Combo Vaxes vs Single Vaxes - Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2007, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In regards to combo vaxes (like the IPV - Hep B for example) - is the amount of the preservative the same in the combo vax as it is in each single dose? In other words, does the combo have two times as much, or the same amount as a single vax injection? I guess I'm really asking....if you do shots every few weeks to space them out rather than giving them together as recommended, is that like giving your kid a steady stream of poison that just goes on and on? Vs. if you give them the combo vaccines, are you getting a larger dose but getting it over with so they can recover? Does this make any sense? PLease let me know if I should clarify. I'm just debating with myself if its worse to just keep the stream of crap going in every 4-6 weeks, or to do the combo shots and get it over with.

We had the crappiest peds visit...everything I said she just shot me down (me & my kid's free ride, the requisite horror story about Hib, serotype replacement is garbage, the medical profession is just out to help, etc). But maybe that's another thread

TIA !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
We had the crappiest peds visit...everything I said she just shot me down (me & my kid's free ride, the requisite horror story about Hib, serotype replacement is garbage, the medical profession is just out to help, etc). But maybe that's another thread

TIA !
So why bother to go to more of the same? You sound like you already know quite a bit, why not keep on researching and skipping wbv at least for now?

I can't answer your questions. That would be so much like advising you to inject something. It is totally against my philosophy.... Sorry! good luck.

Since you are from NE Pa, you might be interested in this group -

Holistic Moms Network It's a super group from what I've heard.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Because I'm totally chicken, that's why!!

I figured some people here wouldn't want to advise on it, that's ok. So far he has had 3 dtaps in ten months, that's it, and I am totally stuck on my decision on whether to continue with anything more at all. That's why I was asking the question....if the answer is what I think it is, I probably won't continue to do anything.

Thanks anyway!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 AM

Hey I understand completely. Well, almost.

We were in the same boat but it didn't take us long to progress. We did one more vax after we figured they weren't all that good and soon we regretted that one too.

Anyway, it's easy. Just don't do any more until you are 100% sure. This way you won't beat yourself up after you've fully researched.

Please don't ask me about what I would inject into my (grand) children. The answer is NOTHING EVER. We have very much regretted what was injected.

I love kids, that's why I couldn't in all sincerity answer your question. But anything else, please ask away. :
Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 AM

The combo shots reduce your amount of exposure to the toxins (vis a vis getting the shots in multiple single doses) but the combo shots in most cases are the bigger risk. Several papers have concluded that the Hib in a combo shot form does not work very well and that the reduced efficacy of the combo Hib shot explains the recent resurgence of Hib disease. The MMR is an even better example: the measles vaccine virus causes a very marked cellular immunosuppression which allows the mumps and rubella viruses to thrive better than they would if injected in single doses months apart. That's just one of the problems with MMR combo vax, there are quite a few others.

If you search the literature you'll find that a lot of combo shots come with some nastier side effects than the single doses. I remember seeing a study on Twinrix showing that it did liver damage.

The combo shots exist for ease of convenience: nobody would do the full compliment of vaccines if you had to get them all as single dose injections. The combo shots are not to make the vaccine work better or to make it safer - it is only for convenience. The problem is the negative side effects can be synergistic in combo shots. The literature has detailed some of it and some of the drug companies have info on it, too, that they aren't releasing to the public.

It's a gamble either way. But if I had to, I'd hedge on the single doses. And that is entirely JMO.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This isn't the answer to your question, but it's something I feel strongly on. You deserve a better doctor--one who respects you and listens to you. It took me a while to really feel comfortable with this, even though it's totally common sense--you are their employer and I know I can't treat my employer like some peds treat parents. And if I am ever in a bad position, like with a really sick/injured kid, I want someone who will listen to me, even if I am scared and not very eloquent. If my kid's doctor won't listen when I'm at my best, at a regular, scheduled, healthy kid visit, then I have no reason to believe they'll listen to my concerns and questions when I'm at my worst.

I have no idea about the real answer to your question, I've wondered the same thing about how much junk is in the combo vs the individuals, but since I eventually ended up at the no-vax place, I haven't pursued it. But I wanted to put in my 2-cents that you and your child deserve better. And better is out there--the Finding Your Tribe folks often have good recommendations, esp if you are okay with a family practitioner (I have one and am quite happy).

I hope you find someone who really knows the answer to your question. I want to know too.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
I'm just debating with myself if its worse to just keep the stream of crap going in every 4-6 weeks, or to do the combo shots and get it over with.
You need to put PA school requirements into the mix here in order to guide your decision. Here's why:

D, T and P
In Pennsylvania, pertussis is not even requried, so you can get DT instead of DTaP if you wanted. Also, only THREE doses are required, but your ped will want to do the FIVE recommended doses. OUTCOME: You can eliminate two DTaP doses right there.

M, M and R
Two doses of measles are required, but only ONE dose of mumps and rubella. OUTCOME: You can eliminate the second dose MMR and either get monovalent measles or do a titer check for measles immunity in kindergarten (we did this).

POLIO
Only three doses of IPV are required, but your ped will want to do the recommened FOUR doses. OUTCOME: You can eliminate one dose here.

HEPATITIS B: Not required until kindergarten.

VARICELLA: In Pa, a note from the parent stating that your child has already had varicella is satisfactory proof of immunty. OUTCOME: You can avoid this shot without using an exemption AND you will avoid the second dose requirement in the very near future.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/he...a=178&q=242070

Keep in mind that if there are any vaccines/doses that you don't want your child to have now or in the future, you can use PA's religious/moral conviction exemption form and vaccinate on your own schedule privately.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks! I forgot that the CDC recs and the state recs differed. That makes a big difference in my decision. Thanks for responding with that info!

User Tag List