for those non vaxed or selectively vaxed kids, how do you handle Emergency Rooms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went to a vaccination awareness seminar hosted by an anti vax dr.

My dd has had her vaxes up to her 9 month mark and then no more. She is 14months old. One of my questons at this seminar was how to handle emergency trips. I know one of the first things they ask you is if your child is up to date on their immunizations. The dr hosting this seminar suggested that you not answer and say "oh my family dr handles all that, you'll have to call him" and proceed to give his info. He also said that if you say your child is unvaxed or that you dont vax for religious reasons, social services will be called and your child could be taken away.

This is the old cliche that I have heard a zillion times and it terrifies me! My dh is already on the fence about the whole non vax issue, mostly b/c he doesnt want to 'get into trouble' because of it.

So I would like to know how some of you other mamas handle it? I know sometimes ERs are inevitable. Could be high fever, could be a broken arm, who knows! But I think to say that my child will never be in the ER in her whole life is a bit of an optomistic stretch. I dont want to outright lie and say yes she is up to date when she is in fact not. I am concerned that will cause even more problems with potential social services b/c I am not being honest.

Any advise on how to handle somethig like this would be much appreciated. TIA!

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#2 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 09:23 PM

I just look them in the eye and say " We do not vaccinate. Nor do we plan on starting." Sometimes I get the run around to which I usually reply with something like this.. " There is nothing you say that will change my mind, I am not here to discuss my child vax status but rather to address the fact that he has a crochet needle impaled in his hand. I am well educated on vaccines and will you please make sure to propery irrigate and wash the wound prior to stiching it up?" (true story DS some how managed to land on my knitting bag and got a crochet hook rammed into his hand and no we did not get a tetnus shot and he is fine )

I also make them explain everythigng they are doing, every injection they give him I request to look at the bottle and inserts before they inject (even for lidocain)
#3 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 09:26 PM

we've been to the ER twice...once with each child, once with a vaccine preventable disease....the other just 2 days ago with a bad laceration. We told them each time 'we don't vaccinate' and any 'why's' were explained firmly and briefly 'we have an exemption' and I always bring the papers (signed, notarized copies of the law and the legal exemption) but I was never asked to produce them.

nobody has taken my children away or even caused us any of trouble...I did get in a slight arguement once (the first time) and stated to the doc 'if you can't treat a normally functioning immune system, I better go and take her elsewhere'. I was quite flustered, but he was understanding and didnt give me any more debates.
#4 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 PM

I have never been to the ER for my kid but we went to urgent care recently and no one asked us. I think the typical one in the ER is the tetanus vax which I would say she has had one in the last 10 years because she had one as a baby. Not sure what I would say when she is 11. I think I would be tempted to point out that vaccinating an already wounded person won't do any good but I think it boils down to jab them while they are in so I would probably just say we aren't interested. I don't know - good question.

They gave DH one when he was bitten by our python and he said why would a python give me tetanus and the doc's reply was you know they don't brush their teeth. I didn't think you could get tetanus from a python bite but who knows
#5 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 PM

We had to go once and they never even asked, I did offer the info though and they were fine/nice/normal. If you don't act scared (be confident), I don't think you'll have any problems.
#6 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM

:
#7 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for sharing yoru stories. I was just thinking I would say something along the lines of vaccination being against my religious beliefs, just because of the religious waiver and it having to be respected. Of course I get terrified when people start telling me social services will be called... I hope it wont be an issue!

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#8 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 PM

Funny thing you ask...we went to the ER with my youngest a month or so ago and the charge nurse asked a litany of questions. One of them was "is his vaccinations up to date?" I said simply, "no". She paused, looked up, smiled, and without skipping a beat she went on to the next question. I interpreted her facial expression as positive, as in good for you.

DC
#9 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 PM

I've never had an issue at an ER about vaccinations. I simply say that we don't vaccinate and I don't invite any kind of discussion about it. Non-vaccination is 100% legal and not considered child abuse. I find it strange that an anti-vax Dr. would be spreading fear about the issue.

I really think doctors can smell fear be confident and like a rock on the issue and you shouldn't run into any issues. Just remember:

Don't offer any reasons because it's none of their business. If you give them reasons or facts or statistics etc. they will have ammunition to argue against you. If they demand reasons tell them that it is a personal medical decision and you will not discuss it.

Don't allow them to give you reasons to vaccinate. If they try to convince you or talk to you about it simply interrupt them and tell them "I am comfortable with my medical decisions and I'm not willing to have a discussion about this"

If you give them nothing to argue about they can't argue about it.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#10 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 PM

We took dd to the emergency room in the summer, and they never asked us about vaccinations.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#11 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 PM

We've also never had an issue with ERs. My DD2 is completely unvaxed and has been to the ER 11 times in her short life. They'll ask me 'are her vaxes up to date' I say no and that's the end
#12 of 32 Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 PM

If you are worried, you could simply say "she is all up to date" since that is what she is. Up to date as far as you are concerned.

