What is titers? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea what it is..Someone please explain.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM

Titers I believe are when they draw blood and check levels to see if vaccines have taken are were given properly. The reason I know this is because they are quite common to run on an adopted child from another country to see what was given and if it was effective.
#3 of 3 Old 05-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

LMB, titres are plural, titre is singular (titers and titer also). An antibody titre is a measurement (concentration) of circulating antibodies (humoral immunity most commonly) against a particular antigen either naturally acquired or via vaccination. Blood is drawn and serum is separated from the red blood cells and tested (there are numerous assays that can be performed) for the presence and concentration of antibodies against an antigen (distinct surface protein of a foreign agent). The type of antibody and concentration can determine numerous things such as past exposure, current infection or recent vaccination, and if the concentration of antibodies is low, protective or neutralising. I hope this answers your question.

SM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page