When you see moms w/babes outside "that room" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to take my dd, 13, to the dr for an updated perscription. As we were waiting several moms were either signing forms, obliviously, or comforting youg babes who had just had thier vaxes outside 'that room". My heart truthfully ached! I just wanted to scream, "Don't do it!" I really hurt for these babies. Then I saw the nurse that administers them, and, I really see her as the " evil one". When we went in to my dd appt, the dr mentioned that she "needed" the meningitis shot to keep up to date. My daughter just laughed and the dr said, you don't have to do it today, whispering to myself - "not ever." MmHmm
I say. ANyway, wondering if anyone else gets those feelings...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned

I made free business cards from vistaprint that let parents know they have options and a few facts about vaccines. I pass those cards out to all new mothers (yeah, I'm a freak, but if I've saved one child, it's totally worth the weird looks) and leave them all over creation.

Pic of card.
#3 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 AM

very cool CherieBerry!
#4 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Thanks!
#5 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 AM

I hate taking DD to the pedi for this very reason - they only have 1 room for weighing infants and so we always end waiting outside it while someone else gets there shots.

It scares the heck out of DD - everytime she looks up at me like "mama - why is that kids mom LETTING them do this?"
#6 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Yeah, we so rarely go to the ped's but I hate it. Never fails, there's always some kid screaming hysterically in a room; and the receptionist makes "the poor baby" face and sighs, "Oh, they hate those shots - but they NEED 'em."

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#7 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Eh - not my place to judge. Most moms feel they are doing what's best for their children by vaccinating them. WHile I do feel that vaccinations are not right for my son, I also don't feel that they are necessarily a recipe for disaster for all kids. If DS didn't have a 5 hour screamfest following the DTaP, I would be one of those moms too. And a lot of moms do know they have a choice in vaccinating (of course not the majority) but choose to do them anyway because they feel the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm sorry but I just can't subscribe to the theory that all vaxing moms are uninformed. Lots of provaxers do their research and believe vaccines are beneficial for their children.

As far as I am concerned, as long as my rights to not vaccinate my son are protected and respected, other moms can do what they wish with regard to vaccines.
#8 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

I don't blame the moms (or Dads) at all. I just hate to hear that scream. As far as when I stated they were obliviously signing the papers, not one Mom, that I saw read it, that is not to say they haven't read it before.I guess there I may have been judging. I was that mom - 13 years ago. I did EVERYTHING a dr told me. And maybe I lived under a rock and all my friends I know now are still dwelling there, but no one I know has done their own research on vaccines. I wish I had a parent likeminded in my circle, but I do not. I just wanted to clarify - I do beleive most are doing what they believe is best. Most Moms (and, again Dads) are good who adore their babes.
#9 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We never have to hear anything like that!

Our doctor does not "do" vaccinations, he has his own private practice. If people want them, he'll write an RX for them to go to the regular clinic or health department. He is not a believer in vaccines.

Yes, we're so lucky to have him!!! And, even better, whenever the time comes for him to retire (he loves what he does, so I don't see that happening!), his daughter is in practice with him and feels the same way!
#10 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, as long as my rights to not vaccinate my son are protected and respected, other moms can do what they wish with regard to vaccines.
I agree with this so much. Although when it comes to trying to "practice" this, I fail miserably I think MANY people do not know that A) They have a choice and B) there is inherent danger that comes with vaccinating. I just wish that the whole truth was on the table when it comes time to make the decision to vax or not ~ I know my ped (at the time) did not tell me ONE thing about vax, good OR bad. Really sad state of affairs in the health of our children, IMO.

peace~

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#11 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 04:36 PM

