Vaccination Exemption Form - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help here please. I'm new to MDC, but I need some advice on how to handle my local health department in Washington County, Utah. I tried to get the exemption form (my girls have been vaxed up until about one year ago) from my local health department on Friday because my older twins start school this Friday. Well...first of all they told me I had to come back on Monday or Tuesday because "we treat that like immunizations" and that's the only days they do them. I asked for the paperwork so I could fill it out ahead of time because according to them I "should plan on being here a while because we will be really busy." But they would not even give me the papers, telling me I would have to fill them out when I came back. Oh - and by the way, it's $25 PER CHILD for the exemption! WHAT!? I was completely irate and found out that no one else I know has had to pay a fee.

Fast forward to yesterday when I tried to go into the office at 12:30, unloading all five of my toddlers only to find out that of course, they were closed for lunch - you've got to love the government! Then I return at 2:30 and the nurse informs me that I will have to come back today because they are not taking any more walk-ins. I tell her I just need an exemption form and she tells me they are $25. And get this - the lady in front of me had the same request and when told about the $25 fee she says, "Well, how much are the vaccinations?" Is that REALLY the reason she's choosing not to vaccinate? "Well, honey...let me fill you with all this poison - we can't afford not to!" AAGGGHH!

So I tell this nurse I want to speak to someone about this fee because I'm not going to pay it. She refers me to an administrator who informs me that this fee was voted on by the Board of Health via the County Commissioner's office and that I should talk to them. Phone call after phone call later, I still have no answers other than "we just had our board meeting today where there were members of the public present (gee...thanks for informing ME of this meeting!) and the board decided to uphold the fees as they are." And then she proceeded to explain the reasons behind the fee. She said that my county is the lowest funded public health department in the NATION, not just the state. I wanted to pull the bull sh** card, but she's just the secretary so I chose not to kill the messenger. Then she says that I have to pay the fee because I have to consult with a nurse (as if I'm some kind of idiot who didn't do any research about it and she's going to change my mind) and then the paperwork has to be filed and I have to be "followed" so that my kids can be pulled from school when there is an outbreak. Yeah, like I'm not educated enough to pull my kids from school when something happens - I'm going to wait for the government to tell me what to do! And all of these things cost money. Well boo-freakin-hoo! I'm not going to be penalized and discriminated against for choosing not to vaccinate my kids. What kinds of fees to the people who are vaccinating have to pay? Yeah, that's what I thought - nothing!

So as you can tell, I'm pretty pissed off about it. I really don't want my girls to have to miss their first day of school because of some beurocratic red tape, but I'm NOT paying their damn fee! I called the county commissioner and his office said they are looking into it but will not be able to get back with me until Friday morning at the earliest and the Health Officer is out on vacation for the week. How convenient.

At this point I'm just trying to bide my time until I can get a definite answer. What I really want is to change the whole fee issue, but I would settle for a fee waiver because I happen to not make a lot of money for my family of 7. I would be happy to put my kids in school if they would write out a $50 check to the health department. But I called the school and the secretary told me (which I know for myself is incorrect) that I could download an exemption form online and have it notarized and that would cover it. I found out though that in Utah you have to have the form from the health department for it to count (go figure - so they can charge you some ridiculous fee!). But I had the forms notarized that I printed myself and I'm taking them to THIS secretary on Friday so I can at least buy myself some time until I get to the bottom of it.

So after my novel, my question is: do you have any recommendations? I am kind of at a loss for ideas other than what I've already done. Is there anything I can say to the powers that be that will help my case?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I know you guys will have some great ideas.

Janet

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#2 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just asked for the vaccination record form and there was an exemption statement line for a signature there--that's all the school needed. not sure if the forms are terribly different state-to-state, but it makes me wonder--what if you were getting a vax update and just needed the form to list them on? What the heck are they charging for? I have to wonder if a doc's office might have something better than the local health department. I'll be curious to find out what the utah folks have done--
#3 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Banned

STATE.

Quote:
But they would not even give me the papers, telling me I would have to fill them out when I came back. Oh - and by the way, it's $25 PER CHILD for the exemption! WHAT!?
We are finding that vaccines have little to do with immunity and a lot to do with our money.

Get the fee required in writing along with the code section of Utah law authorizing said fee.

Then get a free 20 minute legal consultation with three family attorneys to talk about your upcoming lawsuit.

These school systems break the law until someone like you stops em.

So glad I homeschool. You should quit your job, rent a tiny house and do the same.
#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

I was planning on homeschooling until very recently, which makes this whole situation even worse. I am going to school full-time as a nursing student (first semester) and I just don't think I can make myself ask my nanny to educate my children, you know? So we're public schooling for now and I think I'm going to switch to homeschool as soon as I think I can. Who knows? Maybe that will be sooner than I think. I'm just worried about how hectic my schedule is going to be because my husband is going to school full-time too and I do have five kids under five. I have to be realistic about what I can physically, emotionally and mentally handle.

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#5 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_sets_of_twins View Post
I was planning on homeschooling until very recently, which makes this whole situation even worse. I am going to school full-time as a nursing student (first semester) and I just don't think I can make myself ask my nanny to educate my children, you know? So we're public schooling for now and I think I'm going to switch to homeschool as soon as I think I can. Who knows? Maybe that will be sooner than I think. I'm just worried about how hectic my schedule is going to be because my husband is going to school full-time too and I do have five kids under five. I have to be realistic about what I can physically, emotionally and mentally handle.
maybe you should forget the house and move into an old schoolbus and start reading Thoreau:
http://www.amazon.com/Walden-Henry-D.../dp/3895082090

This guy changed my whole outlook as did Ayn Rand.

Seriously take what is yours and give nothing back.

Get legally educated about the vaccine laws in your state and what you can do to avoid em.

Knowledge is big medicine in law.
#6 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Oh - and by the way, it's $25 PER CHILD for the exemption!
OK, first of all - ONE form might cover all your kids for school. In my state, we submit a written objection for exemption; and ONE exemption covers all the kids in my family attending school in the same district.

Call the STATE Health Dept. (you are dealing with one of their local/county subsidiaries, I presume?) to find out the answers you are looking for.

Quote:
I tell her I just need an exemption form and she tells me they are $25.
Again, I would call the State Health Dept. to ask if this is legal. Ask the SHD if THEY will mail you the forms for free.

Quote:
I really don't want my girls to have to miss their first day of school because of some beurocratic red tape,
In my state, there is a grace period after school begins.
You can read UTAH law on exemption here.

Quote:
I called the county commissioner and his office said they are looking into it but will not be able to get back with me until Friday morning at the earliest and the Health Officer is out on vacation for the week. How convenient.
Call the State Commissioner, instead.

Quote:
I called the school and the secretary told me (which I know for myself is incorrect) that I could download an exemption form online and have it notarized and that would cover it.
Yes, you are correct. The law says that you must obtain the form from the Health Dept.

eta: Contact info for Utah State Dept. of Health.

Quote:
David Sundwall, MD, Executive Director
(801) 538-6111

Division of Community and Family Health Services (CFHS)

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#7 of 7 Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:

So after my novel, my question is: do you have any recommendations? I am kind of at a loss for ideas other than what I've already done. Is there anything I can say to the powers that be that will help my case?
"You will be hearing from my lawyer."

Seriously; if you can afford it.

I'd also try contacting the State Attorney.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page