florida religious exemption question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will I need a religious exemption for preschool? If so, what are the steps to obtain one?

Thanks!!
#2 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Just go down to your local health department, and ask for vaccination exemption form (it's blue form #681) Should take just a few minutes, you can go by yourself, just make sure you know your dc's social security numbers
#3 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Chi Mama View Post
Just go down to your local health department, and ask for vaccination exemption form (it's blue form #681) Should take just a few minutes, you can go by yourself, just make sure you know your dc's social security numbers
Some Florida DOH offices give parents a hard time and all Florida residents should be prepared just in case - I'll post thread links in here in a sec.

FTR, you do not need their social security numbers in order to obtain a waiver form. SS#'s are optional.
#4 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 AM

Read this thread before you visit a Dept. of Health office: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=florida

VI. Religious Exemption from Immunization (DH 681)

A. Request for Religious Exemption:
1. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681).

2. The DH 681 is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious tenets or practices.

B. Completion of DH 681: The following information must be completed on the DH 681:
1. The child's complete name, date of birth, and parent or guardian’s name. The child’s social security number (SS#) is optional.

2. Parent's (or guardian's) signature and date of signature.

3. County health department stamp, signature of the county health department director/administrator or their authorized designee, and date the form is issued.

C. Retention of Form: The DH 681 will be kept on file at the school, preschool, child care facility, or family day care home in order to facilitate identification of any unimmunized/susceptible children needing exclusion during an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease.

D. Consistency With Florida Law: Requests for religious exemption from immunizations should be consistent with section 232.032, Florida Statutes.

Exemptions for personal or philosophical reasons are not permitted
under Florida law.
#5 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 12:27 AM

thanks, LI, i'm naking and was being a bit lazy with my post

I went the other day, was ready for a fight and they didn't even ask anything.. i was almost disappointed

and yes, the ss# is probably optional, but I went by myself and thought knowing the #s made is easier (since the kids weren't actually with me)
#6 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Chi Mama View Post
I went the other day, was ready for a fight and they didn't even ask anything.. i was almost disappointed

But you went in there armed and ready, which was good! Glad it went smoothly.

I'm hoping our MDC mama's recent complaint caused a mini uproar down there and county offices were given a stern warning.

If you don't mind - in what county are you?
#7 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 01:15 AM

I was armed thanks to this place and probably some of your links!!!

i'm in Pasco.. I called the Hillsborough office because it's closer to me and they gave me this huge run-around and finally told me I had to go to my county's office. So I drove to one of the offices in Pasco. Got there a few minutes before closing... they told me I had to come back another day because I'd have to speak with a nurse, and I was too late that day. I ended up going to an office in Pinellas (downtown St.Pete) because it was close to my work. (so much for having to go to your county's office) It was very simple, they didn't even ask one question. And like I said, I was ready It took me a few years, but I've grown enough of a backbone by now when it comes to this issue. Dd might be going to school in the next few years, and I just wanted to get the exemption out of the way.

so I think it really depends on the office. My sister also went to the downtown St.Pete office without any problems or questions.
#8 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellababy View Post
Will I need a religious exemption for preschool? If so, what are the steps to obtain one?

Thanks!!
Here's FL state law,

K-20 EDUCATION CODE Chapter 1003
PUBLIC K-12 EDUCATION View Entire Chapter

1003.22 School-entry health examinations; immunization against communicable diseases; exemptions; duties of Department of Health.--

(5) The provisions of this section shall not apply if:

(a) The parent of the child objects in writing that the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with his or her religious tenets or practices;

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...earch_String=& URL=Ch1003/SEC22.HTM&Title=->2005->Ch1003->Section 22#1003.22

Here's another part of the law,

(a) No person licensed by this state as a physician or nurse shall be liable for any injury caused by his or her action or failure to act in the administration of a vaccine or other immunizing agent pursuant to the provisions of this section if the person acts as a reasonably prudent person with similar professional training would have acted under the same or similar circumstances.

(b) No member of a school board, or any of its employees, or member of a governing board of a nonpublic school, or any of its employees, shall be liable for any injury caused by the administration of a vaccine to any student who is required to be so immunized or for a failure to diagnose scoliosis pursuant to the provisions of this section.
Here's a link with more info re: religious exemption in Florida, great support site,

http://www.know-vaccines.org/exemptionFAQ.html

HOME PAGE:

http://www.know-vaccines.org/index.html
#9 of 12 Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 PM

what do you go armed with? how long does the exemption last? should i go to that same office? what was your basis for exemption?

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#10 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 AM

from what i've read, just go knowing your rights! the basis of exemption in FL must either be medical or religious. basically, you have the right to a religious exemption and they aren't allowed to question that if you request one. the www.know-vaccines.org has been a WONDERFUL resource so far.

i have been assuming that the exemption lasts forever -- please say that's true as i can't imagine having to redo this every year!

and i'm considering going to that St. Pete office too -- LOL my mother lives in Clearwater and we just might make the trip over the summer!

busy mama to four
: : : :
#11 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 03:26 PM

I was told that the exemptions last from prek thru 12th grade. They indicated that it can be used for some of universities in the State, but we would have to deal with some of them on an individual basis. Not sure how that will work...but I have some time to think about it since my kids are only 3 and 4yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerin View Post
from what i've read, just go knowing your rights! the basis of exemption in FL must either be medical or religious. basically, you have the right to a religious exemption and they aren't allowed to question that if you request one. the www.know-vaccines.org has been a WONDERFUL resource so far.

i have been assuming that the exemption lasts forever -- please say that's true as i can't imagine having to redo this every year!

and i'm considering going to that St. Pete office too -- LOL my mother lives in Clearwater and we just might make the trip over the summer!
#12 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 AM

Our exemption is religious, based on vaccines conflict with our religious beliefs.

The exemptions don't expire. My now 12 yr old has had his exemption on file since Kindergarten and he's now in the 6th grade.

My now 8 yr old is in 2nd grade, same as my 12 yr old, his exemption was submitted with his initial school enrollment package.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page