Eczema caused by vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-09-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has eczema. She is the first in our family to have it. She has flair despite what I do to help. I know that eczema is your immune system overreacting to something. Can vaccines cause this? DD has been fully vaccinated on schedule until her 18 month shots when we decided not to continue with them. Is there any research on this? I'm just wondering what has caused it and I'm trying to rule everything out. Thanks.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Eczema is becoming more and more common. At one point it was so rare that almost everyone could say they didn't have a family history of it. There are probably lots of reasons why it's becoming more common and vaccines may very well play a role in it. (Personally I believe they do.) You really won't find any hard and fast evidence to prove that vaccines cause eczema, though.

Have you tried eliminating common food allergens from her diet and from yours if you're still nursing? The biggest one that should always be tried is dairy, both cow and goat. If you have, sorry to be redundant - I just never know without asking.
#3 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Spy

IMO the only case vaccination can be ruled out as a factor is when a child has never been vaccinated but still has eczema .

The research, however, would require someone actually to suspect the connection and then run a study using large enough groups on vaccine free children as controls. So Plummeting is right - we are not likely to see it anytime soon .
applejuice and rachelsmama like this.
#4 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 AM

Hi there, I can only speak for myself here but, I have never been vaccinated (I'm 34) and get HORRIBLE eczema on my hands often.
I personally don't think there is a connection, at least I know that there isn't with me.
ss834 likes this.
#5 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
This is a good example of the puzzling state of theories about causation.

Let's pretend. Eczema may have something to do with digestive difficulties, for example leaky gut. Therefore, anyone with such digestive difficulties may manifest eczema, although some people probably have the digestive problems without the eczema. In some children, vaccines mess up the digestion. In many children they do not. In some children antibiotics mess up the digestion, but in some children they do not. Some kids have vaccines but no antibiotics, some have antibiotics but no vaccines, some have neither. And some people end up with digestive difficulties due to other causes, completely unconnected to any vaccines or antibiotics they may have had.

Causation isn't simple when it comes to chronic problems, like eczema, asthma, etc.
#6 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 02:52 PM

I know too many children who developed it right after receving vaccinations to believe their isn't a link. (For that matter, I developed it postpartem, after receiving IV abx as well as the Rhogham shot - both gut and immune system disruptors).

I do not find anecdotal evidence of people who were never vaxed who have eczema, autism, etc. to be relevant, b/c it is nowhere implied that vaccination is the *ONLY* cause of such conditions, merely *a* cause or exacerbating factor.
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly View Post
I know too many children who developed it right after receving vaccinations to believe their isn't a link. (For that matter, I developed it postpartem, after receiving IV abx as well as the Rhogham shot - both gut and immune system disruptors).

I do not find anecdotal evidence of people who were never vaxed who have eczema, autism, etc. to be relevant, b/c it is nowhere implied that vaccination is the *ONLY* cause of such conditions, merely *a* cause or exacerbating factor.
Our ds (who is 22m.o. now) had his first outbreak of eczema at 6 months soon after his second set of shots DTaP, HiB and PCV (his first set was at 4 months and the last one was at 8 months...NEVER AGAIN!). My poor baby has been having bad eczema ever since
applejuice likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 04:01 PM

My DS has bad eczema also, I have always felt that his allergies were caused in some way by vaccinations,
I stop vaccinating him at 15 months when I found out it was not mandatory and have been working with a Naturopath to help balance his immune system and flush his body,
I also see a family doctor and we spoke about vaccine's at our last visit and he said he wouldn't doubt that his allergies were due to vaccine's,
Some children are more suseptable I think to having reactions whether they are large or small.
The naturopath has been doing a wonderful job and my DS is getting much better.
I don't think all cases of eczema are from vaccinations put the cases of eczema and asthma have been increasing so rapidly that I find it hard to beleive that there is no link.
The only research that has been done is a study by the Mayo clinic in 2004 that states the top allergens for dermatitis are Mercury-Thimersal, Formeldyhyde and aluminum which are all found in vaccine's.
I hope that your DD gets better soon I know how frustrating eczema can be..
If you have any questions about controlling her eczema you can PM me and I can give you some tips that I use with my DS.

Take care
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 15 Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 PM

I hadn't had any vaxes at the time I developed asthma and eczema.

However, there is some evidence to suggest that being too clean can lead to asthma and eczema. All those antibacterials aren't as good for us as the adverts would have us believe.
#10 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Both my kids (18 months apart in age) developed eczema within 3 weeks of getting their DTaP and Rotavirus vaccines. We did a spaced out schedule for both of them, getting one or two at a time. My oldest, who was fully vaccinated up to a year, had food-intolerance-caused eczema for 2 years after her last vaccine. Amazingly, we were told by our pediatrician that they were unrelated and she also said eczema was not food-related and meds were the only option. We saw an allergist who ruled out allergies, but with our own food journal, discovered about a dozen foods that were causing the flare-ups. Once eliminated, she was eczema free (and recovered completely, no allergies or intolerances anymore) around her 3rd birthday. Our second child, who only got a couple of vaccines, recovered from her eczema after 6 weeks (we stopped vaccinating completely after realizing the eczema-vaccine link). Additionally, my oldest lost half her language (dada, baba, etc) around the same time the eczema started, right after getting her third DTaP / Rotavirus vaccine at 9- 10 months old.

