why not vax? - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Vaccinations > why not vax?
SaraBravo's Avatar SaraBravo 11:06 AM 01-22-2007
so i've always seen vax as important but i've seen so many people on here with the no vax sign so i was wondering why not vax? what are the down sides? i'd rather my little on not get pollio or anything like that

Potty Diva's Avatar Potty Diva 11:11 AM 01-22-2007
For answers to your questions please see MDC's Vaccinations forum.

The only cases of Polio since 1967 have been vaccine-induced (or caused by the vaccine).

Education is the key.
MsElle07's Avatar MsElle07 11:12 AM 01-22-2007
Yep, there's more info than you can believe over on the vax board.
Potty Diva's Avatar Potty Diva 11:17 AM 01-22-2007
Beware: You'll leave that board with your head spinning.
vermontgirl's Avatar vermontgirl 11:47 AM 01-22-2007
Hi there!

It is so cool that you are asking about the vax thing. Before I had Harvest I thought he would be vaccinated-but then started having bad feelings about it. I read a little on the vaccination board here on mothering and decided to delay while I researched a little. After researching I decided not to do vaccinations at all-and I feel GREAT about that decision.
You should buy a couple books about vaccinations before you make a decision...and also ask this question on the vaccination board. They love helping people out over there.
A couple of books that helped me out...
http://www.amazon.com/Vaccinations-T...e=UTF8&s=books (my favorite)
http://www.amazon.com/What-Doctor-Ab...e=UTF8&s=books
This one EVERY parent should have...http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Healthy-...e=UTF8&s=books

Good luck SaraBravo! Take care.
eco_mama's Avatar eco_mama 12:41 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
For answers to your questions please see MDC's Vaccinations forum.
:
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 01:09 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBravo View Post
i'd rather my little on not get pollio or anything like that
When was the last time you saw anyone come down with polio?! :

I'm more affraid of the vaccines and all the crap in them then I am of my DD getting sick.
wanderlost's Avatar wanderlost 01:30 PM 01-22-2007
My son is fully vaxed. I wasn't going to vax him, but then I let my pedi talk me into them one by one. He had been sick with menngitis as a baby and so I was a bit wary from that and had the same fears you did..."I don't want him to get___ disease now," So I vaxed him.

With my daughter I decided I would do delayed and selective vaxes. My pedi was supportive of that, gave me some good ideas (Along the same schedule as Stephanie Cave's schedule) and then we got the HIb and PRevnar vaxes. I had a bad feeling after I let her have those vaxes and then, I finally decided I better educate myself about this stuff...and now we are not vaxing anymore at all.

I think it's great you're asking because I could kick myself now for not being more proactive sooner, especially with my son. The last thing he needed after being sick with meningitis were vaccinations!

Educate yourself and then make your decisions.
BennyPai's Avatar BennyPai 01:36 PM 01-22-2007
Kudos to you, SaraBravo, for looking into this issue!
When dh & I began to become informed on vax-ing, we halted the process for our then- 11 mos. dd. After learning more, we decided not to continue with now 3yo dd's vax and have not vaxed our younger 15 mos. dd at all.

THe only regret I have is not researching this sooner.
Mama Poot's Avatar Mama Poot 01:47 PM 01-22-2007
All dangers of vax aside, our family's biggest reason for not vaxing is an ethical one. Cells and parts from aborted human fetuses, and also parts and cells of animals like chickens, monkeys, and cows are used to make these vaccines, and we do not condone such things. *DONT TAKE THIS AS AN OPENING FOR A FLAME WAR ABOUT ABORTION* I'm just telling the OP the facts and just one more reason why someone might choose not to vaccinate their kids.
alegna's Avatar alegna 01:54 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBravo View Post
so i've always seen vax as important but i've seen so many people on here with the no vax sign so i was wondering why not vax? what are the down sides? i'd rather my little on not get pollio or anything like that
Great question! I wondered the same thing myself, not so long ago. What I found is that my child is at more risk for a serious vaccine reaction than anything dangerous from the diseases.

Polio, for example, since you mention it- there haven't been any cases of polio in the US in decades. None. So seems to me that my child has almost no chance of catching it at all.

-Angela
StacyL's Avatar StacyL 02:00 PM 01-22-2007
I sure do post this a lot, but read this article to see if you get an answer to your question:

http://*********/vaccine/olmsted1.html

Then read Eisenstein's book, a great place to start:

Don't Vaccinate Before You Educate

And here's an excellent article about the majority of vaccines being made from the human aborted fetal tissue platform:

The Vaccination Question by Timothy P. Collins, M.D.
kiwiva's Avatar kiwiva 02:44 PM 01-22-2007
After being vaccinated for chicken pox twice in the last 7 years and still not being immune, I finally decided to do some research before considering vax for my new baby. (I was vaxed bc I had great pox anxiety - afraid of getting it while pregnant)

As the pps said, the vax forum is great. If you research the actual diseases the vaxes are supposed to prevent, you will definitely question the wisdom of injecting all that crap into your perfect little baby to prevent some of these things. Chicken pox is a perfect example. When did that become life-threatening for the average healthy kid?

