3 MN Flu deaths - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They were vaccinated, just not with the flu.
There is a thread already about the use of FluMist here in MN and the high rates of mutation.
There has been a lot of unexplained respiratory distress issues since they have started using the FluMist.

My thoughts, I think the flumist has been shedding a mutated virus that has been causing respiratory distress and that is why doctors are not finding anything with the swabs.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Old 02-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
When you were a kid, did you ever worry about dying from the flu? Or know a friend who died from the flu? Did your parents worry about you dying from the flu?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post

Oh, Sorry mamaintheboonies, I guess this is a repeat of stuff that you've gone over.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

And yeah, I meant vaccinated with the flu. Sorry I was unclear.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Oh, Sorry mamaintheboonies, I guess this is a repeat of stuff that you've gone over.
NP.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

Take a few deep breaths and ask yourself "What increased risks?" It's almost the middle of Feb., the height of flu season is pretty much done (it ends around Marchish). So.....you get a vax that may or may not work to protect for another month, maybe two. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:03 PM

AND,

Were they breastfeed?

Mary
Old 02-08-2007, 11:35 PM

Well, in answer to your question, it is a little late for a flu shot now. My son had serious complications from the flu when he got it at one year old HOWEVER, I think that is because I waited too long to seek medical attention when he began to run a very high fever and stopped nursing. I didn't realize how fast little bodies can really dehydrate, but now I know better.

My advice would be to forget the flu shot, and just be sure if your dc gets the flu that you monitor fever/fluid intake religiously, and go into the ER the minute you notice your child's fever overtaking their ability to stay hydrated. Go in immediately, right away, because it takes a while to get admitted, checked out, hooked up to the IV's, etc. Sometimes even the best mothering in the world cannot sufficiently hydrate an infant with unrelenting fever/vomiting/diarrhea. I am thinking it's not really the flu that kills those few kids every year, but the dehydration issues that come with it.

Hopefully your kids won't get the flu at all!!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Old 02-09-2007, 04:01 PM

I have been a bit out of the loop on the 3 Minnesota deaths. Can someone clarify for me what the kids actually died from? Was it dehydration? Was it due to not seeking medical care soon enough? I only caught a snipit of the story on the evening news last night and they are so focused on scaring people that I wasn't sure what the real story was.

I gotta say this is making me nervous. We are very active out in the germy world and despite trying to do all the healthy things we are suppose to do (eg taking CLO, still BFing my 27 month old, handwashing, etc.) we seem to catch pretty much everything that goes around. I realize it is late in the season, however we aren't through it yet.

Plus I am sure my MIL will be calling this evening. She fears for our son's life cuz he isn't vaxed and now this will add more fuel to her fire. : Normally we throw the facts at her and she leaves us alone however actual deaths this close to home are a hard thing to argue against.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:36 PM

This is all I can find about it so far saying anything other then they died.

http://crookstontimes.com/articles/2...ws/26news3.txt

Quote:
According to the MDH, the boy started feeling ill Jan. 24 and went to the hospital two days later. After his death Wednesday morning, his school sent letters home with his classmates explaining that he had died and telling parents what precautions to take against the flu.

"Deaths from influenza are uncommon among children both with and without high-risk conditions, but they do occur," Ehresmann said.
Looked in my local paper and sounds like they are using this as a way to advertise the flu shot. I'd better run out and vaccinate everyone in my family cause they said so. (sarcasm) That's ok we survived the flu every other year and never got the flu shot.

Quote:
Mueller said the influenza in Crow Wing County is widespread right now and typically February is the peak of flu season. The good news, she said, is that the two strains of influenza circulating right now are the same strains that people may become vaccinated against by getting a flu shot. It's not too late to get a flu shot, she said.
http://www.brainerddispatch.com/stor...70209040.shtml
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM

They are blaming it on the fact that they didn't get vaccinated for the flu

Quote:
It's just maybe a matter of bad luck that we happen to have three of the 13 deaths to date in the United States," commented Deputy State Epidemiologist Richard Danila.

It would seem the ultimate bad luck and yet, there is the fact that as Danila points out, "None of these children were vaccinated." That is particularly tragic since the H1 influenza virus that led to each child's untimely death was included in the recipe for this year's flu vaccine.
http://www.kare11.com/news/ts_articl...storyid=243179

That's just sad the parents are suffering the loss of a child now they
are pretty much getting blamed for the deaths because they didn't get
them the flu shot.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMommy View Post
They are blaming it on the fact that they didn't get vaccinated for the flu

http://www.kare11.com/news/ts_articl...storyid=243179

That's just sad the parents are suffering the loss of a child now they
are pretty much getting blamed for the deaths because they didn't get
them the flu shot.
How disgusting! Are parents blamed when their kid dies of a vaccine reaction even though they made the decision to vaccinate?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:02 PM

OK, I don't get it. Why did the kids die? Were they dehydrated, bombarded with unnecessary meds or what? I did not give my kids the flu shot and I am afraid my MIL is going to have a cow when she hears about this. She was harassing me in the fall to get it done. What do I tell her if she asks me? I heard that they make the flu shots from last year's strain of flu, and it's not even effective for this year due to mutations. But with these kids that died, they say the strain matches the one in this year's vaccine. What is the deal?
I was disgusted watching the news last night hearing them tell only that 3 kids died from the flu and were not vaccinated against it, so go get your flu shot. Talk about scaring people. :

Jade : -Writing, vegan mom of Garrett, Drew, and Grace. Into feeling:
Old 02-09-2007, 09:08 PM

I have been getting phone calls from family because we don't vax.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 PM

I'm sure most fearful parents don't read this far down into the story, but at least today's Star Tribune article included this info:

Quote:
State officials insisted that there is no evidence that the flu virus is more dangerous this year than usual.

