Flu vaccine "may be safe and effective in children" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-16-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...8244&src=nldne
In previously unvaccinated children, wheezing within 42 days after the administration of dose 1 was more common with live attenuated vaccine than with inactivated vaccine, primarily in children 6 to 11 months of age. In this age group, there were 12 more episodes of wheezing within 42 days after receipt of dose 1 in recipients of live attenuated vaccine (3.8%) than in recipients of inactivated vaccine (2.1%; P = .076).

During the 180 days after vaccination, rates of hospitalization for any cause were higher in the recipients of live attenuated vaccine who were 6 to 11 months of age (6.1%) than in the recipients of inactivated vaccine in this age group (2.6%; P = .002).

"Until additional data are available, the observations related to medically significant wheezing and rates of hospitalization will restrict the use of live attenuated vaccine in children younger than 1 year and in children 12 to 47 months of age who have a history of asthma or wheezing," the authors conclude.
Sooooo, kids are 3 times as likely to be hospitalized after attenuated flu vaccine than the control group (kids receiving the inactivated vaccine), and twice as likely to suffer 12 or more wheezing episodes. Yet, the conclusions of the editors of Medscape are that the vaccine "may be safe...in children"??

I'm also remembering dd's doc vehemently arguing with me about my decision not to give her flu vax, on the grounds that 'kids with asthma are the ones who really need it to protect her from pulmonary problems associated with the flu!!'

Turns out kids with asthma are the ones most likely to suffer adverse respiratory problems, now that they actually bothered to conduct a safety trial .
#2 of 7 Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 PM

Was your dd's doc wanting you to give her flumist?

The CDC did a rush-study on influenza vaccine safety in kids right after "Policy vs. Evidence". They monitored a few ERs around the time that a lot of kids were getting fluvaxed, and didn't see an increase in kids dying or being admitted from vaccine complications, and concluded that flu vaxes are safe in kids.

I love the CDC.
#3 of 7 Old 02-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

The CDC and FDA are funded by "Big pharma" and lobbyists. Writers for medical journals are also paid under the table by Big pharma.

There you have it.
www.healthtruthrevealed.com
www.mercola.com
Lots about the CDC and FDA corruption

Tyler
#4 of 7 Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
I'm also remembering dd's doc vehemently arguing with me about my decision not to give her flu vax, on the grounds that 'kids with asthma are the ones who really need it to protect her from pulmonary problems associated with the flu!!'
Yep. But just a few years ago they said to absolutely NOT give the flu vax to anyone with asthma.

Crazy stuff.

-Angela
#5 of 7 Old 02-16-2007, 07:53 PM

I just read the about the same study, but as a cnn health article:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/02/15...eut/index.html

Looks like they got something wrong:
Youngsters who had a history of wheezing before receiving the shots were excluded from the test.

Medscape stated this:
Children with mild or moderate asthma or a history of wheezing more than 42 days before were included.

Also, the CNN article mentioned SIDE EFFECTS of the shot...but I thought there were none
But old-fashioned shots, which use killed virus particles, provide less protection to children under 5 than to adults, and may cause more side effects.

A quick question. The both articles mentioned this:
There was a significant reduction in acute otitis media and lower respiratory tract infection in the live group

Why is that? (like, what is the mechanism?)

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#6 of 7 Old 02-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
A quick question. The both articles mentioned this:
There was a significant reduction in acute otitis media and lower respiratory tract infection in the live group

Why is that? (like, what is the mechanism?)
A lot of times bacterial ear infections and respiratory infections come after viral infections (from, I think, all the snot making it cozy for bacteria to multiply in addition to your immune system being down)...so if Flumist prevents the flu, then the flumisted kids wouldn't be as prone to get the secondary bacterial infections.
#7 of 7 Old 02-17-2007, 10:17 AM

Oooooooooooooo, Thanks

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page