And what about Hep B? Created for IV drug users and prostitutes but let's give it to all the day old infants?! WTH? : They are a captive audience then, that is the justification.

With the number of things we are told to avoid while pregnant and breastfeeding, I find it amazing that they practically force us to inject heavy metals, fromaldehyde, etc into babies. We are programmed to fear tuna but you must get your kid annually injected with flu vax that still has mercury, I believe. Makes no sense.

Definitely do your research so you can be comfortable with whatever you decide. You can always vax later but you can't take it back.
NYCVeg's Avatar NYCVeg 02:53 PM 01-22-2007
I really liked Aviva Jill Romm's book, "Vaccination: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide." I highly recommend it as a good "starter" text. I agree--check out the vax board.

But here are some reasons why people don't vaccinate:

1) Vaccines are loaded with things like formaldehyde, aluminum, mercury (large doses taken out of many shots, but traces remain in some and some--like the flu shot--still have 25 mcg), etc. These substances are toxins and accrete in the body.

2) Vaccines can and do cause serious reactions, including brain swelling, seizures, autoimmune disorders (Guillian Barre syndrome, diabetes), autism, language regression, and death. There are many mamas on this board who have lost children to "routine" childhood vaccinations.

3) Vaccines are not nearly as effective as doctors would leave you to believe. Many people who are vaccinated still get the diseases against which they are supposedly "protected". Vaccine "immunity" wears off--so, instead of getting chicken pox as a child, when the disease is relatively harmless, your child might get it as an adult, when it is much, much more dangerous.

4) Most of the diseases for which people vaccinate are not very dangerous for most people (especially infants and toddlers who are breastfed). These diseases used to be "routine"--much like chicken pox was when most of us were children. There are treatments for the diseases--there are not effective treatments for most serious vaccine reactions.

5) Vaccines are not adequately tested for safety. They are not tested at all for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential.

These are just some of the reasons. Check out the vax board!
KayCSmommy's Avatar KayCSmommy 11:21 PM 01-22-2007
What about going to preschool, day care and even regular school? Your child will not be allowed to go to any of these places with out having their Vacciantions?

Of course I never knew that there was an option in vaccaintion or not, but I know there is alot of places that require them in order for children to be in, including schools.I dont exactly agree with them all, but I want my son to be able to go to school and ect, ect when he gets older.

Now when they told me that my son need to have a flu shot, I told them I didn't want him to have one. (everyone I know that gets a flu shot ends up getting sick from it) They told me that he had to have one, and to bring him back in a month for his second one. Sure enough he got sick, and was sick for three weeks. I never took him back for the second shot, but I dont want him to get sick again.
Potty Diva's Avatar Potty Diva 11:33 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCSmommy View Post
What about going to preschool, day care and even regular school? Your child will not be allowed to go to any of these places with out having their Vacciantions?

Of course I never knew that there was an option in vaccaintion or not, but I know there is alot of places that require them in order for children to be in, including schools.I dont exactly agree with them all, but I want my son to be able to go to school and ect, ect when he gets older.

Now when they told me that my son need to have a flu shot, I told them I didn't want him to have one. (everyone I know that gets a flu shot ends up getting sick from it) They told me that he had to have one, and to bring him back in a month for his second one. Sure enough he got sick, and was sick for three weeks. I never took him back for the second shot, but I dont want him to get sick again.

To anser your question/comment regarding mandatory vacciantions to enter school: Vaccination Exemption Form.

Flu shots are NOT mandatory and our health department only suggests them for children under 6 months of age or over 55 and for those who suffer from a compromised immune system (barf- most likely caused by vax in the first place).

I'm curious as to WHY youwould believe a flu hot is mandatory?
alegna's Avatar alegna 11:34 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
That's not true. In all except two states exemptions are very easy to get.

