There is no "meningitis vaccine", right? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep hearing about the "meningitis vaccine" and how unvaxxed children are a risk to other children because they may give them meningitis, blah blah. I know the Pneumococcal conjugate and Hib vaxxes may protect against a few strains of infection that may lead to meningitis. But you can still contract meningitits a number of other ways, correct? (Not to mention that children who are vaxxed with Hib are mysteriously at increased risk for contracting Hib immediately afterward). I mean I thought meningitis was a possible result of a bad infection, not a strain of infection itself. If I understand correctly, it would kind of be like saying there is a fever vaccine, a fever is a symptom not a disease and meningitis is a possible outcome, not a disease. Right?!

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 12:49 PM

There is, meningococcal vaccine, but only for 11-12 year olds
Old 05-09-2007, 03:43 PM

There is a meningococcal vaccine administered here in Ontario at 12 months of age. I declined it. Health Canada just started paying for it 2 years ago.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
I keep hearing about the "meningitis vaccine" and how unvaxxed children are a risk to other children because they may give them meningitis, blah blah. I know the Pneumococcal conjugate and Hib vaxxes may protect against a few strains of infection that may lead to meningitis. But you can still contract meningitits a number of other ways, correct? (Not to mention that children who are vaxxed with Hib are mysteriously at increased risk for contracting Hib immediately afterward). I mean I thought meningitis was a possible result of a bad infection, not a strain of infection itself. If I understand correctly, it would kind of be like saying there is a fever vaccine, a fever is a symptom not a disease and meningitis is a possible outcome, not a disease. Right?!
Exactly right. Meningitis is a braing lining inflammation, from whatever bug.
Some meningococcal vaccines actually state in their inserts that vaccination with this vaccine increases carriage of other meningococcal strains, speaking of catching . And you can't 'contract' (or 'give') meningitis, it's a carriage (of whatever you can exchange) that's gone bad due to the carrier's immune problems.

But it sounds just perfect for marketing... fever vaccine, pneumonia vaccine, meningitis vaccine, cancer vaccine. Just make sure you get enough of them and you never get sick again :

User Tag List