Let someone ask me, I will tell them "never mind and please get on with what we are here for". I would love for someone to ask me. Providing it is a broken arm or a laceration. LOL

But then I would never take a child into the ER for high fever or any illness anyway. No way!
#13 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 AM

I tell them they're not vaxed and that its an informed decision. Informed seems to be the buzzword here (or maybe I'm scary?), cause they back off.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#14 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 AM

My youngest Joshua has been a frequent flyer at the children's hospital and various other ER's because of his lung issues. I get asked almost everytime if his shots are up to date; I simply state " no- he's exempt" When they ask why (which they have every single time) I tell them matter of fact and with confidence " We have a state exemption and he will not be vaccinated". That usually shuts them up. I have only had one doctor press me on the issue and he just wanted to know why he was exempted and I told him we had a history of severe vaccine reactions in his siblings and he will not be vaccinated. I told him I did not wish to discuss it further as that was not why we were there. He did not question us again. Never had any issues with it.

Kellina~ Wife & Christian SAHomeschooling Mama-to 8 GREAT children!   

brokenheart.gif *Missing my 6 m/c babies in the arms of Jesus* brokenheart.gif

#15 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 12:19 AM

This happened to us for the first time last year. Ds had nasty fall off bike needed quite few stitches on his chin, totally bust open, poor guy. I got so hassled on the phone about vaxing, I'd phoned nhs 24 to tell em we were on way. The stitcher upper was really mean to me, the evil looks were just frightening. He tried to insist on the tetanus but luckily for us the uk had run really low on tetanus stocks as I was actually caving in at one point and they were taking ages to help my ds out, really mucking around. I wrote down the names of the stuff they injected cos I didn't trust him, looked them up online and found MDC( yah) I've been learning loads about vaxes, diseases and all and so much more. After 14 years of childrearing and 3 nonvaxed dc I should have known better. This guy totally rejected my choice to not vax, I was scared he was going to cause a stink, call cps whatever. The cut had bled loads and so had cleaned itself well but all he could go on about was my ds had fallen on the ground. He would hardly look at me and just talked to my ds like I wasn't there, it was horrible.
#16 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post

They gave DH one when he was bitten by our python and he said why would a python give me tetanus and the doc's reply was you know they don't brush their teeth. I didn't think you could get tetanus from a python bite but who knows
Not unless you've been feeding him horse manure:.
I went to my GP to get some teeth removed from my hand about a month after I was bitten by my Burmese...he never even asked about tetanus. When I was bitten by the sidewinder and went to the ER I think they were more worried about what kind of toxins they were dealing with to even think about tetanus.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#17 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
I've never had an issue at an ER about vaccinations. I simply say that we don't vaccinate and I don't invite any kind of discussion about it. Non-vaccination is 100% legal and not considered child abuse. I find it strange that an anti-vax Dr. would be spreading fear about the issue.

I really think doctors can smell fear be confident and like a rock on the issue and you shouldn't run into any issues. Just remember:

Don't offer any reasons because it's none of their business. If you give them reasons or facts or statistics etc. they will have ammunition to argue against you. If they demand reasons tell them that it is a personal medical decision and you will not discuss it.

Don't allow them to give you reasons to vaccinate. If they try to convince you or talk to you about it simply interrupt them and tell them "I am comfortable with my medical decisions and I'm not willing to have a discussion about this"

If you give them nothing to argue about they can't argue about it.

Laura
I love this, I need to remember it!

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#18 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We had our first ever trip to the ER with ds (age 7 at the time) last year after he impaled his armpit on the iron screen that is in front of our wood burning stove (long story that involves standing on a skateboard for the first time and a wall and the fact that these things DO roll when you stand on them while leaning against the wall...).

Anyway, he was impaled and when we removed him, he had sliced a lovely large filet out of his armpit. Only one small drop of blood, but plenty of fatty tissue showing under the large flap of skin.

Off to the ER...

We live outside a small town and the ER was empty that night (around 9:00 pm on a sub-zero Sunday in January).

No questions on his admittance about vaccinations. I was really surprised. After we'd been there for 20 minutes, the doctor said he would certainly need stitches (hmmm, I knew that!). A lot of stitches. They recommended sedating him as the local would be pretty painful and it would be easier on ds. We explained this to ds and he said, "Bring on the sleepy medicine!"

The doctor asked if ds was up-to-date on his immunizations and we said, "No, he hasn't had a vaccine since he was 7 months old. He nearly died, while in the doctor's office, within 30 seconds of receiving 6 different vaccinations. We stopped after that." Big eyes on the doctor : upon hearing this and he agreed with our decision.

