Baby was bitten - tetanus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

My 10 month old's ear was bitten (by another child) today and it is enormous and swollen and sticking straight out from his head.

I've decided to take him to the ped tomorrow morning, and I'm sure she will say something about tetanus - won't she? (DS is 100% unvaccinated). So, first off, I just wanted to say that I'm not worried about him getting tetanus. What I am worried about is not knowing what I'm talking about with the ped! I've seen it mentioned here that there is some sort of shot which should be given if there is a worry about tetanus. Could someone explain this in more detail to me? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 PM

WHY would they want to do tetanus?
you get lock jaw from contaminants in feces.
typically barn animal feces.
i would understand if your child had cut his foot on a rusted nail while on a farm (or even in barkdust at a playground)
but from a child bite???

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#3 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 PM

Just tell her no thank you. You dont have to explain your reasoning to her at all. You dont owe her any explanation.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM

You should not be worried about tetanus if you used proper cleansing methods for the wound and the wound bled.

You can get TIG - Tetanus Immunoglobulin.

Your ped might not be worried about tetanus. Hopefully your ped would not recommend a tetanus shot because it would not be effective on this wound.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#5 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 11:37 PM

like the pp said, a tetanus shot would do nothing for this case if it were tetanus. you would need the TIG. i am not so sure that is necessary for a bite though?

DS 5-11-06
#6 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. Just to make it clear -- I am not worried about DS getting tetanus or any other disease from this bite. (I *am* worried about the physical trauma to the ear and that's why I'm taking him to see the doc). But I want information just because I like to be able to discuss things properly.

So my understanding is that a tetanus vaccine is not effective immediately, so even if the doc thought that there was some chance of tetanus it would not be a reasonable thing for her to recommend. However, there is a Tetanus Immunoglobulin..........what is this exactly?

Also, is there any other disease you can think of which she may want to discuss (ie - try to convince me to get a vaccine for) - like hepatitis maybe?
#7 of 14 Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 PM

My only worry would be infection. Who knows what they might try to push- but remember- vaccines are not emergency medicine. They are not designed to TREAT anything.

Hope he feels better soon!

-Angela
#8 of 14 Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I am somewhat worried about infection, too. His ear really is pretty messed up. : But I haven't even thought about how I would feel about giving him antibiotics.....neither of my kids have ever taken antibiotics. I guess that's a whole 'nother question.
#9 of 14 Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 AM

My dd was bitten by our dog a couple of months ago : . They, of course, said we needed a tetanus shot and I told them we're religiously opposed. She acted confused so I then said that we have a religious exemption and after running it by someone else she just said "ok". They also said that we absolutely needed antibiotics. They acted all dramatic about it like dd was in serious danger of dying from an infected wound w/o them. I took the prescription and never needed to fill it. Remarkably, dd healed just fine w/o antibiotics or a tetanus shot. Just don't let them bully you or scare you into doing anything. Good luck and I hope your son feels better soon.
#10 of 14 Old 06-12-2007, 03:31 PM

TiG works on current tetanus infection. a tetanus shot at the time of an injury will only tie up your immunity. it is a BAD idea. tetanus shot will only work for FUTURE injuries which would become infected with tetanus.

DS 5-11-06
#11 of 14 Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM

Unless the child who bit your child has a lot of unprotected sex and shoots drugs, I wouldn't worry about Hep.

Practice common sense first aid, keep it clean, let it heal. Watch for signs of infection.

Don't know if you know many wrestlers or rugby players, but ear injuries often look pretty bad, but unless they are repeated they usually return to normal once swelling has gone down. You only usually see permanent damage (called lovingly 'cauliflower ear') in really hardcore athletes. I wouldn't worry too much about it... but of course that's easy for me to say, I'm not his momma!

Don't let 'em presssure you. Remember you can always just say NO.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#12 of 14 Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwly View Post
Unless the child who bit your child has a lot of unprotected sex and shoots drugs, I wouldn't worry about Hep.
:
#13 of 14 Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Aww, your poor babe. I hope he feels better soon.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#14 of 14 Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Babe is healing splendidly. It is much better every morning! The doc didn't mention a thing about shots of any sort (in relation to this bite, that is - although she did ask at the end of the appointment "are you absolutely sure you don't want any shots?" and when I said yes, she said fine). However, she did push the need for antibiotics quite strongly. I filled the prescription, but I am waiting to see an actual sign of infection before giving them to the baby. Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page