I won't judge other mamas for their choices, but I have to say ... when I brought DS in for his 6-month visit last week knowing I was not going to get him any shots, and when I heard the screaming coming from behind those doors, it felt so good to hold him next to me and whisper that no one was going to hurt him today. I felt like a very protective mama bear. Of course, if the pain of shots were the only problem I had with vaccinations, it wouldn't be a reason for me to forego them. But it did feel good to know he wasn't going to be screaming. (Turns out he cried anyway, though, because he didn't like getting stripped down for the stethoscope ... )
#12 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun View Post
I just wish that the whole truth was on the table when it comes time to make the decision to vax or not ~ I know my ped (at the time) did not tell me ONE thing about vax, good OR bad. Really sad state of affairs in the health of our children, IMO.
I do agree with that. We didn't get the mandatory vaccine information that doctors are required to give parents before vaccinations until after his 4-month shots, and only then because we persisted in asking for it. (And it was just the VIS info sheets from the CDC.)
#13 of 21 Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 PM

I had to go to my Ob/gyn today, and when you walk into the hospital to get to the ob/gyn clinic here you pass by the immunization section. I felt so bad when I walked passed there. I just remembered getting a flu shot a couple months ago and another vax a couple years ago. If I had any doubts before about not vaxing my son when he's born they all went away today. I felt so guilty just walking passed that area. And I felt really bad for everyone who didn't realize what was going into their bodies. I mean, if someone wants to vax, that's their choice and I respect that. But I don't think it's fair that they don't realize it's a choice and have any info about it other than "you'll die if you don't do this".

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#14 of 21 Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 PM

The rare times when we go to the doctor, we see a family doctor rather than a ped. So not a lot of kids/immunizations going on there.
#15 of 21 Old 03-08-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflcpw View Post
I had to take my dd, 13, to the dr for an updated perscription. As we were waiting several moms were either signing forms, obliviously, or comforting youg babes who had just had thier vaxes outside 'that room". My heart truthfully ached! I just wanted to scream, "Don't do it!" I really hurt for these babies. Then I saw the nurse that administers them, and, I really see her as the " evil one". When we went in to my dd appt, the dr mentioned that she "needed" the meningitis shot to keep up to date. My daughter just laughed and the dr said, you don't have to do it today, whispering to myself - "not ever." MmHmm
I say. ANyway, wondering if anyone else gets those feelings...........
I would be so upset (I wouldn't say anything as we all have the right to make our own parenting choices) but I would be sad, I hate hearing kids cry.

I get all Mama bear with T in situations like that...

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#16 of 21 Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherieBerry View Post
I made free business cards from vistaprint that let parents know they have options and a few facts about vaccines. I pass those cards out to all new mothers (yeah, I'm a freak, but if I've saved one child, it's totally worth the weird looks) and leave them all over creation.

Pic of card.
\

Oh I can only imagine the looks you get.

Good for you though!!! That is awesome.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#17 of 21 Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 PM

I remember taking my dd to see a Speech Pathologist at our local Health Ctr. ALL they had in the waiting room were babies and kids getting their shots.
I guess most of them were making informed choices , although I somehow doubt they'd feel so *informed* if there child went breathless
I felt so "icky". I thought about how I would react if I saw a child experience a severe reaction. I knew I would , so I just kept hoping that we'd be called so I could get the heck outta there.

I really try not to judge, I just can't help but think about vaccines when I see children around that age (2, 4, 6mo etc). Even when I see a disabled child or Autistic child or hear of a SIDS case, my mind automatically thinks "...was it a vaccine reaction??...". I know that not ALL cases of such illnesses/death are because of vaccines......but my mind just *goes there*.
#18 of 21 Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Pic of card.
You are awesome for doing that.
#19 of 21 Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We've never been exposed to that, because we go to a family practice doctor. I've actually never seen a baby or young child in the waiting room.
#20 of 21 Old 03-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Pic of card.
I think I'm going to put that on a bumper sticker!
#21 of 21 Old 03-10-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Our doctor does not "do" vaccinations, he has his own private practice. If people want them, he'll write an RX for them to go to the regular clinic or health department. He is not a believer in vaccines.
wow...where do you live?? cause i wanna move there...

peace...

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page