Vaccinations needed for SS#?!!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O.k. this is mainly a vent but, I went to the Social Security Office to pick up a card for my 3 mo son. I brought his birth cert. like they told me to. Then the lady at the window told me I needed to show his vaccination records to get a card. "He hasn't been vaccinated", I told her. "All babies get a shot when they're born", she replied. "Mine didn't...I'm positive", I asserted after she questioned me AGAIN and thought I was crazy. She called another employee and asked her. She told me the same thing . Apparently they need another "form of identification" like a shot record.

Ridiculous.

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#2 of 65 Old 03-08-2007, 12:00 AM

Here http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10023.html#how

It says that you just need a Drs record...so I guess that could be a file or a letter from the dr office. It also says baptismal or religious record...
hth

ETA: I wonder if you could fill out a blank shot record and say ok here it is....they will ask why nothing on there, and you say no shots and smile. They didn't say it had to be full... :snark

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#3 of 65 Old 03-08-2007, 01:03 AM

I guess it varies by state, because we just mailed in a form and I think the midwives added documentation. Nothing about vaxes here...total BS. We got the SSN card in the mail a few weeks later.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#4 of 65 Old 03-08-2007, 01:07 AM

Mine was mailed automatically a few weeks after we got the birth cert, but I didn't know it was going to and was prepared to go apply for it. When I called the social security office to find out about what we needed to bring, they said a blank vaccination record was fine, as long as it had a record of at least one doctor visit. If you do well baby visits, they should be able to give you a filled out card with visit information.

Best of luck!
#5 of 65 Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

We used our health insurance card that had the baby's name on it along with the birth certificate. Noone ever mentioned anything about vax's.
#6 of 65 Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Anyway my DD got her SS# before she had any vaccinations. We just used her birth certificate and another document of her birth. DH got his SSN without any proof of vaccinations.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#7 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 AM

odd...i didnt need anything to other than a proof of birth from the hospital...which i was given before i left the hospital...

peace...

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#8 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 12:21 AM

you don't need a shot record. a reciept from the dr's office will suffice stating his last visit w/ the child's name on it. (I had to submit one to change the error SSA made on my DS card- they spelled his middle name wrong). call someone else in the SSA office. there is a general #.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#9 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 AM

The lady at the SS office said the same thing to us....actually, she was really rude about it and said something like "This is the problem you people have when you don't birth in a hospital and don't have shots." : We had the BC, we just needed another form of ID and they took our family doctor's 'reciept' on their letterhead. I think it's funny because it seems that letterhead would be easier to falsify than a vaccine record.
#10 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I got my SS# for my DS3 before I ever filed the birth certificate.

Frankly, I really did not want to get the SS#, but my DH insisted and that would be another thread.

Quote:
The lady at the SS office said the same thing to us....actually, she was really rude about it...
Yeah, what else is new? When my DH died, I got the office witch waiting on me.

Quote:
I think it's funny because it seems that letterhead would be easier to falsify than a vaccine record.
Ain't that the truth!?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#11 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 AM

Funny, cause I called SS yesterday w/ replacing my dd's SS card since it was lost in a move. The woman sounded so perplexed when I told her she hasn't recieved any shots. I wish I saw the look on her face. Our conversation lasted 5 minutes and she still didn't believe me. I just hung up!
#12 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 02:09 AM

I just recieved my son's ss#card in the mail. When I went to get his ss#, the woman behind the counter said the same thing about a shot record. I said I don't have it, but I had his health ins card. However, the health ins. card did not have his birthdate on it. So She tells me that she would have to send out his birthcirt. to verify accuracy, because of a law passed March '05 and it would take up to took 6 weeks. I was ok with it, but It was really disturbing the look I recieved from her when I said he was born at home, and then when I said that he hasn't had any of his shots. It was like I could read her mind... "Oh these new hippies Mamas!" I wanted to say, 'I am a hippie Mama and proud of it!'

Ang O
#13 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
O.k. this is mainly a vent but, I went to the Social Security Office to pick up a card for my 3 mo son. I brought his birth cert. like they told me to. Then the lady at the window told me I needed to show his vaccination records to get a card. "He hasn't been vaccinated", I told her. "All babies get a shot when they're born", she replied. "Mine didn't...I'm positive", I asserted after she questioned me AGAIN and thought I was crazy. She called another employee and asked her. She told me the same thing . Apparently they need another "form of identification" like a shot record.

Ridiculous.
My "shot" record has my dd's birthday, weights, heights and room for vax info. Ours has a lot of blanks on it, but we've used it for her id to get on an airplane No problems. It was originally given to us at the practice we take dd to for WBV and ear infections.
#14 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 10:42 AM

I've never had anyone ask about shots - and DS has a passport and has travelled with us all over the place.

We've never been asked for a vaccine record - blank or otherwise - for any of the documents we've gotten for him. This is really surprising to hear what you guys have heard.
#15 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 12:34 PM

I actually took the blank shot record to the SS office for DD. The worker cringed but accepted it lol. The dr's office gave it to me because at that point that was ALL that was in her file lol!

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#16 of 65 Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 PM

I took the blank shot record in with just the baby's name and doctor's name and his date of birth. She was a bit confused, but it worked. It seems to vary from state to state as far as what's required.
#17 of 65 Old 03-10-2007, 01:40 AM

We just did this for taxes, too Baby is unvaxed & we just took a "visit record" - it was totally fine. We needed proof of identification.
#18 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 10:33 AM

here's a pdf link to the social security website on how to apply for a social security card. it includes the form and instructions on how to fill it out (including what ID to bring).
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
#19 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I actually applied at the hospital too, but 12 weeks after he was born, I hadn't recieved the card. I really wanted to open a college fund for him and I needed the SS#! The phone woman said since there wasn't a number assigned to him yet that I could go in person to apply (with a BC - period). I looked online beforehand and saw nothing about newborns needing shots. I also asked the desk woman if I could bring a bill from the Doc and she said no.

