Mmr... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to the debate about non-vaxing vs vaxing. My 2yo has had all of his, and I remember being so scared about his health when he got the MMR:
A few days after getting his MMR shot, he broke out into bumps and fever. I wasn't sure why, because he had his shot, right?!
I took him back to the doctor and they explained that they couldn't think of why he was breaking out like that. Hmmmmm.
I told them, "Well, it clearly looks like chicken pox to me."
"If it gets any worse bring him back. Keep an eye on it" was the response I got. What a load of crap... my own mother saw him and said "How did he get chicken pox?!" without having to look him over for 5 minutes.

So here I am, I have a 6 month old and am thinking about non-vaxing him. Like most people who are new to the thought of non-vaxing I'm a bit overwhelmed.
My point to this story is that I am so thankful for all of the resources that MDC has made available to parents, and I know for sure that I will at least delay vaccines from now on if I do them at all.
Thank you MDC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 02:07 AM

I'm glad you're here Stephig. I can't tell you how much I've learned and evolved as a parent from being a part of MDC. So many moms on here are so knowledgeable and inspiring. Good luck to you on your quest for knowledge and truth.
#3 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your child got a rash within 10 days of the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) it was probably a "measle" type reaction which is not uncommon. OR did he get the chicken pox vax at the same time? My DD got the measles from the MMR. The doc said it was the worst "reaction" he had ever seen and the CDC confirmed that you CAN get the measles from the MMR because it is a live vaccine. I still vaccinate, but my other DC's got/will get the MMR when they are older....at least 2 1/2. BUT I am also on the fence....my 14 month old hasn't had any vax's since he was 6 months.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :

#4 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess that it was the measles then. It was hard to tell because it was such a muted form of it. It's just weird. I'm definitely still on the fence about all of it, especially because I'm not breastfeeding my little one, so he is not getting all of my antibodies.
#5 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My oldest grandson was vaccinated until the age of 15 mo. Then we learned about the vaccine controversy and decided to delay or do one vaccine at a time...

We gave him the measles component of the MMR and within a weeks or so, he came down with the measles.

That was the last vaccine he ever got and the last doctor's visit too, btw.

He is 10 yr old now.

I have two more grandsons who are completely vaccine (and abx) free and neither has had any childhood diseases. But we are ready for them.

We have learned that most childhood diseases have a real purpose and are a part of growing up and developing a strong and healthy immune system.
#6 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 333 Post(s)
Quoted: 2773 Post(s)
Hi Stephig,
Welcome to the forum! I've told this story before, but briefly:

I was born in 1950 in a non-vaxing family. I've got two older brothers. My mother wanted to breastfeed, but it was very challenging in those days and she failed totally with the two oldest and only managed about 3 months in my case. Lots of diseases circulating in those days, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox and of course, polio. In spite of being formula fed and unvaxed we are all still here to complain about life. My two younger siblings were both breastfed a bit longer, again, unvaxed.

The one thing that is a problem now is that unless you've had measles, mumps, rubella and CP yourself, you don't have antibodies to pass on, either during childbirth or via breastmilk. My mother, of course, did. So did I. But thanks to vaccines, infants are now largely unprotected from diseases that are dangerous during infancy, because they don't vax for these until kids are over a year old.

On the bright side, because most people do vax (?), diseases aren't heavily circulating. In fact they are rare. Which leaves us all with a moral dilemma, which has come up on this board many times: do we risk our children for the sake of the herd?

But we aren't the ones who came up with the defective vax strategy in the first place, are we?

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had chicken pox when I was about 7, but never had measles, mumps, or anything else. However, I did get pneumonia a lot when I was little for some reason . Either way, I think I might call my doctor's office and ask them for some detailed information about the vaccines.
I sometimes feel that on here things may be a little one sided. No offense, it's just how I feel.
#8 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephig View Post
Well, I had chicken pox when I was about 7, but never had measles, mumps, or anything else. However, I did get pneumonia a lot when I was little for some reason . Either way, I think I might call my doctor's office and ask them for some detailed information about the vaccines.
I sometimes feel that on here things may be a little one sided. No offense, it's just how I feel.
That is okay. Sometimes it is one-sided. Starting with the doctor's office is good, but I'd suggest continuing to research until you start feeling like you have some idea of what vaccines do, exactly, and what the possible consequences are between vaxing and not vaxing.

Good fortune and clear sailing on your research!

prevent it
#9 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Good for you to think twice about vaxes. A year ago, I would have thought you were insane for not vaxing your DC. I have a science/microbiology background and thought I knew all about these diseases and vaccines. I took a semester long course in Immunology alone!

