unvaxed in NY and preschool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been looking for info on exemptions from vaccinations for private preschools in NYC. I thought I'd seen this on here before, but can't find it now. Anybody have the link or just the info?

DS is currently in a private preschool that doesn't require vaccinations, just a health form from doc. They say it's because they're licensed as a daycare that they don't have to require vax. Thay say that if they were a preschool, they'd have to require the full vaccination schedule.

Unfortunately, we don't like the preschool and are looking for another. If a preschool says the DOH requires that all kids attending be fully vaxed, is this true? Or does the preschool have the ability to grant a religious exemption? I haven't brought the question up at any of the schools we've visited because I wanted to know my rights and the law before asking the question.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In NY, if it is a licensed daycare they either need to be up to date with their vaxes or have a religious exemption. Sorry no link...just experience

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 03-04-2007, 11:03 PM

Even legally exempt childcare providers must get an immunization or an exemption: http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/bec...afety_regs.asp

FTR, all licensed daycares and preschools in NY must follow the NYS daycare licensing regulations.

http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/becs/daycare_regs.asp
Old 03-06-2007, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

thanks LI. I looked at the links. But it's still not clear to me. Are daycares required to consider a religious exemption and is there any recourse if they turn it down? And what about preschools?

If they say to me your child has to be fully vaxed, no exemptions possible, are they within the law?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:56 AM

FWIW, private schools are a lot easier to send a non vaxed kid to.
Many celebs in NYC do not vax.
They send their kids off to private school and avoid the issue of the DOE requirements.

I went up against the DOE and my exemption was accepted.
Please google Gary Krasner and find his contact info. He has a great info that will help you.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for links and info everyone. I've been reading some links and we've decided on some preschools to apply to. Some of them actually mention vaccine record or letter of religious exemption on their websites

But some don't...

I'll be back here for more info/advice depending on what happens.

Thanks.

Oh, and is it true that no NY doc will sign a medical exemption for all vaccinations because they fear for their licenses - even the few who think vaccines are not healthy?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momster View Post
Oh, and is it true that no NY doc will sign a medical exemption for all vaccinations because they fear for their licenses - even the few who think vaccines are not healthy?
Even if all the vaccines required were medically contraindicated (which would be a long shot), a medical exemption can still be challenged on an annual basis AND you would still have to contend with the additional vaccines which will be added to the list.

A medical exemption is not the ways to go - in any state - if you're a nonvaxer.

User Tag List