Coincidence? Not in our case. Additionally, all 4 of their fully vaccinated cousins born after the 2000's have eczema, but no of the family members older than that have ever had eczema.

applejuice likes this.
#11 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 10:26 AM

My son had eczema when he was younger, and was unvaxed.

He has since been vaxxed, and I'm not claiming any cure, but the eczema hasn't returned.

I don't think there is enough evidence to say either way. It's probably theoretically possible that vaccines trigger eczema in some kids. My son has had more local reaction to the glue on the band-aids than the actual injection. He gets a band-aid shaped rash that lasts a day or two.

#12 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)

It seems to be generally accepted that eczema can indeed be caused by vaccination: http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/vaccine-reactions.html

Apparently, there are different kinds of skin reactions to different vaccines, but note that the adjuvant, aluminum hydroxide, can cause a reaction all by itself, in up to 19% of those who get it: 

Aluminium hydroxide Induces subcutaneous nodules (small lumps under the skin) in up to 19% of patients. Nodules usually resolve in a few months. Not allergic. Non-specific reaction to a foreign substance.

They brush it off as though it weren't important, because it's not technically an ALLERGIC reaction, and say that it USUALLY resolves.  At least they mention thiomersal (thimerosal) as a potential allergen.

Well, my middle kid's severe skin rash reaction (oozing, red, blistering rash that covered most of his body) lasted for months in that form, before finally fading away to the point where the dermatologist called it "severe blistering eczema."

As for the people who have never been vaccinated and still have eczema, that doesn't mean that vaccines didn't cause it in other people.

I'm not allergic to peanuts, but I've had anaphylactic reactions to bee stings; that doesn't mean that peanuts don't cause anaphylactic reactions in others. 

Eczema is known to be an autoimmune reaction; vaccines are known to cause autoimmune reactions.

Here is an interesting article on thimerosal allergy/sensitivity:  http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516045_3 "Thimerosal is the fifth most common allergen, according to the North American Contact Dermatitis Group (NACDG).[15] The rate of reactivity is 10.2% with a designated clinical relevance of 7.2%, making it one of the least clinically relevant of the 65 allergens tested by the NACDG."

I do take issue with how thimerosal allergy is tested and studied.  I had a documented allergic reaction to eyedrops that were preserved with thimerosal.  I had taken the drops for several days before the reaction set in.

The next time I was exposed to thimerosal was years later, in vaccines.  My immune system went completely out of control, and I had several autoimmune issues going on simultaneously, but it wasn't apparent for a couple of weeks.  According to every rheumatologist I have ever spoken with, this is typical of autoimmune reactions, whether allergy is involved or not.

I think it's very clear that this kind of reaction is not properly understood by those who believe vaccines don't cause serious problems.

#13 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Homeschooling,mom to DS1 ('02) , DS2 ('03) , and DD1 ('14) . Now living in a very cold place
#14 of 15 Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxfinn View Post

Both my kids (18 months apart in age) developed eczema within 3 weeks of getting their DTaP and Rotavirus vaccines. We did a spaced out schedule for both of them, getting one or two at a time. My oldest, who was fully vaccinated up to a year, had food-intolerance-caused eczema for 2 years after her last vaccine. Amazingly, we were told by our pediatrician that they were unrelated and she also said eczema was not food-related and meds were the only option. We saw an allergist who ruled out allergies, but with our own food journal, discovered about a dozen foods that were causing the flare-ups. Once eliminated, she was eczema free (and recovered completely, no allergies or intolerances anymore) around her 3rd birthday. Our second child, who only got a couple of vaccines, recovered from her eczema after 6 weeks (we stopped vaccinating completely after realizing the eczema-vaccine link). Additionally, my oldest lost half her language (dada, baba, etc) around the same time the eczema started, right after getting her third DTaP / Rotavirus vaccine at 9- 10 months old.

Coincidence? Not in our case. Additionally, all 4 of their fully vaccinated cousins born after the 2000's have eczema, but no of the family members older than that have ever had eczema.

This sounds like what happened to my dd following the rota and dtap shots. Beautiful clear skin prior to and bloody weeping eczema 2-3 weeks following the shots that would flare if I took any dairy products (through the nursing). The pediatrician said she would have it for life and benadryl is my answer. I purchased a book called "the eczema diet"
which focused on acidic vs alkaline foods and that helped a lot. Also stopped using soaps on her and we did only water baths with almond oil and Shea butter as a moisturizer. She is 18 months now, has been eczema free for more than 12 months and is even tolerant of dairy in small amounts. Of course I stopped the vaccinations after that first shot and she did not get any more vaccines. She also drinks lots of chicken stock at every meal and is still nursing and I think that helps. No one in my family has eczema but I developed a rare autoimmune skin condition shortly after I got my shots for college after moving to the United States. When you start to notice these things you put two and two together......
BeckyBird and sassyfirechick like this.
#15 of 15 Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Eczema is a well-known, clear contraindication for the smallpox vaccine. 

Its presence is related to allergies. It has a genetic component.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/14417.php

fruitfulmomma and BeckyBird like this.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page