Anyway, I finally got the darn thing in the mail - 14 weeks later!!!!!

I can't wait to see what other mishaps happen when I tell people ds has no shots!:

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#20 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post

Ridiculous.
That's nuts... my baby didn't have hep b at birth and I got her SS card in the mail with no problem. My midwife handled it though, but I'm not aware of any special thing she had to do...
#21 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 01:05 PM

they still won't give me one. alice hasn't been to a doctor and i asked my MWs for something and they printed out some silly birth announcement thing that had her name spelled wrong. SS gave me a verified document with the # on it, they just won't give me a card.
#22 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

What? Maybe go to your Hospital/midwife to apply for you.

#23 of 65 Old 03-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothragirl View Post
they still won't give me one. alice hasn't been to a doctor and i asked my MWs for something and they printed out some silly birth announcement thing that had her name spelled wrong. SS gave me a verified document with the # on it, they just won't give me a card.
Can you give them an exemption form? I don't know if that would work.
#24 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Mine said shot record too but um, I didn't do a shot at birth so yeah, didn't have it... Um, they do make it rather difficult to get a social and a birth certificate if you go outside the norm. I thought I would be okay doing a birthing center but still had to jump through 20 hoops... It is rather annoying.... In Cali, they will only allow hospitals to do the "special you don't have to handle it" SS and birth certificate. They also accept a crib card (didn't have..)... Did you try the blank record thing? We were required to go see a dr the day after the birth. My midwife said if we didn't they would give us lots a problems with the birth certificate as they don't take the midwife's word for it... :

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#25 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Mine said shot record too but um, I didn't do a shot at birth so yeah, didn't have it... Um, they do make it rather difficult to get a social and a birth certificate if you go outside the norm. I thought I would be okay doing a birthing center but still had to jump through 20 hoops... It is rather annoying.... In Cali, they will only allow hospitals to do the "special you don't have to handle it" SS and birth certificate. They also accept a crib card (didn't have..)... Did you try the blank record thing? We were required to go see a dr the day after the birth. My midwife said if we didn't they would give us lots a problems with the birth certificate as they don't take the midwife's word for it... :
This conversation makes me laugh. I was born in an unassisted home birth in 1978 and my parents walked into the courthouse the next day and said "We just had a baby we need a birth certificate for her". So they got one. My dad signed as the attending doctor. It is crazy sometimes how the world changes in a couple of decades.
#26 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

I brought along the paperwork that my midwives gave me to the Counties records office a couple of weeks or so after Alex was born. No problems at all filling out the paperwork and got the birth certificate in a few weeks. Took the birth cert. and our insurance card with his name on it to the Social Security office and had no problems at all getting a social security number and card within a few weeks. Both in northern CA. Never once was there any mention of vaccination.
#27 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothragirl View Post
They issue you the number on the verified 'document' as a temporary, incase you need to start using the number.

The actual SSN card comes in the mail later on, once it's been printed. It sounds like you will receive it soon.

#28 of 65 Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
???

We got a SS card for our son right away from the hospital paperwork. It was sent to our home about a month after he was born. We live in Illinois, too.

My son has had no vaccines so far.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#29 of 65 Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
This conversation makes me laugh. I was born in an unassisted home birth in 1978 and my parents walked into the courthouse the next day and said "We just had a baby we need a birth certificate for her". So they got one. My dad signed as the attending doctor. It is crazy sometimes how the world changes in a couple of decades.
Seriously it is a deliberate act to ensure we stay birthing at the hospitals. There are actually laws supported by drs who work at the hospitals that are helping to make it easy for those who birth in the hospital and more difficult for those who don't. Well, at least that is what my midwife said. I haven't done all the research myself. But, my experiences support the theory....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#30 of 65 Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 PM

I agree with Paddington, they are just making it as difficult as can be for you. After my first uc I didn't even bother trying to do the ss bit cos I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. and we were penniless as usual. It was actually them that suggested I get it sorted out after about a year of plodding in there with my baby. I would ask for a legal statement from them stating why they are refusing on the grounds that your child has not been vaccinated. I would go and get a docs 'proof' if necessary. I got the runaround for years from these incompetent state robots cos I was nfa. Apparently while homeless you don't need money to eat. Anything outside of the 'norm' and their brains just go clunk....clunk.....tho saying that homelessness is becoming the 'norm'. I was photographed by the ss whilst living in a tent, I had uc'ed a coupla weeks before. The guy turned up on my eldest dd's birthday to tell me I had been co-habiting, we had a small trailer by then and I just ordered him off the site. When I went to pick up MY dole cheque the ss guy actually handed it to me and as I reached to take it actually took it back! I was stunned, he kept saying just sign this to say you have a partner and I'll give you the cheque. Well I kicked a chair over on the way out and the dork handed the cheque to my 5 yr old and said 'give that to mummy'. I refused it and said I'd be contacting his superiors right away, he was practically begging me to take it after that.Yuck! I've had to sit in their offices for up to 6 hours once with 2 dc under age 2 because they refused to give me my cheque for being nfa. It does sound as tho you will get the actual card soon tho, I hope so. It can get very wearying and the plan is to wear you down so you don't bother claiming benefit, apparantly in the uk anyway there is millions in unclaimed benefits, probably all the single-moms these nutters feel should go right without.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page