Vaccinations needed for SS#?!!? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 03-24-2007, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Yes, when you give birth in a hospital. But if you give birth at home the paperwork isn't automatically done for you, you need to do it yourself, hence the PITA hassles some people have faced.

Also, not done for you if you do it at a birthing center either... And standing all day in line at the SS office with a newborn SUCKS to say the least. And I agree with some of the pp, I still don't see how the little immunization card (which does not have a picture) establishes identity....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#62 of 65 Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
I still don't see how the little immunization card (which does not have a picture) establishes identity....
Plus, frankly, a picture of a baby doesn't tell you a whole lot. Most parents would probably be able to pick out a picture of their baby from a line-up, and perhaps a civil servant might be able to conclude that the babe in arms is identical to the babe in picture, but then again they might not. Babies definitely tend to have certain similarities. Oh, and they change a lot. There is a reason why photo IDs are not yet proposed for newborns
#63 of 65 Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
Right - and a medical record is identification in what way? Unless you are the only person in the country with your name and no one else has ever stolen your identity or lived before you with the same name, a medical record is not proof of anything, other than that someone who claimed to be named talk de jour received treatment from Dr. Vaxalot. Not sure what's so difficult to grasp about that.
Exactly. Like the time my mom got a letter in the mail from her primary care physician telling her that she had cancer. Which was then followed by a phone call two days later from the doctor's office telling her that they had sent it to the wrong patient (they meant to send it to a different patient who had the same first and last name). Or the time the dentist asked me when I was actually there in the chair when it was that I quit smoking (which I've never done) b/c they pulled the chart for a different person who has the same first and last name.
#64 of 65 Old 03-25-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Plus, frankly, a picture of a baby doesn't tell you a whole lot. Most parents would probably be able to pick out a picture of their baby from a line-up, and perhaps a civil servant might be able to conclude that the babe in arms is identical to the babe in picture, but then again they might not. Babies definitely tend to have certain similarities. Oh, and they change a lot. There is a reason why photo IDs are not yet proposed for newborns
Excellent point. My ds at birth and 5 days later looked totally different. Hmmm other than waiting for an insurance card (they accept that right??)...I understand they are trying to get stricter because of all the fraud but I just can't see a very good solution for this problem. I just don't think it is right to REQUIRE someone to birth in a hospital. If they accepted a letter from a doctor confirming you were pregnant and due around this time, maybe one after stating you did in fact have a live birth ( that is what was required for our birth certificate)... but than that brings us back to everything that could be already determined by the birth certificate... Hmmmmm okay, still thinking on that one...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#65 of 65 Old 03-25-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowerofnada View Post
WTF? DD has had a SS card since she was born and has never received a single vax. In the state where I lived at the time (MS), when you applied for a birth certificate while in the hospital, it automitically applied you for a SS card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Yes, when you give birth in a hospital. But if you give birth at home the paperwork isn't automatically done for you, you need to do it yourself, hence the PITA hassles some people have faced.
Ohhhhh ok I understand now. I totally missed that. Man, that sucks. All my sympathies to you homebirthers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page