What changed my mind? Many things. There is a mama here who lost her DD due a severe vax reaction. Her story is heartbreaking. Also, look at the archives. There are links to sites from the CDC itself. What's in the vax? What's the worst that can happen from getting the actual disease?

After a lot of research and thinking, we are choosing a delayed and selective vax schedule. I believe this is best for *my* DD. I'm in charge of protecting her, not my pediatrician.

I think the "one-sidedness" appears because this is a haven and refuge from how 99% of the world thinks. You can go to many, many websites which will fully support ALL vaxes and it will seem very one-sided there as well.

Do your research. Read as much as your brain can handle! Mine was spinning for weeks when I found MDC and this forum.:
#10 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Go right ahead.... What you'll get from a dr. will be far more one sided than what you find here.

I'm the first to say- do your own research. Don't decide based on what ANY one person or group tells you. Research each disease. Research each vaccine. Figure out the real risks of each.

-Angela
#11 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, I had chicken pox when I was about 7, but never had measles, mumps, or anything else.
You might want to get your tires checked and see what you are immune to.

Quote:
Either way, I think I might call my doctor's office and ask them for some detailed information about the vaccines.
Don't be surprised if you only hear one side.
#12 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
You might want to get your tires checked and see what you are immune to.
Love it! Wish my tire gauge could tell my immunities! Wouldn't that be convenient?

prevent it
#13 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM

YIKES! One sided? You will most certainly get that from your doc! I will be SHOCKED if your doc said anything other than you MUST vaccinate, but please report back! I agree with the previous poster who says do your own research -- by all means ask your doctor, but realize that it does not behoove them to say ANYTHING but vaccinate.

There are a ton of links at the top of this board -- lots of book recommendations too. I think if you read this forum enough, you will realize that there are a mix of folks -- some who vaccinate, some who selectively/delay vax's, and those of us who have decided to forego it all together. Good luck in your search!
#14 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I'm TOTALLY expecting them to harp on me about the "benefits" of receiving the vaccines. But part of me wants to really see what it is that they are telling people versus detailed research that can be found through the vaccine forum on MDC alone, kwim?
However I'm really happy with the nurses that work at the doctor's office, she told me that I am more than welcome to delay the vaccines.... which is better than saying I'm horrible for not wanting them IMO. I haven't yet talked to the doctor, but I think they could be pretty understanding about it from the few years I've had them as my dc pediatrician.
#15 of 17 Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm TOTALLY expecting them to harp on me about the "benefits" of receiving the vaccines. But part of me wants to really see what it is that they are telling people versus detailed research that can be found through the vaccine forum on MDC alone, kwim?
However I'm really happy with the nurses that work at the doctor's office, she told me that I am more than welcome to delay the vaccines.... which is better than saying I'm horrible for not wanting them IMO. I haven't yet talked to the doctor, but I think they could be pretty understanding about it from the few years I've had them as my dc pediatrician.
MDC isn't the only place you can find research with regard to vaccines...and I do recommend finding it outside of MDC. The likelihood of your ped (or any ped for that matter) being well-versed in even just the basic ingredients that are found in vaccines would be shocking! I have yet to meet a ped or a ped nurse that actually knows what is in the vaccines. There was a very recent thread on here regarding a mother who started doing some research for an article she was working on...read only the CDC and FDA information and is still horrified.

I would actually recommend the opposite...I would read all that I could first...then call the ped's office. How are you going to know the difference between what they tell you and the actual facts if you do not do your research first? BTW, has your peds office ever given you the vaccine inserts? Did you know this is a requirement? Most peds offices (that I have been to) do not give them unless requested.

There is a ton of information out there ~ and regardless of your final decision ~ do give it your time and attention to research until you feel comfortable. My hope for you is that you go beyond what your ped says and find what makes you at ease. You can always do vaxes later...but you cannot ever undo them once they are done (and very few reactions can be treated).

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#16 of 17 Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 AM

JUST A LITTLE PRICK

Starter Vax Research Post

Tabled Vax Injuries

The Dark Truth

Religious Exemptions

Non-Vaxers are Just Conspiracy Nuts

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#17 of 17 Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
BTW, has your peds office ever given you the vaccine inserts? Did you know this is a requirement? Most peds offices (that I have been to) do not give them unless requested.
Yes, they give them to me without me having to ask. I think they really do care, but IMO most doctors offices are puppets for pharmaceutical companies... and they are of course required to give shots.... I think. I'm soooo naive!

Thank you so much for all the advice and links. It is very helpful to know that I can come somewhere to get such great advice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page