Same with measles - I was vaccinated once, at 1 year or so, and there is no hope in the world I am still immune :

As for antiviral drugs - anything you take when you're sick can claim it saved your life and you would have died otherwise, and you have no way of knowing that . This is how pharmaceutical industry works
#5 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV View Post
I'm betting they gave her an antiviral...I think the effectiveness of these is spotty. I'm trying to remember what I know of them from my pharm class but basically they're not really virus specific, but they somehow interfere with virus replication? Sorta like the HIV drugs or the anti-flu stuff. I'm sure someone else here knows more. It's not something I'd necessarily rely on, but it probably does help some people.

But your original observation makes more sense to me...if it's that frickin' hard to expose your kid to it on PURPOSE...how easy is it really going to be to catch as an adult?? And I bet there are natural things you can do to prevent it from being super serious as an adult too.
So true! I keep missing the chicken pox that seem to be all around me lately. Someone I see most weeks had chicken pox and I didn't even realize it until it was too late! I'm in europe, so it should be easy, but we'll be in the states in 3 weeks and I know it'll be near impossible to find pox. argh

At my daughters old preschool, there was an outbreak of CP and most of the kids that got it had been vaccinated for it, which I thought was pretty interesting.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#6 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM

Yeah, my oldest DD was vaxed for CP (stupid...I got freaked out when a friend of my parent's kid almost died from CP..turns out she had this insanely rare form that manifested as internal pox, and there are all these docs on their case to study her because they've basically never seen anything like that before), and I wonder if she'll get it whenever younger DD gets it. I have heard (here?) that it's good to expose vaxed kids to CP too because they'll build up the natural, better immunity too.

and Beth I can't remember if I told you...Matt had CP at 19. It was really bad, his fever got so high he was hallucinating...but obviously he didn't have any long term effects and he's with us today.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#7 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM

Add my husband to the list of people who have never gotten CP symptoms but shows immunity to it. I exposed my daughter to a child who had it when she was 18 mths and at that time, my DH went in to check his immunity to it so he could consider whether or not he wanted to get vaccinated against it.

My daughter didn't get it after all.

I am concerned with the lack of exposure to this virus, that our bodies aren't exposed to it continually to build a resistance.

Not sure what we will do in the future if they don't get it.
#8 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 PM

I know of two little boys who have been exposed to cp on purpose numerous times. I really don't think one must show clinical signs to be given immunity.
They haven't had titers checked, but heck; they've been exposed!

My mom said she never would have known I had cp if I hadn't had two brothers covered in spots and itching like mad. I had two spots and no other symptoms.

Although I never had severe clinical symptoms, I haven't "caught" it again either, despite both my kids having it last summer.

OTOH, I also have an adult friend who has had clinical signs twice now. When she was exposed to my kiddos, she did not get it again...
#9 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 04:56 PM

i am wondering about this too b/c i have heard from a friend that someone who has cp as a kid seems to be more likely to get it again as an adult... i dont know how true this is but its making me wonder... and heres another question. if i want to expose my dd to a kid who has cp so she gets it, how do i know that kid with the cp got it naturally and not from a kid who got the vax?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#10 of 10 Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 PM

They could have also given her the shot. If she hadn't started showing symptoms yet that's another thing they do.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page