ER nurse---VENT! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HI,

Just needed to vent a bit. We had to take ds to the ER yesterday, because he fell off the couch and hit his head on the coffee table, and there was a dent in the back of his head. I was terrified, and rushed him to the hospital.

When we got there, the triage nurse asked the dreaded question. "Are his immunizations current?" I froze. "No," I said. "We are delaying them."

"So he has had NOTHING?"

"Yes."

""WHY???"

I told her I had made the decision with my doctor to delay them (indefinitely, which is none of her business), and that he was supportive of that. (ds is 13 months old)

She shook her head, told me she had never heard of my doctor (how is that relevant?), and went on with the exam.

dIF my son had been injured badly (which he was not, thank God), did she reallly think it was important to question me about vaccine status? How is that relevant to a head injury??? I could understand if he had a dirty puncture wound, or something that would even remotely be affected by vaccine status, but a bump on the head???

I should have just told her we have a religious exemption, but my head was swirling with worry about my son!

They also gave me weird looks when I told them he was nursing. Don't these people know ANYTHING????

Ds is fine, we did skull x rays, and everything looked good. The dent was gone by the time we left the hospital (THREE HOURS LATER!!!), and he did fine all night. Vomited once, but I think that was more due to the big dinner he had. Dr. told us to feed him whatever he wanted, so that's what we did!

He woke up to nurse a lot on his own overnight, and is totally himself today. Again, Thank God!

I just had to vent because I am still amazed at how awful, judgemental, and ignorant people are. I know it is their belief that vaccinations are the best thing in the world, but if I choose differently for my family, it's NONE OF HER BUSINESS!!!!!!!

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fortunately, we've never had to use the ER (knock on wood!) but I've often thought about how I would feel if that happened to me. I would be livid. People really are often uninformed and rude.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
She shook her head, told me she had never heard of my doctor (how is that relevant?), and went on with the exam.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 PM

I can just see the look now: if I told her I was nursing an almost 4 year old (I did get those looks from others when I was at the time)

Glad to hear your son is ok.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM

I always say "yes" to my daughter's vaxes being current. Since she isn't getting any, she's right on schedule.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM

My daughter went in with tennis elbow last summer (she is 6) and they asked if she was fully vaccinated. : I just said yes and we moved on to the issue at hand.

It takes guts to them your child wasn't vaccinated. I'm still working on my bravery.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am just floored by how stupid people like this nurse are. The doctor never even brought it up during the exam.

I really felt like she was trying to intimidate me, and it only made me more angry. I should have just said, 'yes," and moved on. I like one of the above poster's attitude, that since he is not getting any, yes, he is right on schedule!!!

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 01-05-2007, 04:30 PM

I have taken our oldest to the ER twice. Both times I have been asked and both times have stated religious exemption.

Thought the last ER nurse didn't know what that was. She said no vaccinations and I said Yep.

That was it.

If the issue was to be pushed I would tell them that vaccines dont have anything to do with the issue at hand so please get back to the reason we brought dd here in the first place.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You are lucky the police were not called as they were in my case fifteen years ago.

You should have simply said that your child is up-to-date, because, as far as you are concerned, your child is.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 01-06-2007, 12:57 AM

I don't know if the hospitals around here are medical dimwits (to judge by your experience) but I was never asked if he was vaxed when brought to the ER (happened twice)

I got off the hook, so to speak
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 AM

My son was admitted into the hospital the day after he turned 1- he had a severe care of pneumonia. I told the admitting nurse that he was up to date but told the doctor treating him that he was not vaccinated, and had a very good 20 minute discussion with him about why I was not vaccinating. I was very surprised at how receptive and respectful he was of my decision.

If I had to take him again, I would tell them that he has a religious exemption. And then I would nurse him. He is now 22 months old
Old 01-06-2007, 01:43 AM

I think that if I would have to take one of my grandsons into the ER and they would ask about vaccines, I would ask them what that has to do with his reason for being here?

I would want them to give me a reason why they are asking that question. And then I would not give them the satisfaction of an answer. I would say it has nothing to do with our reasons for being here.

But I am not one bit shy when it comes to docs. Not at all.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:11 AM

I can totally relate. DD had a febrile seizure in the car when she was 13 months old, on the way to the doc, BTW. I called 911 & the ambulance took her to the ER. You had to see the look of disgust on the nurses face when, after her asking, I told her she wasn't vaxed. It was even worse when she asked me when was the last time I gave her Tylenol or Motrin. I hadn't given her any (I was letting her body do what I thought it needed to do, so I screwed up in that respect). I was shaking & I thought for sure CPS would be walking in any minute. I also thought they were going to refuse to treat her. They made me feel like a freaking idiot & were disrespectful. For awhile after that, I kept questioning myself & wondering if I had made the wrong decision not to vax. I was so intimidated, and mind you, I used to be a nurse...go figure. When you're an AP/natural parent you are a minority in this screwed up society. It's hard fighting for what you believe is best for your DC when no one else believes you.

I am really glad to hear DS is OK. That is frightening! I'm also really sorry that the nurse was such an a$$ . Gitti has a great point, answer with a question. I'll have to remeber that myself!

Laurie, 43

Rob, 43

Erin, 7

Old 01-06-2007, 02:24 AM

I went to the ER not long ago and the nurse asked the same question and I said no, we don't vaccinate. She was really interested, asked me some questions about why I don't like vaccines, and said 'oh thats really interesting, thanks for sharing'.
She was really open about it and seemed to really take in what I said. I was surprised.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:46 AM

{{{{HUGS}}}} Glad the babe is okay!!

Just wanted to throw this out there....I have been to the ER twice (for me) since DD was born...they never once asked my vax status...I wonder why they don't "care" about me

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 01-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Asking vax status is on the pediatric assessment sheet, so it is a routine quetion. (I am/was an ER nurse for 10 years -I haven't worked for about a year).
I also think it is a valid part of a complete medical history. I have never been told to react one way or another when parents answer the quesiton.

As an aside:
NONE of my coworkers breastfed longer than about 6 months, and I was continually frowned upon for having to pump during my 12 hour shift.
A LOT of my pregnant coworkers would go outside and smoke during our shifts.
I have argued MANY TIMES with the other nurses when I purposefully did not medicate a child with a fever of 101 or less in triage.

A handful of nurses are amazing, mindful, knowledgeable, etc...
Most are just regular people doing their job the way they were taught.
Another handful are horrible, spiteful, full of themselves, etc...
ALL are taught in MEDICAL INSTITUTIONS--which says it all!

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11

User Tag List