But it has been more widespread in Minnesota, with flu cases spiking dramatically in the past few weeks, especially at schools, officials said.
and further down:

Quote:
Flu-related deaths among children are extremely rare. Nationwide, an estimated 40 children a year die from influenza complications.

So far this year, 13 children have died of the flu, including the three in Minnesota, the Health Department said.

"Three of the 13 in Minnesota, that seems unusual but we think it's just the bad luck of the draw, a statistical fluke," Richard Danila, the deputy state epidemiologist, told the Associated Press. "There's nothing unusual about the children. They didn't know each other. There's no [link], nothing unusual about the virus."
Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 PM

They use every little tactic to scare people. It seems like making money off of other peoples sadness to me. s to the parents of the children who died. I can't imagine how horrible it must feel to have lost your children and then have it spread all over the news as a reason to vaccinate.

I've had the flu maybe 2-3 times my whole life, and my kids have never gotten it. Not worried. Good nutrition, hydration, etc...

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
When you were a kid, did you ever worry about dying from the flu? Or know a friend who died from the flu? Did your parents worry about you dying from the flu?

Never. Pediatric influenza deaths didn't make the news like it does now. Deaths happened, of course, but the deaths never needed to be "advertised" . . . and we know the reason why.

The flu shot seeking frenzy in MN has begun: http://www.startribune.com/1244/story/992371.html
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Does anyone have suggestions for what to say to my MIL? My partner is anticipating her call at any time and she gets a little tongue-tied when it comes to talking to her mom about the whole vaccination thing. What are you all saying to your families?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for what to say to my MIL? My partner is anticipating her call at any time and she gets a little tongue-tied when it comes to talking to her mom about the whole vaccination thing. What are you all saying to your families?
Nip all the "vax talk" in the bud now. Tell MIL that if SHE feels like consuming herself with worry - by all means - but that you're both not concerned with influenza and you really don't want to discuss it again. If she persists, cut the call short.

Repeat as necessary . . . for all diseases.

She'll eventually get the hint.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikeaGuinea View Post
Sometimes even the best mothering in the world cannot sufficiently hydrate an infant with unrelenting fever/vomiting/diarrhea.
I didn't know you could get vomiting and diarrhea from the flu. There is nothing I hate more than throwing up!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

Vax's have never come up in discussion with either family yet. Never has, even with my oldest. Oh....there was the bit of talk on Wed with MIL and FIL about how worthless the flu vax is (they live in WI but are visiting us here in CA). Neither one sees any point in getting it and FIL's eyebrows rose when I mentioned the adult version has mercury in it still. Don't think I have anything to worry about on that front thank goodness. If you're catching grief from the family, pass some bean dip. Heck, they might get gas and be so busy with that they'll forget to harass you. :
Old 02-09-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Heck, they might get gas and be so busy with that they'll forget to harass you. :

You could also turn the tables on them.

JRose, I see your little guy's name is Gus.

I did it for Gus thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=sophia
Old 02-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
Never. Pediatric influenza deaths didn't make the news like it does now. Deaths happened, of course, but the deaths never needed to be "advertised" . . . and we know the reason why.

The flu shot seeking frenzy in MN has begun: http://www.startribune.com/1244/story/992371.html
Oh boy, I'd better run out and get some before it's all gone. They are milking this up just like the polio case. I'm not even watching the news anymore, bleh.

And we never would have heard a peep if they had been vaccinated. Profit off of sadness, sickening.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 02-10-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
I didn't know you could get vomiting and diarrhea from the flu. There is nothing I hate more than throwing up!
You don't, that's gastroenteritus, commonly misnomered 'stomach flu'. Nothing to do with it.

You'll get hella diarrhea from taking a z-pac for pneumonia as a complication of flu though , I can speak from VERY recent experience. (The kids didn't catch my flu until days after I'd caught it, & as opposed to my rather crappy experience they had one day of 103 fevers & were running around like normal the next day.) The zithromax DOES seem to have finally killed off this hideous pneumonia though, it's quite a relief.

A week of diarrhea for me (& I've loaded myself with kefir & am already back to normal that way) was worth it to get rid of pneumonia. No way do I regret not getting a flu shot. This was better. My kids' immune systems will just be stronger next flu season (it's their first flu. I'd worry if they weren't exposed to it enough to get slightly sick every now & again. I WANT them to have antibodies- real, effective antibodies.)
Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123 View Post
Oh boy, I'd better run out and get some before it's all gone. They are milking this up just like the polio case. I'm not even watching the news anymore, bleh.

And we never would have heard a peep if they had been vaccinated. Profit off of sadness, sickening.
Or if there was a shortage of the flu vax this year.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
One of the children was 8 years old. The vaccines are recommended for children 6 months to 5 years. The parents in that particular case were just going with the guidelines, so there is no reason for people to be making a point out of the fact that the child was not vaccinated against flu.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
One of the children was 8 years old. The vaccines are recommended for children 6 months to 5 years. The parents in that particular case were just going with the guidelines, so there is no reason for people to be making a point out of the fact that the child was not vaccinated against flu.
They're preparing to expand the recommendations to include everyone in the US. Next year's "slogan" (I'm not making this up...this is what they were saying at the influenza summit meeting this summer) will be "Everyone get vaccinated!"
Short, concise, and to the point. And their challenge is "communicating" to people how deadly influenza is in every age group.

User Tag List