The nurse asked the same thing a few minutes later. Same reply from me. Same reaction from him : .

When the anesthesiologist arrived, he asked about allergies and I told him about ds vaccine reaction. Yup, : with him, too!

NOBODY gave us any type of guff about it. They were really nice and didn't question or push anything.

Oh, and ds came through all of it just fine and had 23 external stitches to show-off for 10 days to anyone who asked why he was wearing a sling!!

Our small hospital rocks!

Our doctor agrees with our no-vax decision, too (even if ds had not had a reaction!)
#19 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 AM

We've been to the ER... 3 or 4 times? Each time they've asked, each time I've told them the truth- we're not vaxing right now. I think once they asked why and I just told them I was in the middle of researching it and until I had concluded my research, he wouldn't be getting any. They didn't have any issues (that they stated) with it.
#20 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 09:52 AM

we've been the the ER three times and have said "religious exemption" all three times with no problem at all.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#21 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 11:26 AM

We've been to the ER twice. When asked if their all up to date on 'immunisations' I just say "No" and leave it at that. I've gotten no hassle, but definitely strange looks. I don't offer explainations and most people are taken by surprise by that.

We had a recent trip to our DO's office for a finger slammed in the door incident that resulted in the loss of a fingernail and some stitches. They urged me to consider the tetanus and the immune globulin and I declined. I just had to sign the waiver that I have agreed to go against their medical advice. I understand they need to cover their butts for insurance purposes. I'm comfortable with my decision, so I am really non-confrontational. I was a tiny bit offended by the 3 pages of 'information' they gave me on tetanus....but I have to understand they don't know I have VOLUMES of information and have been taking vaccine classes for 3+ years. They know I'm informed, but I don't think they understand the full extent of my informed decision....which is fine because we have a good relationship overall.
#22 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM

We had our first ER visit with my now 6 yr old daughter last year because she was wrestling around with her cousin and got milkmaids elbow, and they needed to manuever the tendon back around the bone.

They asked if her vaccinations were up to date, and I just said yes. What a wussy I am.
#23 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 AM

I guess we have been lucky- three kids no ER trips-
If I had to I would simply say- no we choose not to vax our children
I would tell a prying nurse or doc that I do not need to defend my personal choice. If they wanted to discuss it w/o judgement. I would take the opportunity to educate..
#24 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 12:11 PM

I have been confronted with this issue when taking my DS twice to the ER. He has never been vaxed.

When asked the question I answer honestly and say, "No, he has not been vaccinated and I am not interested in hearing anything about it"

That usually stops them from giving me the schpeel.

I have never had a problem.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#25 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM

Once I took ds in to immediate care when he was really small - his ped 'couldn't see him' for two more days (needless to say, we switched) - but my mommy instincts were screaming at me that something was seriously Wrong. Anyway, I did say he wasn't vaxed when they asked, because I didn't want them to assume it couldn't be meningitis or something. Not that vaxed kids don't get it, because they do, but I was afraid they'd be less thorough.

But I've also taken dd for her shoulder getting dislocated, and when they asked, I said she was up to date, because clearly, it had nothing to do with why she was there.

As much as possible, though, I try to stay in touch with our ped. and avoid the places like the PLAGUE now. Our last experience (the one w/ ds) was horrific, though not because of vax.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#26 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They've never even asked at my local ER when I had to take my kids in. They wanted my insurance information and details on the onset of the injury/illness that brought me there.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#27 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 01:30 PM

I took ds to the ER recently. The intake person asked if he was up-to-date on his vaccinations, I told her we don't vaccinate, and that was the end of it. She didn't ask why or lecture me, and neither did any of the docs we saw.
#28 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 PM

I have taken my oldest to the ER 3 times thought that last 2 where 2 different hospitals for the same thing.

The first 2 times when asked while filling out paperwork I stated religious exemption. the second time it took the nurse back, she was a bit shocked The third time the had all the paper work from the second time and nothing was said.

If they said anything to me I was prepared to tell them that we where here for xyz, not vaccines. End of subject.

I must have had an air about me though because everybody wanted to know what I wanted for dd here where the choices. Nobody messed with us. Which is amazing as the third time I didn't have dh with us. Dh is a large man, nobody bothers us when hes around
#29 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 PM

It's on our triage sheet, so I'm required to ask parents if they are up to date. I never pry though.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#30 of 32 Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 PM

I've taken James to the ER twice for injuries.

Both times I've said "We do not vacciante for religious reasons." both times they said Okay and moved on. Didn't even try to lecture me on the tetnus vaccine. Offered it off course, but said "Okay, no problem." when I said no.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page