Another 'if I am religiously opposed to vax' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So then what if you are now religously opposed to vaxing? : How is that explained to the doc? 'Um, yeah, I changed religions last year?'

Or should I just change docs and not transfer records and say they've never been vaxed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treereach View Post
How is that explained to the doc? 'Um, yeah, I changed religions last year?'
Well, you don't necessarily need to "change religions," but your personal beliefs. Regardless, you don't have to explain anything to anyone, let alone your child's doctor.
#3 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 AM

you can change beliefs at any time. you perspective on any topic will change as you aquire more information/experiences. the religious exemption is used to state your beliefs, not to state a specific religous affiliation.

you won't need an exemption for the doctor anyway, only for a school/daycare. all you need to tell the dr is that you have decided to stop vaccinating. depending on the dr.'s stance, you may have to find a new one anyway.
#4 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, right, I see. I guess I was just looking for something to combine the 'religious' exemption that people say is best, with visiting a doc that has already given my son vaxs before. But I guess you're right, they'll probly just kick me out anyways.

I think I felt the need for a little more explanation than usual because of our history together. But I probly shouldn't get her used to talking about peoples relig exemptions anyways.
#5 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 01:17 AM

yeah, i think bringing up a religious exemption to the ped will only complicate things. chances are (and i hope this isn't the case for you) the ped will try to tell you how wrong you are and 'educate' you on vaxs. and then try to convince you to change your mind.
#6 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I brought up my reservations (along time ago, before I had read too much) and the nurse just blew them off and quickly proceeded to inject him with four things before I could say too much. I have a feeling they're just going to fire me.

*sigh* I have no desire to go from ped to ped seeing if they are ok with my decision.

Oh, well. At least I have you ladies here to keep me from going in and saying anything stupid. What would we do without the vax board??
#7 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 AM

if you have to find a new one, better to do some searching by phone. i made a list of all the dr that my insurance covered. i called each and asked a few questions - if they were taking new patients, confirmed they took my ins and do they see non vax'd patients. most said no, a few said they would but preferred not to and a couple said yes. then my choices were WAY narrowed down!

good luck, stick to your guns!
#8 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
*sigh* I have no desire to go from ped to ped seeing if they are ok with my decision.

So don't. Pick a new doctor and don't say anything. Don't ask for permission. When the topic comes up at a visit, say "No we don't vaccinate for religious reasons" and let that be the end of it. I'd encourage anyone who gets pressured after that, or threatened with expulsion from the practice, to bring up "religious discrimination". But that's just me. Or avoid the topic altogether by only taking the child in for sick visits. Well child visits are basically a bunch of hooey anyway.
#9 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 AM

I find the less you say the better it is, especially to people that are against how you feel. I just say very little until I get a positive response.. then I go on. My sil is having a hard time with this, as she and my brother decided not to vaccinate (yay!). So I told her to just not say anything at all, there is no reason to have to defend your beliefs, and I have said that before to people who want to debate me.. "I am very comfortable with my decision and dont feel like i need to debate it".... (and this is only from people online).
#10 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
they'll probly just kick me out anyways.
Not necessarily.
But even if they don't, be ready for the inevitable scaremongering/outright lying, bullying, and guilt trip - all likely wrapped into a VERY long conversation about why you are wrong and they are right. After the initial go-round with our ped, I found it best not to argue or justify my decision at all. Now, they ask - and I just smile and say, "We're still delaying, thanks." (Which, I have discovered, is a better statement than "We're no longer vaccinating", b/c it allows them to believe that they still have some control over the situation.) End of conversation.

We've been with our peds practice for over 16 years, and vaccinated without question for almost 14. When we decided to stop, you bet they put up a fight - but thanks to all the support and information I get here, I'm able to stand up to them. And I get more convicted and more confident with my decision every time I go in (which - admittedly - isn't very often; my kids rarely see the doc).

They don't like my decision, for sure - but they haven't kicked me out yet. Quite frankly, I wouldn't care if they did - we're really only there for the convenience of after-hours and weekend care anyway.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#11 of 11 Old 01-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another way to go is to ask on the Finding Your Tribe board. I've gotten, and given, good info on local doctors who have compatible philosophies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page