"No link b/w Mercury and Autism" : New Study - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This article doesn't go into much depth, but I thought I would pass it on. It will be interesting to hear thoughts in regard to this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070503...m_070503210131
#2 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
I can't tell without seeing the study, but if Dr. Fombonne was assuming that autistic children's bodies process mercury in the same way that non-autistic children's bodies process mercury, he is off on the wrong foot immediately.
#3 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM

I wonder who funded the study? Doesn't really say. Probably a pharma company!

As Deborahy mentions...doesn't even attempt to tackle the thought that some children process metals differently thus saying that mercury levels in one child could be the same as another -- but their bodies have different reactions to that level! Thus the reason it is an inherited sensitivity with an environmental TRIGGER!

I keep reminding myself that ONE day...ONE DAY...this story will break and we will find all kinds of evidence that these big pharma companies have known all along the link between vaccinations and autism...but when I see faulty research like this...it makes me wonder when that day will come!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#4 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 PM

Surprise, surprise . . . a study showing no link between vaccines and autism. And it's released just in time for pharma-loving Dr. Fombonne to make his scheduled appearance as an expert witness for the government at the upcoming Omnibus Autism Hearing.
#5 of 8 Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Spy

A question to ask yourself - why would they need a 'new study' in the first place? I mean, ANOTHER 'new study', if quite a number of 'old' studies time after time 'once and for good put the idea to death' many times before'? And what's the bet that there will be more 'new studies' trying to 'show' exactly the same thing?
#6 of 8 Old 05-04-2007, 12:41 AM

There's going to be at least one MMR vaccine/autism study hitting the news soon too . . . just in time to do some more damage control before the big "Vaccine Court" hearing.

It's almost as comical as the "new" pertussis studies. One just came out the other day telling us that parents are giving their newborns pertussis (Uh yeah, no shit). The study, among many pertussis "studies" lately, just happens to coincide with the licensure and promotion of the Tdap vaccine for adolescents/adults.
#7 of 8 Old 05-04-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
The research team examined mercury levels in hair and blood samples provided by autistic children and their mothers and concluded that the levels observed did not differ largely from those taken from children without autism.
I've always been under the impression that blood would show high metals only with very recent exposure and that hair mercury would be low for someone whose ability to excrete it would be impaired, so I don't know how this setup could possibly provide any useful information on the matter. The fact that the study was conducted by looking at these variables suggests to me that either the people conducting the study do not understand much of the theories behind autism/heavy metal poisoning or they just didn't care and wanted to design a study that would get the results they wanted.
#8 of 8 Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 AM

They should have taken it one step further and chelated both groups. But of course that ain't happening. The wouldn't be able to explain away all the autistics dumping mercury.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page