-Angela
Potty Diva's Avatar Potty Diva 11:34 PM 01-22-2007
Oh, and before my child was vaccianted she started kindergarten and had a religious exemption. She also had a religious exemption ofr childcare.
aisraeltax's Avatar aisraeltax 11:38 PM 01-22-2007
all i can say is to start reading, b/c once you do, you start questioning what you have been told your whole life about vaccines.

i would rather my sons not get many things that are caused by vaccines. i am not particularly worried about polio or any other disease that we are currently vaccinated for.

i focus on good nutrition and making sure his immune system is strong.

there are too many reasons to explain why we are taking the route we are but if you are sincerly curious, venture into the vaccination forum, read the archives and ask questions with an open mind. there are many there that can answer your questions.

i suggest looking carefully at the reading list. i currently have 11 books and still feel like i need to read more.

good luck!

rach
Blue Lotus's Avatar Blue Lotus 11:41 PM 01-22-2007
And not every child is going to be in daycare or regular school, either. We are planning on homeshooling/unschooling ours. Although I will probably get an exemption when she is that age anyways, if we move to a place that has fabulous schools. :
huggerwocky's Avatar huggerwocky 11:41 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
When was the last time you saw anyone come down with polio?! :

I'm more affraid of the vaccines and all the crap in them then I am of my DD getting sick.

I personally have a pre 1967 case in the family.
Potty Diva's Avatar Potty Diva 11:44 PM 01-22-2007
hugger~ no one has said polio was completed eradicated before 1967, only that it had started it decling before the vaccines became available. Of courses cases can be found pre '67.
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 11:53 PM 01-22-2007
Moving to the Vaccination Forum. Please be gentle, mamas.
Emilie's Avatar Emilie 12:45 AM 01-23-2007
I am so glad you are looking into this! That is great!
I do not vax my kids because I believe that they are at a higher risk of having a severe adverse reaction to the vaccine than what would occur if they did get an illness the vaccine is supposed to prevent.
There is alot of info out there and I am glad to see you to begin your research! It is hard to sort thru at times but worth it.
Please continue to ask questions and keep learning.
Good for you!
my3peanuts's Avatar my3peanuts 12:55 AM 01-23-2007
Quote:

He does not HAVE to have a flu shot. : I'm not irked at you btw, I'm irked at the doctor that would tell you that!
applejuice's Avatar applejuice 01:06 AM 01-23-2007
In regards to Polio:

Many of those cases in the 1950s were vaccine induced. I am old enough to have had classmates with braces on their legs.

Read The Cutter Incident, by Paul Offit. It is a pro-vaccine book, but it relates the story of two siblings who received the polio vaccine in the early 1950s on the same day from the same physician. The boy was healthy, but his sister developed polio from the vaccine. She is Anne Gottsdanker, now in her mid 50s, a professor of special education and reading at Antelop Valley College in California. Her family sued Cutter Laboratories and used Melvin Belli as their attorney; this is the case that gave him his reputation and set the rules for liability cases to follow.

Eugene Davis, grandson of renowned surgeon Alton Ochsner, died at age two from his polio inoculation.
Mamapits's Avatar Mamapits 01:10 AM 01-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
I am so glad you are looking into this! That is great!
I do not vax my kids because I believe that they are at a higher risk of having a severe adverse reaction to the vaccine than what would occur if they did get an illness the vaccine is supposed to prevent.
There is alot of info out there and I am glad to see you to begin your research! It is hard to sort thru at times but worth it.
Please continue to ask questions and keep learning.
Good for you!
Yes this is one piece for me as well. example - one in a million dies from the chix pox ( children)

1 in every 166 children in this country has autisim

now the question is autism related to vaccines? I can't say for sure.... but I am not a gambler and the odds are pointing to yes - there is a connection
junomama's Avatar junomama 02:37 AM 01-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
I sure do post this a lot, but read this article to see if you get an answer to your question:

http://*********/vaccine/olmsted1.html
StacyL, I know you probably do post that link a lot, but it's the first time I've seen it, so thank you for posting it again, here! I realize that it's anecdotal (even the doctor says that), but it's really eye-opening.

I thought it was interesting that, in addition to the autism comparison, the article also noted this about the Illinois clinic:

Quote:
Schattauer said Homefirst's patients also have significantly less
childhood asthma and juvenile diabetes compared to national rates. An
office manager who has been with Homefirst for 17 years said she is aware
of only one case of severe asthma in an unvaccinated child.
I don't know enough about what studies are out there, but how could anyone at the federal/policy-making level not wonder if vaccines are contributing to these problems and commission studies to find out? I'm sure you all have discussed this at length in other threads ...
Emilie's Avatar Emilie 02:53 AM 01-23-2007
that is a good link.
Potty Diva's Avatar Potty Diva 08:03 AM 01-23-2007
Speaking of autism...
When Kailey was an infant of about 10 months old we discussed the MMR with our pediatrician. He routinely vaxxed children and the other docs in the practice were pro-vax. he was pretty mainstream. Well, when discussing the MMR even HE said that there was far to high of incidences of autism after MMR to get the vaccines. H had no problem with our desire not to have it. He said he has friend who has three grandchildren with autism (varying degrees). This was in Greenville, NC. All were given the MMR on the suggested schedule.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up